MidGuard Flying Sub

Trebuchet

Thought I'd post the flying sub used by our team, MidGuard. This vehicle was donated to MidGuard by the Japanese government for preventing the assassination of the Crown Prince and preventing a military coup in 2000.

Comments? Suggestions?

MidGuard Flying Submarine

Val Char Cost
40 STR -15
20 DEX 30
20 BODY 1
5 SPD 20
6" RUN020" SWIM-20" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 91

Cost Power END
69 Multipurpose Engines: Multipower, 69-point reserve, all slots: 1 Continuing Fuel Charges lasting 1 Day each (+0)
7u 1) Standard Flight Mode: Flight 25", Improved Noncombat Movement (x4), Combat Acceleration/Deceleration (+1/4) (69 Active Points)
1u 2) Supersonic Flight Mode: Flight 1", Megascale (1" = 100 km; +3/4), Can Be Scaled Down: 1" = 1km (+1/4) (4 Active Points)
1u 3) Underwater Thrusters: Swimming +20" (20" total) (20 Active Points); Limited Maneuverability (-1/4), Turn Mode (-1/4)
13 Active Sensor Suite: Multipower, 32-point reserve, all slots: (32 Active Points); OAF Bulky (-1 1/2)
1u 1) Radar Array: Radar (Discriminatory, Increased Arc of Perception: 240-Degree, Telescopic (+10)) (32 Active Points)
1u 2) Active Sonar: Active Sonar (Increased Arc of Perception: 240-Degree, Sense, Telescopic (+10)) (29 Active Points)
15 Rugged Construction: Armor (5 PD/5 ED)
Vehicle Equipment, all slots: OIF Bulky (-1)
13 1) Stealth Systems: Invisibility to Radar & Sonar to Sight Group, Hearing Group, Infrared Perception (30 Active Points); Bright Fringe (-1/4) 3
4 2) Ejection Seats: Teleportation 5", Usable By Other (x8 Number of Targets +1) (20 Active Points); 1 Charges (-2), Can Only Teleport To 5" Outside Vehicle (Only in Flight) Fixed Locations (-1), Must Pass Through Intervening Space (-1/4), No Noncombat Movement (-1/4)
8 3) Electronic Countermeasures: Missile Deflection (Any Ranged Attack) (20 Active Points); Only Works Against IR or Radar Guided Missiles Limited Type of Attack (-1/2)
8 4) Sealed Environment: Life Support , Safe in High Pressure, Safe in Intense Cold, Safe in Intense Heat, Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum, Self-Contained Breathing (17 Active Points)
6 5) Communications System: High Range Radio Perception (12 Active Points)
2 6) Polarized Cockpit: Flash Defense (5 points) (Sight Group) (5 Active Points)
10 7) Passive Sonar: Ultrasonic Perception (Discriminatory, Increased Arc of Perception: 360-Degree, Sense, Telescopic (+5)) (20 Active Points)
12 8) Thermal Imaging: Infrared Perception (Discriminatory, Sense, Targeting Sense, Telescopic (+3)) (25 Active Points)
6 9) Low Light Cameras: Nightvision (Sense, Telescopic (+5)) (12 Active Points)
10 10) GPS System: Detect Exact Position 17-, Analyze, Discriminatory, Sense, Sense Affected As Radio (+0) (23 Active Points); Not Underwater (-1/4)
1 11) Underwater Arms: Extra Limbs (5 Active Points); Only in front of Vehicle (-1), 20 STR Only (-1), Limited Manipulation (-1/4)
6 12) Spotlight: Sight Group Images, +/-4 to PER Roll (22 Active Points); Only To Create Light (-1), Limited Arc of Fire 60 Degrees (-1/2) 2
15 13) Winch: Stretching 10" (50 Active Points); Cannot Do Damage (-1/2), Always Direct (-1/4), No Noncombat Stretching (-1/4), No Velocity Damage (-1/4) 5
Powers Cost: 209

Total Character Cost: 300

Originally posted by Narthon

I would get rid of the sences multipower and give them both usable at the same time. It isn't overpowered

Very nice ship though..

That's an excellent suggestion, and I have made it so. With a couple of Limitations it didn't even increase the cost of the vehicle. :)

Originally posted by Trebuchet

Yes, it would, but the vehicle template lists neither that data, defenses, nor equipment. So the printout is incomplete anyway.

Trebuchet, I wasn't blaming you.... It just occured to me that it would be very nice to have that info and not have to do all the math.

Then I look at Ultimate Vehicle and see that there is NO mph (or I would have accepted Kilometers as well) given for any movement. I hate to say this, but that is a huge flaw in the book. It is supposed to be a quick aid to any Hero game, right?

Now, I do not know about you folks, but the top (or high) speed of the vehicle is OFTEN useful for me to know... not so much for combat... but for travel. How long does it take the mini-sub to cross the English Channel? How long does it take the flying mini-sub to fly across the U.S.? Stuff like this comes up in my games fairly often. As I tend to run international games in Champions and even science fiction like Cyberpunk.

If I have to work out if an F-16's mph simply to see if they can make it from Brandenburgh Air Force base to where the supervillian is in time, because the players unexpectly called for back-up in the game, during a time sensitive issue... then the Ultimate Vehicle is not much of an aid and reference as it could be. I will have to look else where for that info.

Then the MPH chart in Ultimate Vehicle goes to a measily 50"/6 speed = 224 mph. What?!!?!?!?! Great for determining the speeds of sports cars, but prop planes in WWII go faster than that! Not to mention helicopters, jet planes, the space shuttle, right up into science fiction vehicles.

Am I being lazy in not doing the math? Yes. I wanted it done for me. That is what a compendium should do. If I build a vehicle from scratch, then I will certainly do the math.

Is the maximum velocity for vehicles calculated for all 12 segments, or only for the vehicle's SPD? I know a vehicle with 5 SPD can only manuever during it's phases, but does it continue to move during the off Phases? In other words, does a vehicle with 5 SPD and 10" Flight travel 50" per Turn or 120"? I've never quite understood how that works in Hero, and obviously it makes an enormous difference in the mph/kph of the vehicle in question. With this vehicle as an example, the difference is 500"/Turn vs 1200"/Turn Non-Combat (150 kph vs. 360 kph). Of course the Megascale Flight is another matter altogether (At 100 kilometers per Phase, it's maximum speed is 150000 kph!) :eek:

Perhaps I need to ratchet that down a bit...:rolleyes:

Personal thing: Increase the Supersonic Flight Mode to 10" and reduce the Megascale by one step, this will allow for more fluid transitions in speed (Instead of 100, 10, 1 KM, you get 1-100 KM), and should not increase the cost more than a point...