VPP, Shapeshift and You

Sketchpad

Re: VPP, Shapeshift and You

Back in the day, I made a shapeshifter with the basic Shapeshift Power, then linked multipowers for movement and attack powers. The senses and defenses were outside a mulitpower (I wanted them all the time).

It worked well and was cheaper than a VPP. The separate multipowers could have been combined, but it was easy to see how the powers worked that way.

One example.

SILENCE

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

20/60 STR 10 13- / 21- Lift 400.0kg/102.4tons; 4d6/12d6; [2/6]

20 DEX 30 13- OCV 7 DCV 7

18 CON 16 13-

10/14 BODY 0 11- / 12-

18 INT 8 13- PER Roll 13-

20 EGO 20 13- ECV: 7

20 PRE 10 13- PRE Attack: 4d6

10 COM 0 11-

4/20 PD 0 Total: 4/20 PD (0/12 rPD)

4/20 ED 0 Total: 4/20 ED (0/12 rED)

4 SPD 10 Phases: 3, 6, 9, 12

8 REC 0

36 END 0

29/33 STUN 0 Total Characteristic Cost: 104

Movement: Running: 6" / 12"

Swimming: 2" / 4"

Leaping: 4"/12"

Flight: 12" / 24"

Cost Powers END

60 Glamours Of The Quiet Ones: Shapeshift (Sight, Hearing and Touch Groups, Limited Group: Any Humanoid), Imitation, Instant Change, Makeover, Costs END Only To Change Shape (+1/4) (60 Active Points) 5

7 True Immortality: Life Support (Eating Character only has to eat once per week; Longevity Immortal; Sleeping Character only has to sleep 8 hours per week) 0

5 Dreaming Mind of the Quiet Ones: Eidetic Memory

5 Dreaming Mind of the Quiet Ones II: Mental Defense (9 points total) 0

125 Variable Power Pool, 50 base + 75 control cost, Cosmic (+2) (125 Active Points)

0 1) Enriching of the Body: Density Increase (1,400 kg mass, +20 STR, +4 PD/ED, -4" KB), Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4) (25 Active Points) Real Cost: 25 2

0 2) Lilliput: Growth (+20 STR, +4 BODY, +4 STUN, -4" KB, 1,440 kg, -2 DCV, +2 PER Rolls to perceive character, 4.7 m tall, 2.4 m wide), Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4) (25 Active Points) Real Cost: 25 2

0 3) Brobdingnag: Shrinking (0.1175 m tall, 0.022 kg mass, -8 PER Rolls to perceive character, +8 DCV, takes +12" KB), Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4) (50 Active Points) Real Cost: 50 4

0 4) To Drift Through The Dream of the World: Desolidification (affected by Magic), Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4) (50 Active Points) Real Cost: 50 4

0 5) Armor of Flesh: Force Field (12 PD/12 ED), Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4) (30 Active Points) Real Cost: 30 2

0 6) To Move in the Dream of the World: Flight 12", Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4) (30 Active Points) Real Cost: 30 2

0 7) To Wrap in Shadows: Invisibility to Sight Group , No Fringe (30 Active Points) Real Cost: 30 3

0 8) To Scent the Spirit: Mind Scan 10d6 (50 Active Points) Real Cost: 50 5

0 9) To Taste the Mind: Telepathy 8d6, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (50 Active Points) Real Cost: 50 2

0 10) To Promise and Cajole: Mind Control 4d6, Telepathic (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Cumulative (48 points; +3/4) (45 Active Points) Real Cost: 45 2

0 11) Sending of Dreams: Mental Illusions 5 1/2d6 (Additional Class of Minds: Animal class of minds), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (47 Active Points) Real Cost: 47 2

0 12) The Drinking of Memories: Drain INT and Ego 0 1/2d6, Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per 5 Minutes; +1/2), INT, EGO simultaneously (+1/2), Ranged (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Based On EGO Combat Value (Mental Defense applies; +1) (20 Active Points) Real Cost: 20 0

0 13) To Charm and Beguile: Succor PRE 7 1/2d6 (standard effect: 22 points), Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4) (47 Active Points); Self Only (-1/2) Real Cost: 31 4

0 14) To Walk The Secret Paths: Extra-Dimensional Movement (Any Dimension, Any Location), x2 Increased Weight (50 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), -1 1/4), Restrainable (Must be able to walk and move freely; -1/2) Real Cost: 18 5

