Genemodders other than Teleios ...

CrosshairCollie

Re: Genemodders other than Teleios ...

Hmm. Moreau exists (existed) in the CU, and one of his descendents works for VIPER. I'm cooking up a character background (for a character for me to play), and while the 'escaped VIPER super' is a time-honored classic, it's a bit of a cliche'. I was exploring other options. ;)

The aforementioned Phillippe Moreau (mutated humanoid animals) of VIPER, and Timothy Blank/King Cobra (human-reptile hybrids via application of his "Coil gene") are both gene-modders, although less versatile than Teleios. Dr. Destroyer also has considerable expertise in this field, which he probably used to unlock the powers of Menton and Mentalla. While on the subject of psionics, Dr. Sebastian Poe, the now-imprisoned founder of PSI, is the foremost expert on "cerebellic genetic deviations," which he learned to enhance through use of his Psi Serum. Champions Worldwide also mentions Dr. Aldo Sanchietti, an Italian geneticist experimenting with splicing human and animal DNA. (Yes, that Dr. Sanchietti.);)

On the side of the good guys, Dr. Silverback may be the foremost geneticist, being Dr. Moreau's ex-assistant.

The aforementioned Phillippe Moreau (mutated humanoid animals) of VIPER' date=' and Timothy Blank/King Cobra (human-reptile hybrids via application of his "Coil gene") are both gene-modders, although less versatile than Teleios. Dr. Destroyer also has considerable expertise in this field, which he probably used to unlock the powers of Menton and Mentalla. While on the subject of psionics, Dr. Sebastian Poe, the now-imprisoned founder of PSI, is the foremost expert on "cerebellic genetic deviations," which he learned to enhance through use of his Psi Serum. [i']Champions Worldwide[/i] also mentions Dr. Aldo Sanchietti, an Italian geneticist experimenting with splicing human and animal DNA. (Yes, that Dr. Sanchietti.);)

On the side of the good guys, Dr. Silverback may be the foremost geneticist, being Dr. Moreau's ex-assistant.

I'll have to hit Wikipedia to see what 'that Dr. Sanchietti' means. Silverback may be my best bet, then. Thanks, all.

Hmm. Moreau exists (existed) in the CU' date=' and one of his descendents works for VIPER. I'm cooking up a character background (for a character for me to play), and while the 'escaped VIPER super' is a time-honored classic, it's a bit of a cliche'. I was exploring other options. ;)[/quote']

Do keep in mind that Phillippe Moreau's original mutated animals inhabit Beast Mountain, and a few of them have proven to be interfertile, so that's another possible origin.

What type of character do you envision? That might suggest an appropriate CU-based origin. :)

I'll have to hit Wikipedia to see what 'that Dr. Sanchietti' means. Silverback may be my best bet' date=' then. Thanks, all.[/quote']

Probably not in Wikipedia, actually. In the pre-Fifth Edition Champions Universe, Aldo Sanchietti experimented on his own daughter, Gina, creating the feral killer called Pantera, one of the founding members of Eurostar. It was an obvious inside joke that for the 5E CU Sanchietti exists and has been contacted by Fiacho.

My apologies. With all the discussion about Eurostar on the boards I just assumed you would know this. :o

Do keep in mind that Phillippe Moreau's original mutated animals inhabit Beast Mountain, and a few of them have proven to be interfertile, so that's another possible origin.

What type of character do you envision? That might suggest an appropriate CU-based origin. :)

I was basically tinkering with a Superman-esque character, with the idea that the person was a vat-grown organic entity (not a clone, though ... he's not a duplicate of anybody) with a kelvarite-laced skeleton. Since exposure to slivers of Kelvarite generally give enhanced strength and a movement power (see: Tachyon, Thunderbolt II), the whole skeleton would result in some pretty impressive powers. How the personality and other aspects of the character pan out rely very much on who made him and for what ... it determines the upbringing.

I was basically tinkering with a Superman-esque character' date=' with the idea that the person was a vat-grown organic entity (not a clone, though ... he's not a duplicate of anybody) with a kelvarite-laced skeleton. Since exposure to slivers of Kelvarite generally give enhanced strength and a movement power (see: Tachyon, Thunderbolt II), the whole skeleton would result in some pretty impressive powers. How the personality and other aspects of the character pan out rely very much on who made him and for what ... it determines the upbringing.[/quote']

:eek:

Wow. It's hard to imagine any individual besides Teleios or Dr. Destroyer having the knowledge and resources to pull off something that radical.

