Converting D20 Races to Hero

Ryhope Wood

Hi all

I posted a rule question about the cost of negative skill levels yesterday. A lot of people looked at it but noone replied which suggests that my question was very stupid! :help:

Anyway, I asked the question because I am playing around with conversions for my two favourite D20 settings: Conan and Midnight. It is common to see in D20 racial and cultural packages that race X isn't very good at Persuasion checks or at Climbing checks.

I want to simulate this in a package deal and thought about using negative skill levels. According to 5ER and TUS, characters can purchase negative skill levels for curses etc at -1 on any one Skill for three points; -1 to any one Skill group for 5 character points; and so on. If I was to price this as a disadvantage within the package deal should I assume that a -1 to any Persuasion check roll is worth a 3 point disadvantage? Alternatively should I just inverse the cost of purchasing a +1 with one skill worth 2 points?

Your thoughts would be much appreciated including alternative ways to simulate this.

Thanks,

Ian

Re: Converting D20 Races to Hero

Actually - I like the first way. -1 for 3 points to show the character is particularly stubborn and not easily persuaded. It adds more variation into what skills get rolled against - rather than just rolling against the characteristic of the target.

I think it should be a 3/2 skill. 3 for the first -1, and 2 for every additional -1.

I would buy it as a social limitation rather than a PSL. i.e. Social Lim: Orc (-2 or -4 on all interaction skill rolls with non-Orcs) frequently, minor or major

Or Social Limitation: Racial Enimity with Dorns (-1 or -2 on all Interaction Skill Rolls) Occasional, Minor

There are examples of it being done before in the books so... The understanding is that these are "pleasant" interaction rolls. I would not let it apply to Interrogation or Presence Attacks.

Addendum:

I have always found it odd that there isn't more interest in Midnight among the Hero Community. Conversion should be a simple matter or adding in a few (or maybe a dozen) Heroic Paths and then figuring out a magic system that gets the right "feel."

I am sure that somewhere on Killer Shrikes site there is a magic system to fit. It is just a matter of finding it and tweaking as necessary to get the genre. 95% of Midnight is setting rather than mechanics.

Actually, I got my book right here.

Races

Dwarves

Elves

*Snow

*Wood

*Sea

*Jungle

Gnome

Halfling

Humans

*Dorns

*Sarcosans

*Erenlanders

Orcs

Dwarrow

Dworgs

Elfling

* Blue colors mean that these are already done.

Classes

Channeler

Legate

Defender

Druid

Wizard

*These all get solved with choice of a magic system barring the Defender. That is simple, just build a Martial Arts style or adopt one.

Heroic Paths

Chanceborn

Charismatic

Dragonblooded

Earthbonded

Faithful

Feyblooded

Giantblooded

Guardian

Healer

Ironborn

Juggernaut

Mentalist

Mystic

Naturefriend

Philosopher

Quickened

Seer

Shadow walker

Steelblooded

Warg

*Many of these may not need a full outlined path. They may be best represented by Talents or Superskills.

Magic System

The Actual System

Talismans

Lesser & Greater Spellcasting

Rituals

Nexuses

Covenant Items

All the rest is building monsters and characters. Most of your construction goes away when you select a magic system. The rest is all flavor stuff anyway.

Good luck and keep us appraised.

What is "Midnight"? Educate me?

To summarize it. Think about Lord of the Rings. Now, imagine that Sauron won. Advance 100 years of utter bleakness and begin the campaign. Darkness, despair, and finding glory in waging an unwinable war.

To summarize it. Think about Lord of the Rings. Now' date=' imagine that Sauron won. Advance 100 years of utter bleakness and begin the campaign. Darkness, despair, and finding glory in waging an unwinable war.[/quote']

My big FH campaign world (That 've been working on since 4th ed.) is similar. I like to call it post-apoc fantasy.

Anyway' date=' I asked the question because I am playing around with conversions for my two favourite D20 settings: Conan....[/quote']

Conan for HERO

http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptionsbook/reh/conan.html

Other REH characters (including ones from Conan's world):

http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptionsbook/bookchar.html#REH

Monsters from REH stories:

http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptionscreatures/creatures.html#fiction

I've done this for years in my campaigns. Previously, I went with a modification of the Reputation disad. Nowadays, I'd go with a combination of Reputation and Social Limitation. Depends on what you're going for, really - Orcs might only get a Social Limitation to reflect their savage upbringing, while certain other creatures (like, say, Drow) get both, a Social Limitation to reflect an alien culture and a Reputation to reflect their rep as an utterly evil race.

Addendum:

I have always found it odd that there isn't more interest in Midnight among the Hero Community.

I think it can be pretty much summed up as "because we've never heard of it" (and in my case as well "because it is D20 - and I don't delve into news of systems I don't use"). Not much in the way of marketing or advertising - certainly not in Australia at the very least. This is the first mention I've heard on the Fantasy board here as well - and I frequent here quite often.

Too late now though, I've invested too much in Western Shores.

I think it can be pretty much summed up as "because we've never heard of it" (and in my case as well "because it is D20 - and I don't delve into news of systems I don't use"). Not much in the way of marketing or advertising - certainly not in Australia at the very least. This is the first mention I've heard on the Fantasy board here as well - and I frequent here quite often.

Too late now though, I've invested too much in Western Shores.

It doesn't seem to get much air time anywhere near the Hero Boards but it is one of the more successful setting lines out there. FFG is making a Midnight pilot/movie something or ether...

To compare sales by guestimation (excluding Greyhawk)

1. Forgotten Realms

2. Warhammar Fantasy

3. Midnight - Conan - Eberron

4. Iron Kingdoms (excluding minis)

5. Dragonlance

---- insert several products somewhere in here -----

--- Arcanis, Black Company, Blue Rose, Thieves World, Game of Thrones ---

16. Lord of the Rings [Coda]

17. Kingdoms of Kalamar

Now, these are simply guesses but they aren't listed in order of my favorites. I know that Mongoose is bangin down the house in terms of sales but they also have to pay those pesky licensing fees.

*Ptolus may overrun all but #1 & #2 but that is a story yet to be told.

** I also don't know where WOW falls in the sales curve.

I've heard of all of those except Midnight, Arcanis, Blue Rose and Kingdoms of Kalamar.

Eberron only because it has been mentioned on these boards.

Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance from highschool.

Conan, Black Company, Thieves World, Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones from the books.

Iron Kingdoms only from the miniatures (and the wargame for sale) - then I found the comics.

But again it's all for a system I never buy, never follow the news of, rarely play, and don't own the rules for.