Skills

3 Acting 13-

3 Persuasion 13-

3 Conversation 13-

3 High Society 13-

3 Streetwise 13-

3 Disguise 13-

3 Mimicry 13-

3 Linguist

2 1) Language: Arabic (completely fluent) (3 Active Points)

0 2) Language: English (imitate dialects; literate) (6 Active Points)

1 3) Language: French (completely fluent) (3 Active Points)

1 4) Language: Italian (completely fluent) (3 Active Points)

2 5) Language: Latin (completely fluent; literate) (4 Active Points)

1 6) Language: Spanish (completely fluent) (3 Active Points)

3 Traveler

1 1) AK: Earth (2 Active Points) 11-

1 2) AK: Places of Mystery (2 Active Points) 11-

1 3) AK: The Land of Legends (2 Active Points) 11-

3 Scholar

1 1) KS: Faerie Lore (2 Active Points) 11-

1 2) KS: Places of Mystery (2 Active Points) 11-

1 3) KS: Planar Lore (2 Active Points) 11-

1 4) KS: The Mystic World (2 Active Points) 11-

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 246

Total Cost: 350

200+ Disadvantages

10 Distinctive Features: Fat Hairless Corpse-Like Grey Creature (Easily Concealed; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses) Note: Concealed by Shape Shifting

10 Distinctive Features: Non-Human Magical Aura (Not Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable Only By Unusual Senses)

5 Physical Limitation: Absorbs the memories of his food; this is not a problem with vegetables (Infrequently, Slightly Impairing)

10 Vulnerability: 1 1/2 x STUN Fire and Heat (Common)

10 Vulnerability: 1 1/2 x BODY Fire and Heat (Common)

10 Psychological Limitation: Curiosity, Inquisitiveness (Common, Moderate)

15 Psychological Limitation: Protective of the Innocent (Common, Strong)

10 Psychological Limitation: Hatred of that which dehumanizes individuals, deep hatred of those who turn humans into monsters (Uncommon, Strong)

20 Hunted: The Devil's Advocates 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)

20 Hunted: The Circle of the Scarlet Moon 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)

20 Hunted: The Council 11- (Mo Pow, NCI, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Watching) Note: The Council has found Silence to be an extraordinarily effective agent, and will often request his aid

10 Hunted: UNTIL 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Watching) Note: At the moment, UNTIL considers Silence to be a potential ally in the American mystic world. That opinion may change.

0 Experience Points

Total Disadvantage Points: 350

Background/History: The following excerpts from the files of Doctor Black and Doctor White are protected under UN Security Regulations text (chapters 1.4 & 7.2.4). Any use of these excerpts that does not fall under those regulations is strictly prohibited.

“My father had a small estate in Nottinghamshire; I was the third of five sons.

You wish to hear of my journeys? There was a time, I think, when I shared such tales gladly. That was long ago, and the man I was is dead.

No, I fear that I do not speak figuratively.”

- Black & White, 2003, Interview 2, Tape 1.

At the time of this interview, subject appeared to be a Caucasian male in his early twenties, approximately six feet tall, weighing roughly one hundred and eighty pounds, with black hair and grey eyes. However, note that subject has demonstrated the ability to alter height, weight, and physical appearance.

“This part of the tale is difficult for me. I was lost, you see, and without hope. I had thought that one more journey would be enough, that I would at last bring home proof to quiet those among my peers who thought me a liar, or mad. Perhaps I simply hoped for one more grand adventure. I was a very different man.”

- Black & White, 2003, Interview 3, Tape 1

“The Quiet Ones squat peacefully by the sea, a vast number of them. They resemble the Oriental Buddha, fat and hairless, looking much like the toothless ancients they are. The stench of decay that rises both from the Quiet Ones themselves and the beach where they sit is quite terrible. As they sit and smile, creatures come to the Quiet Ones from air, sea and land. Crabs and birds, rats and dogs. The Quiet Ones fill these creatures’ minds with dreams, dreams which the Quiet Ones share. The creatures will sit and play by sides of the Quiet Ones, peaceful and happy, until they starve. The Quiet Ones will then wait for the creature’s bodies to soften.”

“The Quiet Ones then eat the bodies.”

- Black & White, 2003, Interview 4, Tape 2.

Independent confirmation of the existence of the “Quiet Ones” has not been obtained, nor have we been able to locate the aforementioned beach. Subject has demonstrated the ability to transport self extra-dimensionally, and his claims may not therefore be entirely dismissed.

