Great Goggle-Eyed Ninjas!

Vestnik

Re: Great Goggle-Eyed Ninjas!

Being attacked from behind reduces your DCV. That is different from "surprise", so it presumably reflects the fact that our arms don't help protect our back very well. The Defense Maneuvers skill allows you to move so that you don't allow someone to get behind you like that.

360-degree senses are an excellent justification for developing these skills, however!

"Behind" isn't simply a lack of perception, it's a lack of ability to react to someone not facing you as well.

So while you can percieve someone behind you just fine with a 360 degree sense, that doesn't mean you can react on that information when surrounded in combat.

It does mean you won't be surprised however.

"Behind" isn't simply a lack of perception, it's a lack of ability to react to someone not facing you as well.

So while you can percieve someone behind you just fine with a 360 degree sense, that doesn't mean you can react on that information when surrounded in combat.

It does mean you won't be surprised however.

Yeah...to some extent it just means you see it comming ;)

I disagree with the (until now at least) consensus that having 360 degree vision does not prevent you from taking penalties when attacked from behind. In what way does it make sense you can duck more effectively if the attacker is in front of you even though you'd see him anyway behind you?

Besides, it specifically lists that the Surprise penalties (which are identical to those for Attacked From Behind) apply if attacking from behind. And it says in the Increased Arc of Perception description that a character has full DCV against all perceived threats.

Well I may be "house rulin" but I let attacks from bad angles get about half the normal bonus....it's not a suprise attack (so no x2 stun) but you are defending at a disadvantage.

This may be a symtom of having so many blankin Ninjas running around as PC's though...

I amy have done a poor job of explaining...basicly I am saying that 360 vision does not duplicate Def man...so multiple attacker bonus aplys...though I halve the penalty because you have no "blind spots" for example...

Right. If you have 360 degree vision and are attacked by 6 coordinating ninjas, none of the ninjas are considered to be attacking from behind or surprise, but they still get their multiple attacker bonus for coordinating.

Right. If you have 360 degree vision and are attacked by 6 coordinating ninjas' date=' none of the ninjas are considered to be attacking from behind or surprise, but they still get their multiple attacker bonus for coordinating.[/quote']

Yeah...360 vision mean "you see it comming" but you don't get the benefits of Def man 1-4 unless you buy them....

I do give a small bonus for attacks from behind because it's dang hard to fight that way unless your a shape shifter, but thats just me...

Yeah...360 vision mean "you see it comming" but you don't get the benefits of Def man 1-4 unless you buy them....

I do give a small bonus for attacks from behind because it's dang hard to fight that way unless your a shape shifter, but thats just me...

It's hard to attack that way, but not defend in my experience. You don't have to have your arms up in front of you to duck and dodge, and any special defensive gear that doesn't work versus attacks from behind should have been bought with a limitation (such as Shields that provide extra DCV).

I have a question about the 360-Degree Increased Perception power and the Defense Maneuvers allowing a character to treat all characters "behind" him or her as being, well, not behind.

Are these redundant? Does a character with 360 Degree Spatial Awareness (or whatever) need them?

The Defense maneuver basically says that you move in a way that prevents people from getting a clean shot at your back. So they don't get the bonus of "attacking from behind". The 360 Degree Increased Perception means that you can actually "see"(in some sense) where they are.

I'm also of the same belief as Dust Raven that if you have 360 degree perception, then there are no "attacking from behind" penalties because you essentially have no "blind spot" for the attacker to hide in or surprise you from.

I'm also of the same belief as Dust Raven that if you have 360 degree perception' date=' then there are no "attacking from behind" penalties because you essentially have no "blind spot" for the attacker to hide in or surprise you from.[/quote']

Yeah, you can add me to the list of people who share that perspective.