Wait a minute, I think I'm getting an idea. Let me check my Champions Universe book (sound of pages shuffling)... so it says here that most of the known Kelvarite in the United States has been secured by the US government. Said government has also sponsored experimental projects for decades to create a "superhuman soldier," with results like the All-American and the Golden and Silver Avengers. In recent years research has turned to genetic engineering, producing such partial successes as the Janissary.

Government super-soldier project, genetic engineering, Kelvarite in stock... does this sound promising?

I was basically tinkering with a Superman-esque character' date=' with the idea that the person was a vat-grown organic entity (not a clone, though ... he's not a duplicate of anybody) with a kelvarite-laced skeleton. Since exposure to slivers of Kelvarite generally give enhanced strength and a movement power (see: Tachyon, Thunderbolt II), the whole skeleton would result in some pretty impressive powers. How the personality and other aspects of the character pan out rely very much on who made him and for what ... it determines the upbringing.[/quote']

:eek:

Wow. It's hard to imagine any individual besides Teleios or Dr. Destroyer having the knowledge and resources to pull off something that radical.

Wait a minute, I think I'm getting an idea. Let me check my Champions Universe book (sound of pages shuffling)... so it says here that most of the known Kelvarite in the United States has been secured by the US government. Said government has also sponsored experimental projects for decades to create a "superhuman soldier," with results like the All-American and the Golden and Silver Avengers. In recent years research has turned to genetic engineering, producing such partial successes as the Janissary.

Government super-soldier project, genetic engineering, Kelvarite in stock... does this sound promising?

Yup. Go the Miracle Man route, with the added twist of a genuinely Superhuman world.

Our potential government controlled "Hero" is created using captured Supervillain scientists, including Dr. Poe (his Dr. Silvana). He's raised in a Four Color VR Simulation designed to make him absolutely obedient to his government masters, with Dr. Poe secretly manipulating the program. The "Hero", a Viperia level metahuman, is released on a mission, only to have his programing fail. At first he may believe that he's in a strange, "dark" alternate world, and the PCs might believe that as well. As his programing continues to break down, and as Dr. Poe's hidden programing activates, both the Created Man and the PCs start to realize that the Created Man's heroic life and adventures were a lie. What does he do, and how far will the government agency responsible for his creation go to cover this up?

I was basically tinkering with a Superman-esque character' date=' with the idea that the person was a vat-grown organic entity (not a clone, though ... he's not a duplicate of anybody) with a kelvarite-laced skeleton. Since exposure to slivers of Kelvarite generally give enhanced strength and a movement power (see: Tachyon, Thunderbolt II), the whole skeleton would result in some pretty impressive powers. How the personality and other aspects of the character pan out rely very much on who made him and for what ... it determines the upbringing.[/quote']*Blink Blink* This is creepy. I've had EXACTLY the same idea. (Rep for you, for one thing). I was going with an excaped ARGENT experiment, just for a variation on the "escaped from Supervillain/Supervillainous Organization" trope.

Yup. Go the Miracle Man route, with the added twist of a genuinely Superhuman world.

Our potential government controlled "Hero" is created using captured Supervillain scientists, including Dr. Poe (his Dr. Silvana). He's raised in a Four Color VR Simulation designed to make him absolutely obedient to his government masters, with Dr. Poe secretly manipulating the program. The "Hero", a Viperia level metahuman, is released on a mission, only to have his programing fail. At first he may believe that he's in a strange, "dark" alternate world, and the PCs might believe that as well. As his programing continues to break down, and as Dr. Poe's hidden programing activates, both the Created Man and the PCs start to realize that the Created Man's heroic life and adventures were a lie. What does he do, and how far will the government agency responsible for his creation go to cover this up?

This seems to me like the perfect background for the character concept you seek. Of course, let's hunt for some more added twists: the supervillain introducted so many kinds of hidden twists for the character's programming, so he has these blank spells from time to time, and word start to circulate of a new powerful supervillain, with look and powers similar to him... and the government controllers (as well as Dr. Poe) likely inserted some hidden trigger command words as a failsafe, so he cannot directly harm them in any way. Plus, he gets these odd deja vu spells from time to time, which uncannily resemble notorious occurrences in the criminal careers of several prime-rate supervillains (Holocaust, Graviton, and Viperia are good examples); exactly from where did Dr. Poe pulled the base genetic material for creating the character ?