“The dream the Quiet One used to ensnare me was quite beautiful. I was home, in England, surrounded by my family and friends, comforted by the most positive of emotions. In my travels I had learned of such traps, and I did fight. The Quiet One, for its part, had I think never before encountered a creature such as myself. When you are used to a diet of crab and rat, a meal of a man who has seen much of the Secret World may be poisonously rich.”

“When I opened my eyes, thinking myself finally free of the dream, I found myself instead firmly bound to nightmare.”

- Black & White, 2003, Interview 4, Tape 2

The subject has submitted to a full medical exam, including blood and DNA tests. All data gathered indicates that the subject may not be, physiologically speaking, human.

“It took me some time to understand what had become of my old self, or selves, and more to gain some base facility with my new form. Even now, I lack the depth and surety of power held by those whom I must, I suppose, call brothers.”

“I know not how long I remained, quite mad, sitting by the rippling sea, sending dreams to crabs. After some time I came more fully to myself, and changed. With effort, I found that I could assume the mask of my former body. I rose, and left the land of the Quiet Ones.”

- Black & White, 2003, Interview 5, Tape 1

The subject is a known associate of the group known as the New Circle (ref. MA47232nt), and does not appear to represent a threat to the public. Personality evaluation results have been mixed, but have generally indicated a well balanced, healthy psyche. However, the non-human nature of the subject may reduce the reliability and validity of results obtained through the use of standard evaluation instruments.

“It was the arrogance of the woman that so enraged me. I have had my humanity taken from me, my life ended. I am now a monster, and I know exactly what that means. She was using glamour and lies to ensnare those children, to lead them down the path to damnation and make them beasts for her own amusement. In the end I might have killed her, and thus have become a monster in spirit as well as in body. The old man and his students saved me from that fate.”

“I shall strive to ensure that what happened to me on that peaceful shore shall never happen here.”

- Black & White, 2003, Interview 5, Tape 2

It is our recommendation that the subject be kept under observation, and cultivated as a potential friendly contact in North America’s Mystic Community.

Personality/Motivation: “Carter Dampier” retains much of the best of the original’s personality, and little of the bitterness that once drove that younger man. His guilt at the manner of his own creation may be in part behind his dedication to protecting the innocent against the supernatural. It is certainly behind his hatred for that which robs individuals of their humanity. When assuming a role he will mimic that personality as closely as he is able, often with uncanny success. He is generally reserved and polite when not playing a role.

Quote: “Rest with me here a while. There is nothing to fear.” “Put down that gun, soldier!”

Powers/Tactics: The imprinting of a human mind upon a Quiet One has resulted in a creature with less raw power than the original, but with far more initiative. Direct combat is not Silence's forte, and he will avoid it if at all possible. If he can, he will Wrap himself in Shadow for concealment and then use The Drinking of Memories against the most powerful looking of his foes. If he has no choice save to enter physical combat, he will change into the most physically powerful form he can and try to take his foe down quickly.

Outside of combat, Silence is terrifying. Given time to interrogate a helpless target, Silence can duplicate them almost perfectly, and using The Drinking of Memories and Tasting of Minds can wrest from them virtually any secret. His incredible memory allows him to use this information to infiltrate any organization that does not take the most elaborate of security precautions. His Comforting Whispers allow him to charm virtually any individual or group. Once Silence is within an organization, he will very quickly find its leaders, and unless they are well protected he will very likely replace them.

Within the New Circle, Silence plays a support and investigative role. His expertise on other worlds and secret places is also appreciated.

Campaign Use: The memories and personality of a hero have imprinted themselves on a creature that had very little personality of its own, resulting in an alien that very much wishes to be human. As a member of the New Circle, Silence can quickly gain high level intelligence for the group on almost any organization. As an NPC hero, Silence can offer the PCs at least surface level intelligence on virtually any cult or criminal conspiracy. Finally, in his previous life Carter knew more of the Secret World than any human alive. He could prove an invaluable information source, and could also take heroes almost anywhere they needed to go, in almost any reality.

As Carter achieves fuller control of the power of the Quiet Ones, he will be able to change his shape in more profound ways, and will become far more physically powerful. His skill list will likely expand tremendously as he continues to “taste minds”. The oldest and most powerful Quiet Ones are able to cloak an area several kilometers in diameter in illusion.

Plot Seed: Silence “Drinks the Memories” and “Tastes the Mind” of a powerful mentalist. Now the dominant personality of Carter has started to fade, and the personality of the mentalist is taking over Silence. Worse, the new personality has fuller access to the Quiet One’s powers than Carter ever achieved. Can the Carter personality be restored?

