Sam Rami to do a Pulp Film?

Kharis2000

I ran across these three items this week. You may trust them as you will, although the last one, by Harry Knowles at Ain't It Cool News seems the most reasoned. Cross your fingers, folks.

Item One:

Doc Savage, The Shadow & The Avenger in one movie?

Posted : December 7, 2006 Writer : Clint Morris

Still 18 days until Christmas, but the presents have already started to pour in.

Get your mitts on this little beauty: Sam Raimi is going to make a film that’ll team-up some of the pulp heroes of yesteryear, like The Shadow, The Avenger and Doc Savage. Better than a pair of undies with your initials on them, right?!

According to FilmForce, the “Spider-Man” director has inked a deal with Street and Smith Publications – the troops who put person to page on the abovementioned series’ and more – to bring some (if not all) of the legendary characters to life on the big screen. Yep, it’ll be a Justice League of sorts.

Here’s an extra gift on top of that news: Raimi isn’t just producing, or overseeing the project, he’ll be directing it too.

Hollywood has dabbled with the Street and Smith characters before – they cast Alec Baldwin in a film version of “The Shadow” in 1994, and tried to get a “Doc Savage” – which Arnold Schwarzenegger would’ve starred in – movie off the ground a few times too.

Thanks to ‘Stax’

Item Two:

Raimi Planning Pulp Hero Saga

Posted: Thursday December 7th 2006 1:14am

Source: IGN Filmforce

Author: Garth Franklin

Doc Savage, The Shadow, The Avenger and several other pulp hero characters from the Street and Smith Publications range might all be hitting the big screen in one big feature.

IGN Filmforce has learned that "Spider-Man" filmmaker Sam Raimi is planning a project which would unite the various characters together using a script by Siavash Farahani ("Ingenue", "Ruse").

Characters from such titles as The Wizard & Cash Gorman, Crime Busters, The Skipper, The Whisperer, Bill Barnes Air Trails, Nick Carter Magazine, Pete Rice Magazine and Unknown, as well as other crime and Western books.

"The Shadow" had previously been adapted into a 1994 Alec Baldwin-led action movie and at last word both a new version of it, and a separate film version of "Doc Savage" were in the works - but certainly nothing as elaborate as this.

The rumour comes as surprising and a little dubious, on the other hand the site is known for its relatively thorough fact checking and will rarely print outright rumours without some basis in fact. Let's see how this unfolds.

Item Three:

Sam Raimi making the Street & Smith Pulp Universe Collide with DOC SAVAGE, THE SHADOW, NICK CARTER and more?

Hey folks, Harry here... Over at IGN - Stax is running a story about how Sam Raimi has allegedly committed to direct a project that would unite the classic Street & Smith Publications characters - like Doc Savage, The Avenger, The Shadow and possibly the rest of their heroes gallery and rogues gallery into the mother of all pulp projects. You can read their story at the link above.

Well. I'm not going to say the story is wrong, as I haven't spoken directly with Sam Raimi - though I do have a call into his office. But for the last year I've been tracking Raimi's development of Street and Smith Publications.

You see. Sam's biggest passion from their catalogue is THE SHADOW. Prior to Alec Baldwin getting a nose in on the gig, Raimi was attempting to get the property at Universal - with the Coen Brothers set to write it up for him to direct. That fell through - and he made DARKMAN as a reaction. It was around this same time that he lost out on BATMAN. However, Marty Bregman thought the HIGHLANDER guy was the better route to go. Eh... 20/20 is a bitch.

In the last year or so - I've heard that Raimi has been taking meetings with various directors to discuss a possible DOC SAVAGE film. But closer to home, I've heard that Raimi had found a writer for his THE SHADOW movie, but that no commitments were in hand, as of yet.

As for the whole Street and Smith character library - It's possible that Raimi just optioned them all with that big SPIDER-MAN money and in reality was planning this project that IGN has a scoop on. HOWEVER - this is all rumor at this point.

Like I said. I know for a fact that THE SHADOW and DOC SAVAGE are separate projects that were being developed as separate projects at least 4 months ago. I'll continue to knock on Raimi's door to get to the truth, but at this point the only one that knows for sure, is his Shadow...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Sam Rami to do a Pulp Film?

I'm going to be heretical and say that I loved The Shadow. It wasn't a superb movie, but it wasn't a bad one either. The concept of the "benevolent conspiracy" woven throughout the film is one I am very fond of and would loved to have seen more done with, and they did some really nice things with "the power to cloud men's minds".

While I know for a fact any movie by Hollywood will not meet the my vision of them based on the books. I did enjoy the Shadow a lot, even if Alec Baldwin is low on my list of actors. Raimi does have a good list of great shows to his credit. I think this could be done, and be good.

The Avenger was the world's greatest master of disguise, thanks to a face that was naturally chalk white and could be reshaped like clay. No, it didn't make much sense. He blended Doc Savage and Shadow tropes.

