Genocide

Wynternight

Re: Genocide

I was thinking of more human issues' date=' like other breeds of rascism seeping into the IHA ideology or at least certain groups of them.[/quote']

Yes.

If you really want to go weird with this, consider the political complexion of the most hardcore "anti-racists", and extend that to hardcore mutant supporters...

And you thought "Commie Mutant Traitors" only existed in Paranoia. ;)

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what justifies a deviance from the human norm? If the ability to use magic is genetic what happens? Not to spark a debate, but if homosexuality is genetic would it also be detected? I need glasses because my eyes are genetically misshaped just like millions of other people. IQ can also be influenced by genes so if someone is really smart could they be a mutant? On the flip side what about genetic defects? If someone is severely retarded due to genes they are technically a mutant.

Here's a question, what if an animal is a mutant? Or would that fall under aliens?

WHen I said "a particular difference" I didn't mean "just any old difference". They would pick on a specific genetic trait associated with the spontaneous development of superpowers in humans because that's what scares them. In the Marvel Universe and the Champions Universe both, all (or nearly all) humans _can_ use magic. Some characters may have a mutant power that lets them use magic without training, and those characters would qualify, but the others wouldn't. Assuming that is, that the mutant hunters were even aware of magic.

What if the IHA does not kill every mutant they encounter, but instead "brainwashes" those susceptible into thinking that they are unclean and must help exterminate the ones that will not voluntarily register and/or turn themselves in for reconditioning. Those people that have been brainwashed, so to speak, know that they will not be allowed into "normal society" because of their abilities, but are fully convinced that they are helping the greater good to survive and have a better life. (They know that they are a "monster" and are helping get rid of the other monsters. That is how they atone for their monstrosity. I'm working along the lines of the Operative from the Serenity movie here.)

Of course, I still really like the idea of them going after all super powered beings eventually. Start small - antimutant sentiment- and work towards the larger goal, a world totally free of super powered beings. They already have a senator in place for the foundation work. Their ultimate goal would have to be kept completely secret, otherwise people like Destroyer, and other villains, would stop giving them support.

WHen I said "a particular difference" I didn't mean "just any old difference". They would pick on a specific genetic trait associated with the spontaneous development of superpowers in humans because that's what scares them. In the Marvel Universe and the Champions Universe both' date=' all (or nearly all) humans _can_ use magic. Some characters may have a mutant power that lets them use magic without training, and those characters would qualify, but the others wouldn't. Assuming that is, that the mutant hunters were even aware of magic.[/quote']

That assumes the mutant gene appears in a particular part of the genome or at least does something to indicate what power the gene holds. Who's to say the power is part of a particular genetic trait? Cyclop's power would be in the genes for eyes while Wolverine's would be scattered over his genome (regeneration in one spot, enhanced senses in another, etc). Just about every distinct power would need a separate mutation wouldn't it?

I also disagree about magic. In comics and stories, magic tends to choose who can use it. Fate always seems to drive particular people to ways to learn magic. Otherwise if almost everyone could learn magic, we'd have "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Astral Projection" at Amazon.

What if the IHA does not kill every mutant they encounter' date=' but instead "brainwashes" those susceptible into thinking that they are unclean and must help exterminate the ones that will not voluntarily register and/or turn themselves in for reconditioning....{cut for brevity}[/quote']

Great idea! Here's a bonus, they claim they can "cure" mutants. Even though that plot hook has been done, it fits in perfectly with your idea. The idea of people of a group considered "unclean" doing things to make themselves "clean" again has happened before in human history. From nuns starving themselves during the Dark Ages to stop their menstruation cycle to homosexuals trying to become straight in todays world, some people will do almost anything to fit in. The carrot of a mutant cure would be too tempting for some.

That way even marginal mutants can join if they can be convinced they need to "know their place". Far from appearing as an anti-mutant group, some mutants would flock to them if their mutations rendered them deformed. So now IHA's frontline grunts wouldn't be anti-mutant soldiers, they'd be desperate monstrous mutants who simply want to be normal.

That assumes the mutant gene appears in a particular part of the genome or at least does something to indicate what power the gene holds. Who's to say the power is part of a particular genetic trait?

The GM. Or in the case of the Marvel Universe they're emulating with this kind of plotline, the writers. In the Marvel Universe, every "mutant" has a particular brainwave pattern, and a distinctive change to their genetic structure that causes this, and which all of them hold in common. Anyone who has this power will develop superpowers. The specific powers they manifest however are determined by how that particular genetic complex interacts with the rest of their genetic structure. Other people, even other superpowered people do not have this. If you decide to include the Distinctive Feature "Detects as Mutant" in your game universe, you have already decided to go this route.

I also disagree about magic. In comics and stories, magic tends to choose who can use it. Fate always seems to drive particular people to ways to learn magic. Otherwise if almost everyone could learn magic, we'd have "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Astral Projection" at Amazon.

In the Marvel Universe they did. The chaos was considerable until Doctor Strange rounded up all the copies and wiped everyone's memories of it. That's the reason why Doc acts to keep magic a secret. You see, magic there is like the violin. It's an easy instrument to play...badly. People with a particular aptitude for magic are often sought out by various forces and individuals looking for a valuable ally, tool, or threat, but everyone can do it, at least a little. The difference between Doctor Strange and the inept teenagers holding a seance to summon wandering spirits is one of degree, not kind.

In the Champions Universe of course, while everyone possesses magic aptitude to one degree or another, whether they can actually put it to any measurable use, depends on how much magic there is to use and whether or not they've receive any training. But fundamentally ordinary zhlubs can sign on with Demon and go through the training, and while they'll never make a Morbane, they may end up being able to learn a few weak tricks, as long that is, as the background magic count is strong enough.

Of course, if there is no such distinctive feature, then they'll just go by "common sense". Smart people who invent gadgets will only be thought to be mutants if their heads are exceptionally bulgy. People who have deviations from the norm that are not disfiguring or particularly advantageous get a pass.

I've always assumed that there was some genetic marker that would separate a "mutant" from a "normal" person. (Or for that matter anyone who has super abilities that was not gained from training or super science exclusively.) When looking at the sources of superpowers in the book, an alien species, psionic powers, genetic manipulation, the use of extradimensional energies, supernatural forces, and even possibly magic could show up as some genetic deviation on a detector. The only thing that wouldn't necessarily show up would be super science and training. So wouldn't this all be counted as different and not the norm in trying to determine what was mutated or unnatural? I've always had the impression that they wanted to keep humanity pure and that the mutants were the first step in their ultimate goal. Find a common enemy that everyone can agree to hate and move on from there with your ultimate goal. (For example: The skinheads were the low level grunts of Genocide, but since they have now changed their name to the IHA, they are in the process of changing their image to become more acceptable in the eyes of humanity that they are trying to save. Hence the skinheads are becoming more covert/ civilized/intelligent. Along the same lines, they are trying to use ignorance and fear as a guide to getting more people to join up with their political agenda.) Of course, the ultimate goal is as I stated earlier- at least I think for my campaign it will; the total annihilation of any super powered being that does not derive their abilities from super science or training. Humans for humanity, the Earth is for Humans. or I could just be getting way off base here. (I'm not using Marvel or DC as a basis for my campaign. There may be influences from both their worlds, but I am not trying to specifically create one or the other. I'm sticking mostly with the Champions Universe with touches of my creations for flavor.)

• 6 years later...