Plot Seed: Vilsimbra of the Devil’s Advocates has recognized Silence for what he is, and is determined to control him. Can the PCs stop the Advocates from gaining control of a hero?

Plot Seed: Half of the campaign city has become a nightmarish wonderland, where peoples’ greatest fears and most cherished dreams become reality. Silence recognizes the presence of a far more powerful Quiet One, and goes to the PCs for help.

Plot Seed: A PC mage needs a guide to Faerie and the worlds beyond. Silence is at his service.

Appearance: In his natural form, Silence appears to be a grey corpse-like humanoid with neither teeth nor hair. He can assume almost any humanoid form at will, and will generally maintain the face and body of Cartier Dampier when not playing a role. As Carter, he has close-cropped black hair, steel grey eyes, extremely regular facial features, and an athlete's physique.

Another example, this time built around duplication.

MULTI-MAKI, THE ONE GIRL GANG

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

20/60 STR 10 13- / 21- Lift 400.0kg/102.4tons; 4d6/12d6 [2/6]

20 DEX 30 13- OCV: 7/DCV: 7

18 CON 16 13-

14/18 BODY 8 12- / 13-

13 INT 3 12- PER Roll 12-

10 EGO 0 11- ECV: 3

15 PRE 5 12- PRE Attack: 3d6

16 COM 3 12-

4/27 PD 0 Total: 4/27 PD (0/19 rPD)

4/27 ED 0 Total: 4/27 ED (0/19 rED)

4 SPD 10 Phases: 3, 6, 9, 12

8 REC 0

36 END 0

33/37 STUN 0 Total Characteristic Cost: 85

Movement: Running: 6"/12"

Gliding: 25"/50"

Leaping: 24"/48"

Swimming: 2"/4"

Cost Powers END

52 Mirror Maki Gang: Duplication (creates 8 350-point Duplicates), Easy Recombination (Zero-Phase Action at Full DCV), Ranged Recombination (+1/2) (142 Active Points); Feedback (Only STUN Damage Feeds Back; -1/2), Concentration (0 DCV; -1/2), Nonpersistent (-1/4), Gestures (Requires full body movement; -1/4), Incantations (Chanting the word "Kagami Maki Ichimi" loudly and clearly; -1/4)

Notes: If any of Maki's bodies are injured, all feel the pain. If any are stunned, all are stunned, and she will "snap back" into a single form. If she can, she will leave her original body in a safe location.

12 One Mind: Mind Link , Her Own Duplicates class of minds, One Specific Mind, Number of Minds (x8), Psychic Bond (25 Active Points); Only With Others Who Have Mind Link (-1)

23 Onmyoji Immortal: Healing 1 BODY, Can Heal Limbs, Resurrection, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (70 Active Points); Extra Time (Regeneration-Only) 1 Minute (-1 1/2), Self Only (-1/2)

Notes: May only be truly killed as part of a magical ceremony, or if her body is reduced to ash

5 Immortal: Life Support (Longevity: Immortal)

12 Immortal's Luck: Combat Luck (6 PD/6 ED)

Notes: Unless taken by surprise, Maki's skills and training often allow her to avoid harm from attacks that would kill a normal person. Luck plays its role in this.

9 Immortal Toughness: Armor (3 PD/3 ED)

5 Immortal's Eyes: Magesight

7 Onmyoji Magic Instant Change (Improved): Cosmetic Transform 2d6 (Change Clothes (any)), Improved Target Group (+1/4) (12 Active Points); Limited Target (Clothes) Limited (-1/2), Restrainable (Only by means other than Grabs and Entangles; -1/4) 1

80 Immortal Shape Shifting: Multipower, 100-point reserve, (100 Active Points); all slots Restrainable (Only by means other than Grabs and Entangles; -1/4)

Notes: This form of immortal magic requires Maki to whisper the name of the form she wishes to invoke whie assuming a ritual stance. Bindig and gaging her is the only way to prevent these changes from taking place; merely one or the other alone will not suffice.

