Batman's Utility Belt

The Mad GM

Re: Batman's Utility Belt

It certainly seems like the site has everything. However--

Nerve Gas Ampules (6+): name as long as your arm, developed by military during a war, concentrates powerful stimulant to right hemisphere of brain, strong dose will kill from fear in 15 seconds, Batman's will make them relive their least favorite nightmare for 30 min

I don't remember this from The Dark Knight Returns. It sounds more like something the Scarecrow would have.

As a little kid (7ish?)' date=' the Adam West show became unwatchable to me because of this incident.[/quote']

The Adam West show needed to borrow Cato when they crossed over with the Green Hornet and then ask Bruce Lee to give their writers a sound thrashing.

Most of these could be built for under 30AP and 30 real. A few should only be at the 60 point level.

I think a multipower, like the one in both Gadgets and Gear and Dark Champions for the gear he always carries and a VPP for the gear he occasionally carries.

I realize that with some fictional characters, establishing "canon" is difficult. But in this case, we can conclude that the DC series staring Batman are canon.

And many items used by Batman in the comics exceed 30 or even 50 Active Points.

Items: yes. His batcomputer, his bat-vehicles, his bat-cave...

But I can't think of a single item on his belt that I would need more than 50 pts to build, except possibly for area effect gas attacks (and even then, he favours sweeping attacks with multiple gas pellets that seem to only have a 1 hex area) and plastic explosives (which can still be built with penetrating and a small 1 hex area effect). The belt is an accessory that allows him to use his impressive skillset.

Of course, this is just my opinion. And I haven't read every issue of Batman to confirm or deny it.

Robin: Holy Heaving Hooters, Batman!

Batman: Stand back, Robin. I'll handle this. Time for the Bat-Cologne...

I build batman style utility belts as VPP Gadget Pools that can be changed as a 0 Phase Action and require a Streetwise Skill Roll ("I have just the thing for this..."). Batman has an obscene streetwise skill roll... especially Adam West Batman.

Almost all of the stuff he pulls can be done with finesse on 30 AP.

Robin: Holy Heaving Hooters, Batman!

Batman: Stand back, Robin. I'll handle this. Time for the Bat-Cologne...

I build batman style utility belts as VPP Gadget Pools that can be changed as a 0 Phase Action and require a Streetwise Skill Roll ("I have just the thing for this..."). Batman has an obscene streetwise skill roll... especially Adam West Batman.

That kind of thing, while cinematic, strains my suspension of disbelief. Maybe it's a fault of mine.

Batman utility belt should be a at least a 50 pt reserve so the devices and weapons can use the proper special effects. He should have at least a 30 PT vpp for those omni gadgets with the limitation-can only changed back at the batcave.

But to simulate the fact that he always has the appropriate gadget, it should'nt be limited.

Batman pretty much strains by suspension of disbeleif.

Come to think of it I actually find it easier to believe in mutants who fire energy beams from their eyes and Norse goda who speak in pseudo-Shakespearian argot than I do in Batman.

Or for that matter, solar powered aliens who can move the planet with their ring finger.

It's all Doc Savage, a character so larger than life theat they had to split him in two. Superman got the Fortress of Solitude, Man of Steel (vs Man of Bronze), and the incredable strength. Batman got the gadgets, fast cars, and intense training.

But the reason Batman is so difficult to stat out is that he is, in his roots, a pulp chjaracter, not a superhero. I'm thempted to give Superman, Batman, and the original Captain Marvel about a 30 point cosmic VPP, "plot immunity." If they need a previously undocumented talent or skill, this is where they pull it out of.