Power source or origin by era

Doug McCrae

Sparked off by assault saying he wouldn't allow nanotechnology in his game, here's a list of what origins/power sources I feel are acceptable in each era. I've probably missed a few but these seem to be most common. Some really dominate, the Silver Age is famous for its radioactive heroes and flying saucers for example while the Iron Age is very mutant heavy.

Golden Age

Special training in boxing and gymnastics

Chemicals, particularly a serum or formula

Scientific accident

Magic

Learning strange powers in Tibet

Given or built a special vehicle

Radiation

Raised by animals

Alien

Robot

Silver Age

Radiation

Alien

Gadgetry, especially alien gadgetry

Scientific accident

Cosmic rays

Struck by lightning

Mutant

Robot

God

Magic

Bronze Age

Alien or space god

Mystical

Horror monster – vampire, werewolf, demon etc.

Gadgetry

Mutant

Taught kung fu

Cyborg

Genetic engineering

Being the son or daughter of a superhero

Iron Age

Mutant

Genetic modification

Cyborg

Nanotechnology

Special drugs

Ninja training

Mystical, especially Satanic

Scientific accident

No explanation for powers whatsoever, or amnesia

Re: Power source or origin by era

Here's a reorganization of your lists, which I thought was interesting. "What goes around, comes around" with a different name or spin...

Special training in boxing and gymnastics

Chemicals, particularly a serum or formula

Special drugs

Struck by lightning

Scientific accident

Radiation

Cosmic rays

Taught kung fu

Ninja training

Learning strange powers in Tibet

Magic

Mystical

Mystical, especially Satanic

Horror monster – vampire, werewolf, demon etc.

Given or built a special vehicle

Gadgetry

Gadgetry, especially alien gadgetry

Robot

Cyborg

Nanotechnology

Genetic modification

Genetic engineering

|

Mutant

|

Being from Atlantis, Paradise Island or some other "Hidden Land"

Alien

Alien or space god

God

Raised by animals

No explanation for powers whatsoever, or amnesia

Not really. Nano tech came around the 90's. Cyborgs first came in the 70's (Six Million Man).

Robotman was a "full body replacement" cyborg in 1942. He was revived in All Star Squadron in the 80s, and made a scattering of other appearances.

A namesake appeared in the Silver Age, and has continued to appear at least sporadically to the present day.

Incidentally, I'm a big fan of the Silver Age Robotman, and the Doom Patrol in general. I have a homage team in my CU, although I haven't bothered to name them yet.

EDIT: Another Silver Age cyborg: Lightning Lad. He was given a metallic replacement arm in a 1965 story. He later was able to regrow a real one.

EDIT: Another Silver Age cyborg: Lightning Lad. He was given a metallic replacement arm in a 1965 story. He later was able to regrow a real one.

Yes but Lightning Lad didn't get any power worth mentioning from being a cyborg. He just had a pretty good prosthesis.

Wouldn't Nanotechnology fit under a subsect of "Cyborg" - and with the same concept of Genetic Engineering and/or Bio-replacements.

Not as such. A cyborg is a person who has actually had body parts replaced with artificial replacements. The recently trendy nanotech characters have all their original parts, but nanobugs as well.

Yes but Lightning Lad didn't get any power worth mentioning from being a cyborg. He just had a pretty good prosthesis.

That was the theory. Apparently the reality turned out a little different. From

http://members.shaw.ca/legion_roll_call/legionnaires/lightning_lad/

---

When Garth lost his right arm to the Super-Moby Dick of Space, Dr. Lanphier, the monster's creator, gave him a robot, metal arm (AD 332). A few months later, Garth was hypnotized by his personal physician, Dr. Hanscom, into becoming the super-powered half of his alter-ego, Starfinger. Powered by Garth's lightning power, Hanscom rewired the robot arm into producing a variety of super-powered effects: super-lightning (index finger), force-thrust ray (middle finger), any kind super-radiation: heat, Green Kryptonite, etc. (ring finger), freezing-ray (pinky) and power-neutralizer ray (thumb). By combining all fingers, he created a new effect: a power-distorting ray. With it, he turned Matter-Eater Lad to metal, shrunk Colossal Boy and made Light Lass super-heavy (AD 335).

---

AD = Adventure Comics.

There is no need to comment on the "Super-Moby Dick of Space" is there? It is interesting, though, that such a cheesy notion ties so directly into the far more interesting Starfinger plotline. I guess it's all just one big hamburger.

Yet another Silver Age cyborg: Tharok, from the Fatal Five.

We've adequately established the presence of Golden and Silver Age cyborgs, I think. They do seem to become more common over time, though.

It looks like a rather good table to me, but I have to point out some IMO blatant omissions: a) "Cosmic Power" has been a steadily popular power source since Kirby. This does not necessarily mean gods, as it is often written to indicate a primordial power source tied to the very structure of the universe that may bypass or transcend personified gods B) Psi is another evergreen that has been around to soem degree since Golden Age, most definitely since silver; often it is used by mutants, but it's not restricted to them by any means c) In some Iron Age sources, the idea gets tossed around that some, maybe all, superpowers are powered by conscious or unconscious "reality warping" by one's mind, typically with throwing around some technobabble vaguely sounding like quantum physics. Often it is the mechanism that fuels the powers of mutants, by it's not resticted to them by any means (except in the settings where all supers are natural or artificially-induced mutants, of course).

Some power sources often overlap (e.g. mutants and genetic engineering), but that's typical of the whole genre. Different writers often have different interpretations of nuances in a character's powers.

Good point about Golden and Silver Age cyborgs, I'd forgotten about Robotman. Like mutants, cyborgs became much more common in the Iron Age.

Another one from the GA and SA only is being 'evolutionarily advanced'. This usually implies increased physical ability and mental powers like telepathy. It was Superman's first origin.