4u 1) Cloud: Desolidification (affected by Magic), Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4) (50 Active Points); Restrainable (Only by means other than Grabs and Entangles; -1/4) 4

2u 2) Stone: Density Increase (700 kg mass, +20 STR, +4 PD/ED, -4" KB), Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4) (25 Active Points); Restrainable (Only by means other than Grabs and Entangles; -1/4) 2

2u 3) Mountain: Growth (+20 STR, +4 BODY, +4 STUN, -4" KB, 736 kg, -2 DCV, +2 PER Rolls to perceive character, 3.8 m tall, 1.9 m wide), Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4) (25 Active Points); Restrainable (Only by means other than Grabs and Entangles; -1/4) 2

4u 4) Leaf: Shrinking (0.095 m tall, 0.0112 kg mass, -8 PER Rolls to perceive character, +8 DCV, takes +12" KB), Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4) (50 Active Points); Restrainable (Only by means other than Grabs and Entangles; -1/4) 4

2u 5) Water: Stretching 4", Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (25 Active Points); Restrainable (Only by means other than Grabs and Entangles; -1/4) 1

2u 6) Metal: Force Field (10 PD/10 ED), Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4) (25 Active Points); Restrainable (Only by means other than Grabs and Entangles; -1/4) 2

2u 7) Thunder: +25 PRE (25 Active Points); Restrainable (Only by means other than Grabs and Entangles; -1/4)

2u 8) Wind: Gliding 25" (25 Active Points); Restrainable (Only by means other than Grabs and Entangles; -1/4)

1u 9) Earthquake: +20 STR, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (25 Active Points); No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), Restrainable (Only by means other than Grabs and Entangles; -1/4) 1

2u 10) Lightning: Leaping +20" (24"/32" forward, 12"/16" upward) (Accurate) (25 Active Points); Restrainable (Only by means other than Grabs and Entangles; -1/4) 2

1u 11) Shadow: Invisibility to Sight and Hearing Groups (25 Active Points); Only When Not Attacking (-1/2), Restrainable (Only by means other than Grabs and Entangles; -1/4) 2

Notes: When using her Smoke technique, only those within 1" even have a chance of detecting Maki's pressence.

Ninjitsu

Maneuver OCV DCV Notes

3 Takedown +1 +1 4d6 / 12d6 Strike; Target Falls

5 Kick -2 +1 8d6 / 16d6 Strike

4 Dodge -- +5 Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort

Skills

0 Language: Japanese (idiomatic; literate) (5 Active Points)

3 Language: English (fluent conversation; literate)

3 Teamwork 13-

3 Scholar

1 1) KS: Japanese Arcane and Occult Lore (2 Active Points) 11-

1 2) KS: Martial World (2 Active Points) 11-

1 3) KS: Mystic World (2 Active Points) 11-

1 4) KS: Ninjitsu (2 Active Points) 11-

1 5) KS: Onmyodo (Japanese style Taoist Magic) (2 Active Points) 11-

1 6) KS: Taoist Philosophy (2 Active Points) 11-

3 Shadowing 12-

3 Stealth 13-

3 Concealment 12-

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 265

Total Cost: 350

200+ Disadvantages

5 Distinctive Features: Magical Aura (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable Only By Unusual Senses)

10 Distinctive Features: Style: Ninjitsu (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Large Group)

15 Social Limitation: Secret ID: Makiko Sasaki, College Student (Frequently, Major)

Notes: Her many hunteds make this role quite dangerous. Inevitably, this will eventually become a Public ID.

15 Dependent NPC: Kidnap Prone Friends or Classmate of the Week 8- (Normal; Group DNPC: x2 DNPCs)

15 Hunted: Japanese Supernatural Monsters 8- (Mo Pow, Capture)

15 Hunted: Master Ninja 8- (Mo Pow, Capture)

20 Hunted: Grandmother Sasaki, her sensei 11- (Mo Pow, NCI, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Watching)

Notes: Maki's Sensei will often interfere in her life in large and small ways, from assigning her missions to driving off "bad influences."

5 Rivalry: Professional (Other Super Martial Artists; Rival is As Powerful; Seek to Outdo, Embarrass, or Humiliate Rival; Rival Aware of Rivalry)

Notes: While Makiko may play the part of the humble heroine, she is actually very competitive. She will attempt to prove herelf suerior to other Super hand to hand fighters whenever possible.

15 Psychological Limitation: Believes it is her responsibility to protect Japan from Evil, both Natural and Supernatural (Very Common, Moderate)

10 Psychological Limitation: Obsessive Self Improvement, Studies and Practices at every opportunity (Common, Moderate)

Notes: Drawing Makiko in with promises of new knowledge or a secret technique has worked before, and will work again.

15 Psychological Limitation: Does not trust men, especially American Men (Very Common, