Build Challenge: Mythbusters!

Weldun

Re: Build Challenge: Mythbusters!

Maybe two' date=' depending on how you look at them. I would say that yes, two skills. People can weld, but not all that can can mold the metal after.[/quote']For the amount of points most PS cost, relative other things, I'm going to have to say that the more expansive and inclusive reading of what's included is more appropriate.

I'd put it under PS: Metal Working and consider Welding to be a natural part of the skills needed for it. As well as machining, milling, etc...

TB

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Way back when I was in high school metal shop, I learned a lot of sheet metal stuff, but never learned how to weld.

I'm thinking that my version of Kari might have a 11- in woodworking, metalwork, & plumbing, a 13- in welding, a 15- in drafting, and a 17- in electrical and electronics.

I went to Aviation tech school and our metal working class included both sheet metal and welding. I guess it really depends on the discipline and what the training would be used for. I tend to be more of a generalist when it comes to skills anyway. (At least with the Hero System) Probably goes way back to the Champions days.

I went to Aviation tech school and our metal working class included both sheet metal and welding. I guess it really depends on the discipline and what the training would be used for. I tend to be more of a generalist when it comes to skills anyway. (At least with the Hero System) Probably goes way back to the Champions days.
I'd also wager there aren't too many high schools that'd want them playing around with ocetylene torches.

TB

Hmmm. I guess that American high schools are wimpy that way.:P I've been asking around my friends, here in Oz, and every single one of them that took Metalwork in high school learned welding (with acetylene and with arc welders) in the first year, as well as working with sheet metal.

I think we need the skill "Fam: tool use". This would represent the skills of a person who has a tool box and does some minor stuff around the house. It might be an "everyman skill". Everyone on MythBusters has, at least, this.

Adam and Jaime have 17- in most shop skills, with, probably, a 15- in electronics. Mythtern Christine (or Jess) has the everyman only. The Buildteam members have the everyman, plus welding and their own specialty skills.

I think we need the skill "Fam: tool use". This would represent the skills of a person who has a tool box and does some minor stuff around the house. It might be an "everyman skill". Everyone on MythBusters has, at least, this.

Adam and Jaime have 17- in most shop skills, with, probably, a 15- in electronics. Mythtern Christine (or Jess) has the everyman only. The Buildteam members have the everyman, plus welding and their own specialty skills.

I think putting their everyman PS into PS: Mechanic would cover more involved tool use.

Otherwise, I'm just going to say that like normal everyday cooking isn't an Everyman skill, knowing how to choose and turn the right wrench isn't a skill needing to be put on a character sheet.

I also wouldn't rate Adam or Jaime as being that high (unless we are talking about superhero versions of Adam or Jaime) 13- or 14- would cover a lot of what's seen on the show. They do have as extra time as they want after all to get things done.

TB

I think putting their everyman PS into PS: Mechanic would cover more involved tool use.

Otherwise, I'm just going to say that like normal everyday cooking isn't an Everyman skill, knowing how to choose and turn the right wrench isn't a skill needing to be put on a character sheet.

I also wouldn't rate Adam or Jaime as being that high (unless we are talking about superhero versions of Adam or Jaime) 13- or 14- would cover a lot of what's seen on the show. They do have as extra time as they want after all to get things done.

TB

Not a problem.

Scottie probably has a 13- or 14- in PS: metal worker, welder, and mechanic and a 11- in the others.

My version of Kari (the electronics engineer) has a 13- or 14- in PS: electronics engineer and a 11- in the other shop skills along with SS: electronics and electricity at 14- and SS: model rocketry at 15- (she started doing it in girl scouts) and KS: Tesla Coils & Van de Graaff generators at 14-. (Although these could be considered part of her electronics SS, I made these separate because of her extreme interest in them.)

I really don't think a lot of their skill rolls are very high at all. They do, however, have a ton of adders:

• They have fully equipped shops and
  • a ton of financial backing.
  • They have time; almost nothing is being done on the fly except the reworking of something in the field.
  • The have each other; almost everything is team built or designed.
  • They have researchers; an off camera team provides them with all the background information there is to be had.

Plus, I think that they would tend to have skill levels with 'engineering skills' or 'mechanical skills' or what have you. Possibly an overall level or two.

A bit more on my version of Kari.

Always in the shop, and, sometimes, on location, she wears a black coverall-style jumpsuit over her clothes. Would this be a DF?

She has built a number of Van de Graaff generators and Tesla coils, some of which she still owns.

Kari's largest home made Tesla coil is the 2,000,000 volt one she built while going for her masters in electronics engineering. Her largest Van de Graaff generator, which stands 6 feet tall and generates 100,000 volts, was originally built for the 11th grade science fair. Both have appeared on MythBusters.

Due to the fact that the neighbors have been complaining about the noise from M5 Industries, where MythBusters is filmed, Jaime moved his shop to a new location, the abandoned Alameda Naval Air Station, which they often use as a filming location.

• 7 months later...

Hey, I started the thread, so yeah. I have been doing a little thinking on it.

I'm going to do a write-up that, while not 100% faithful to them in real life, it will be heavily inspired by them. The conceit is that in a world where superbeings are real, they ended up a little different.

As it stands, I'm doing all of them as technologically based supers (probably low-level), except for Adam, who is clearly a mutant with some sort of damage mitigation ability (a truth in our world, also:sneaky:), as well as Jamie having a gadget VPP that only worked at the M5 workshop, a "I have just the thing" kind of deal.

I'm thinking that I'll go along these lines.

Jamie: Equal best gadgeteer of the team, he takes more time, but has a higher chance of success.

Adam: Equal best gadgeteer of the team, he takes less time, but has a lower chance of success.

The two of them also have penalty skill levels for a particular slot, which is to Aid the other's VPP. When these guys combine forces, well, take a look at Blendo.Side note: I did notice, though, that on the needle-in-a-haystack build-off, Adam was the one with the simple solution.

Kari: I'm thinking a binary liquid adhesive projector and an electrical attack.

Tory: I'm still not sure where to go with him.

Grant: Is way easy. He's the robotic toymeister with a suite of electronics based powers.

Jess Nelson: I'll probably make a DNPC (Which is also accurate as to how often she appears on camera.)

Comments? Criticism?

Hey, I started the thread, so yeah. I have been doing a little thinking on it.

I'm going to do a write-up that, while not 100% faithful to them in real life, it will be heavily inspired by them. The conceit is that in a world where superbeings are real, they ended up a little different.

As it stands, I'm doing all of them as technologically based supers (probably low-level), except for Adam, who is clearly a mutant with some sort of damage mitigation ability (a truth in our world, also:sneaky:), as well as Jamie having a gadget VPP that only worked at the M5 workshop, a "I have just the thing" kind of deal.

I'm thinking that I'll go along these lines.

Jamie: Equal best gadgeteer of the team, he takes more time, but has a higher chance of success.

Adam: Equal best gadgeteer of the team, he takes less time, but has a lower chance of success.

The two of them also have penalty skill levels for a particular slot, which is to Aid the other's VPP. When these guys combine forces, well, take a look at Blendo.Side note: I did notice, though, that on the needle-in-a-haystack build-off, Adam was the one with the simple solution.

Kari: I'm thinking a binary liquid adhesive projector and an electrical attack.

Tory: I'm still not sure where to go with him.

Grant: Is way easy. He's the robotic toymeister with a suite of electronics based powers.

Jess Nelson: I'll probably make a DNPC (Which is also accurate as to how often she appears on camera.)

Comments? Criticism?

Looks great.

Tory and Adam occasionally act juvenile and have a tendency to hurt themselves.

How do you see Christine and Scottie?