Sam Rami to do a Pulp Film?

Kharis2000

Re: Sam Rami to do a Pulp Film?

I liked the Shadow, I thought it was a great film and I own the DVD. Doc Savage was terrible if for any reason it was the John Phillip Sousa music. At one point in the film I actually muted the movie when that stupid crap came out.

What I liked about the Shadow was how it combined the elements of the novel Shadow, with many agents, and the hypnotism from the radio show. I espeicially liked the interplay between Cranston and Top bad guy (can't remember his name right now).

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recall reading an interview/comment/something by the scriptwriter for the 90's Shadow in which he explained that he'd written the script after listening to the radio shows and had not read the novels until some time after the release of the film, thus explaining why the movie's script was less than sterling. (I do agree that the castiong, sets, costumes, and cinematography were great, though.)

Since we seem to agree that Sam Raimi is a great choice for directing this project, what are your ideas for the cast?

Here's mine

The Shadow - - Hugh Jackman (With or without accent)

Margot Lane - - Rachel MacAdams (My choice for the Invisable Girl)

The Avenger - - Cillian Murphey (MacAdams' "Red Eye" partner)

Doc Savage - - Daniel Craig or Eric Bana(With his hair dyed Blonde)

The Villian would likely be Shiwan Kahn since both the Avenger and Doc Savage have no arch villians to speak of. My choice for Kahn would be Ken Watanabe.

Just an idea.

st Barbra he was a bad guy bad guys can't hit targets with automatic weapons!

tommy guns in movies exist purely to keep plasters, furniture makers and the occasional stone mason employed.

Of course ! It's "the law of villanous marksmanship"! Those Mongol warriors were pretty good shots with their crossbows however.:)

Since we seem to agree that Sam Raimi is a great choice for directing this project, what are your ideas for the cast?

Here's mine

The Shadow - - Hugh Jackman (With or without accent)

Margot Lane - - Rachel MacAdams (My choice for the Invisable Girl)

The Avenger - - Cillian Murphey (MacAdams' "Red Eye" partner)

Doc Savage - - Daniel Craig or Eric Bana(With his hair dyed Blonde)

The Villian would likely be Shiwan Kahn since both the Avenger and Doc Savage have no arch villians to speak of. My choice for Kahn would be Ken Watanabe.

Just an idea.

Shiwan Khan teams up with Johnny Sunlight to REALLY make life tough for our heros !:eek:

I think that one of the important points of the casting is the SIZE of the characters. "Doc Savage" should be at least a head taller (and rather more muscular) than "The Shadow" and "The Avenger" should be the smallest of the three.

Then again, Hugh Jackman is exactly one foot taller than Wolverine is supposed to be, so it's not always something they lose sleep over in the movie biz.

• 2 weeks later...

True "BigJackBrass" ! However I think that the RELATIVE size of the characters to each other is important for something like this. If the actor they get to play "Doc" is say 6ft 3'' tall, then whoever plays "The Shadow" should be shorter and whoever plays "The Avenger" should be shorter again.

True "BigJackBrass" ! However I think that the RELATIVE size of the characters to each other is important for something like this. If the actor they get to play "Doc" is say 6ft 3'' tall' date=' then whoever plays "The Shadow" should be shorter and whoever plays "The Avenger" should be shorter again.[/quote']

Easy there turbo....

Use too much logic around the movie industry and there might be a bad reaction....;)

True "BigJackBrass" ! However I think that the RELATIVE size of the characters to each other is important for something like this.

Oh, I agree. In the X-Men movies, though, there was clearly no thought given to this. After years of people calling Wolverine "runt" and "shorty" he was suddenly towering over all of them (must have answered one of those ads that used to be in the back of comicbooks or something) - and strangely I noticed that by Wolverine: The End (a comic series from a couple of years ago) he was even being drawn as a very tall individual.

The differences between The Shadow and The Avenger wouldn't bother me too much on screen, but Doc Savage definitely needs to be tall and in almost superhuman physical shape, otherwise much of his characterisation would seem off. Which I guess means we won't see Simon Pegg playing him :D

"The Avenger" is actually descibed as being "just five foot eight and 165 lbs" (quoted in "The Great Pulp Heros" by Don Hutchison)so I think that we need someone small and wiry to play him, just as we need a tall, muscular looking actor for "Doc" with "The Shadow" in between in terms of size and build. As to just WHO should play the parts I couldn't say as I am not well enough up on the actors in hollywood etc these days. If they can get capable actors, AND get the relative sizes of the characters right, plus a decent script we could be in for a treat ! (Yeah I know i'm asking a lot !:) )

You mean like casting Tom Cruise as Doc Savage and a couple of dwarves in the other parts ?Blechh !:eg:

I think that to be technically correct that should read: "You mean like casting Tom Cruise as Doc Savage and a couple of other dwarfs in the other parts." :D

I think that to be technically correct that should read: "You mean like casting Tom Cruise as Doc Savage and a couple of other dwarfs in the other parts." :D

Hey! Cruise could do it. He has his own milk crate to stand on :D

This could go either way. Darkman was basically the Avenger mixed with some EC style horror imagery.

Darkman was a lot closer to DC's Unknown Soldier than he was to The Avenger, right down to the bandaged face. http://www.geocities.com/the_time_trust_2000/dcwar/unknown.htm

Why DC's lawyers didn't come a' knockin' remains a mystery to me.

I liked the Shadow and the Phantom - they both had that certain cheese factor that was very reminiscent of the radioplays and comics (I have many of the radioplays). Although I only own The Shadow DVD - I didn't like the overt magic item in the Phantom - it was a bit out of genre.

As to Eric Bana as Doc Savage. No. He could do Chopper (in which he was scarily good), but other than that, he's not really an actor - The Hulk and Troy proved that. He should stick to his standup.

Daniel Craig would be good. Has the level of intelligence needed (not that I know much about Doc Savage, he's not a pulp serial I followed).

Sam Raimi is a very good choice for pulp.

I liked the Shadow and the Phantom - they both had that certain cheese factor that was very reminiscent of the radioplays and comics (I have many of the radioplays). Although I only own The Shadow DVD - I didn't like the overt magic item in the Phantom - it was a bit out of genre.

As to Eric Bana as Doc Savage. No. He could do Chopper (in which he was scarily good), but other than that, he's not really an actor - The Hulk and Troy proved that. He should stick to his standup.

Daniel Craig would be good. Has the level of intelligence needed (not that I know much about Doc Savage, he's not a pulp serial I followed).

Sam Raimi is a very good choice for pulp.

This is from memory so I might be wrong or have them mixed up

Doc Savage was accompanied by several followers. Ham (lawyer), Renny (construction engineer, dams, buildings, etc.), Monk (chemical engineer), Long Tom(?) (electrical everything), Johnny (archeology) .

Each of his companions were a leading world expert in their fields, if not THE worlds greatest.

Doc was better than them in everything, a certifiable genius in anything. He was also an example of the pinnacle of human physical capability. Sorta a Pulp era superman.

People have pointed out the similarities between Doc Savage and Superman before. Doc was "the man of bronze", Supes "the man of steel", both had a "fortress of solitude" where they went to be alone, both are orphaned at the start of their adventures and both have the christian name "Clark". (I'm sure that there were other similarities, but those are the ones that I remember)

People have pointed out the similarities between Doc Savage and Superman before. Doc was "the man of bronze"' date=' Supes "the man of steel", both had a "fortress of solitude" where they went to be alone, both are orphaned at the start of their adventures and both have the christian name "Clark". (I'm sure that there were other similarities, but those are the ones that I remember)[/quote']

I don't think the comparison is that far off. Doc Savage was as was as developed as possible without crossing into supernatural or meta-powers. While stretching things a bit, he still stayed within human possibility. Superman on the other hand simply ignored human limits and never looked back.

Between the two I find Doc to be more interesting than Supes. I would really like to see a movie now that they have the tech to pull it off.

People have pointed out the similarities between Doc Savage and Superman before. Doc was "the man of bronze"' date=' Supes "the man of steel", both had a "fortress of solitude" where they went to be alone, both are orphaned at the start of their adventures and both have the christian name "Clark". (I'm sure that there were other similarities, but those are the ones that I remember)[/quote']

It should be pointed out, too, that Superman borrowed heavily from Philip Wylie's excellent "Gladiator" published in 1930, at least where his rural upbringing, his super powers and their origins are concerned. Where Superman and "Gladiator" differ is in the generally dower mood of Wylie's story, dealing more with ideas later used in Marvel's Spider-Man and X-Men comics.

I highly recommend giving Gladiator a read. If it's hard to find, I do know that Howard Chaykin recently adapted the book as "Legend". I haven't read it, but if you're a fan of Chaykin, it could at least be an entertaining read.