Gun-kata???

Susano

I just watched "Equilibrium" and was intruiged by the "gun-kata" sequences.

John Preston, Grammiton Cleric may yet get the "Surbrook Treatment," but first I'm interested in suggestions on what gun-kata would entail.

Amusing. My first "Gun Kata" character (from way back in the '80s) was also a priestly sort (although in his case, an enforcer for the Inquisition :-)

As for the question, you've essentially already done this with the Chow-Yun Fat write-up - the same way I did Father Azreal: the ability to pump an amazing amount of bullets into people/things, with pretty much any firearm. So, a multipower with area effect, autofire, etc, for which the guns are simply a special effect.

If you want a more boring UMA-style write up, then it would be CSLs, PSLs and range levels in various combinations, together with DC, to simulate the ability to hit vital spots, even with low cailbre weapons.

If you can use DC to boost the damage of a knife, it seems reasonable that you can do the same with a handgun.

cheers, Mark

I have done many special effects with guns in the past when in the hands of a professional. Such things have included a teleport - No range usable with only the gun for instant draws, making the gun an OIF - basically if someone tries to grab it from him, he does flip-flip things and still has it and so on. I also created acrobatics skills for quick reloads of clips in 'interesting' ways.

I suppose most of it is really SFX but if you want to get into the points of it all... ;)

Originally posted by Markdoc

Amusing. My first "Gun Kata" character (from way back in the '80s) was also a priestly sort (although in his case, an enforcer for the Inquisition :-)

Hmmm... I feel a theme coming here. Mine is called "Brother Gunn" -- ex vice cop who'd had seen enough of the dark side and entered a monastery... but the dark side wasn't done with him yet... (cue ominous music...)

I haven't actually played the character but I pull the sheet out every so often and try something new once in a while.:cool:

Re: Gun-kata???

Originally posted by Susano

John Preston, Grammiton Cleric may yet get the "Surbrook Treatment," but first I'm interested in suggestions on what gun-kata would entail.

I saw this movie last week, and I really liked the action sequences. When John Preston was fighting multiple opponents, he seemed to use the same movements with guns that he used with HTH weapons, so I'd build gun katas as lots of CSLs, Only to compensate for Rapid Fire and Sweep penalties (-1/2), along with Two-Weapon Fighting and Defense Maneuver IV.

I've been slowly gettign everything cleaned. I'm working on the Werewolf stuff now. I think I want to use your Demon Hunter X stuff make a Ninja Hero/anime monster hunter character (with the tight cheongsam and a whacking big sword-thingy).

I'm probably going to be branded as a heretic for suggesting this,

Susano, but if you can get ahold of a copy of Palladium's Mystic China,

or if you know someone who does, then check out the entry for

the "Triad Assassin Style" martial art. This (fictional) style focuses

specifically on the use of firearms.

Space Cadet :D

Perhaps taking a look at some books on Zen archery would be of benefit. Also, looking up real historical speed target shooters could help (I forgot the guy's name, but he could take a single action revolver....not a double action revolver or semi-auto....and shoot 5 rounds a second with a shot group of less than 5 inches in diameter at 50 feet...extremely impressive). Also, if you can find any other shooting books, in particular ones about skeet shooting would be beneficial. I remember my dad telling me about how a famous skeet shooter said that it was a far more mental challenge than a physical one and that he would "feel" the skeets being shot.

So it seems like the common thread even with modern firearms is that it is about mental concentration. I read an article about pentathletes and the Olympic sport of rifle shooting with cross country skiing. One guy on the American team said he practiced Yoga so that he could reduce his breathing patterns down from how hard you'd be breathing after sprinting 100 yards with your heart pounding, to breathing only once every few seconds and returning your heart rate to normal in a matter of a few seconds concetration. Pretty neat stuff actually. And of course sniping is a whole nother ball game when it comes to training and there's plenty of reading material available for things like that.

I'm not sure how helpful that information is, but at least it can help you explain the special effects of such "gun-katas" and how they work.

Originally posted by Markdoc

Susano wrote:

>>>I think I want to use your Demon Hunter X stuff make a Ninja Hero/anime monster hunter character (with the tight cheongsam and a whacking big sword-thingy).<<<<

Like this?

BTW, Mike, recognise the guy?

cheers, Mark

Man... they'll let anyone into the AMP these days... :D

• 2 months later...

To warm this a bit up.

My easiest take on the Gun-Kata (at least the "Whirlwind Shot") would be:

Take an Area Effect on your guns with the limit 1 Turn Extra Time and you might hit everybody almost simultaneously with a sure hit chance.

I got bullied into converting the clerics of Equilibrium into an elite squad for the current game I'm playing in. So if I manage to complete it I'll drop you a line.

(Or has anybody else started something like that already?)