Most interesting (to me) was his choice of assistants. Nellie Gray was a small woman skilled in judo and often allowed to use it to get herself out of trouble and even rescue the leading man. Josh and Rosabel were highly skilled African American detectives, depicted with a lot of respect for the time. Smitty was a huge, almost superhumanly strong electronics expert, and Mac was a Scottish chemist. Interesting team. The whole group would make good Pulp Hero player characters.

You might be familliar with the DC Comic staring the Avenger. Its title has a place in HERO History.

It was called Justice, Inc.

I've never read the pulps or anything associated with them, but I've enjoyed watching Sam Raimi grow as a director. I considered Spider-Man 2 leaps and bounds ahead of Spider-Man, and 3 looks spectacular. I can get down with some pulp action if he's at the camera.

This could go either way. Darkman was basically the Avenger mixed with some EC style horror imagery. Plus, it was excellent. I'm a bit worried about putting several pulp mystery men in one movie though. Pulp mystery men are more detailed than most superheroes, will this film take the time to illustrate that? And how many assistants do all these guys have in total? How would a pulp version of Crisis on Infinite Earths work out anyways? Eh, who am i kidding, they'll have to pry me out of the theater.

Oh, hi everybody. first time poster, long time sporadic lurker

Hmmm, back in the early 70's Ron Ely starred as Doc Savage - Man of Bronze'. Enough footage was shot for 2 films, but they never made a second. It was all done for laughs, like Adam Wests Batman. Since then, we've had a lackluster 'Shadow', Baldwin tried but couldn't quite pull it off. Then we had "The Phantom', with Billy Zane doing a decent job on a poor script.

If I was to bet on a director for a pulp, it would be Raimi. Although Rodriguez is a possible after what he did with Sin City, and there's always Tim Burtons bizarre take on life. He could do justice to the genre.

Sign me up for heresy, I liked the Shadow (ironically I am watching it now on Cable) and despite the huge gaping plotholes and awful script, I liked The Phantom as well. I recall the Doc Savage movie from the 70s, and I thought it was a mess, but it is the only Doc on film that we have. If were to do Doc for laughs (which I wouldn't to be honest) I'd have Doc embrace his homoerotic side. Bronzed skin, perfect physical condition, avoids women like the plague and hangs out with a bunch of guys who are totally superfluous (since he can do anything and everything far better than they can anyway). Embrace your inner metrosexual Big Guy!

I'm going to be heretical and say that I loved The Shadow. It wasn't a superb movie' date=' but it wasn't a bad one either. The concept of the "benevolent conspiracy" woven throughout the film is one I am very fond of and would loved to have seen more done with, and they did some really nice things with "the power to cloud men's minds".[/quote']

I'll second that. It is a significantly under-rated flick comtaining some superb moments. Stylistically it was 100% on-the-ball and did some good stuff with characterisation.

I'd love to see decent modern adaptations of Doc Savage and the Avenger. Much as I love the 70's George Pal flick for its shiny, faithful attitude (and Ron Ely fit the part soooo well) I think the Man of Bronze could do some good box office. I never understood why S&S didn't follow up on Doc Savage after the success of the Indiana Jones movies :confused:

How can you NOT like a film that features a villain who can hypnotize an ENTIRE city into believing a skyscraper doesn't exist , has heros chasing (and I think being chased by) an atomic bomb rolling through hotel corridors and has a red/green colourblind man deciding whether to cut the red or the green wire !:)

How can you NOT like a film that features a villain who can hypnotize an ENTIRE city into believing a skyscraper doesn't exist ' date=' has heros chasing (and I think being chased by) an atomic bomb rolling through hotel corridors and has a red/green colourblind man deciding whether to cut the red or the green wire !:)[/quote']

And Tim Curry, of course.

I loved the Phantom :) Didn't mind the Shadow either ... but also enjoyed the Rocketeer :)
I enjoyed both "The Phantom" (Billy Zane was somewhat wooden but Treat Williams was, well a treat!) and "The Rocketeer". It was great to see Alan Arkin in a significant role as I hadn't seen him in anything for quite a while before that.

Raimi and Campbell go together like ham and cheese. They're bonded at the hip. From the Evil dead, through Xena and the Spiderman's, plus Campbells "man with the screaming brain" Bruce and the Raimi brothers are like the modern day Marx brothers, inseperable.

(Hmm, I wonder which one is Chico?)

The shadow, was a beautiful movie. The production design was sumptuous and perfectly captured the pulp style. The casting was impeccable, the score, cinematography and even the editing where superb.

even the acting was pretty good, considering what the excellent cast had to work with.

it was just that the script was pure dross like republic serial or perhaps the original shadow radio series while it conveyed the pulp concept well it failed a modern movie especially such a well made one.

compared to my all time favorite modern pulp style movie the rocketeer. (sorry indie but i didn't turn my popcorn bucket into a hat and whip) a movie which had not only beautiful production and an excellent cast but also a well written script.

the schlockeyness of the script for the shadow just didn't draw you in in fact the jarring juxtaposition of high quality movie b grade dialogue ruin the sense of disbelief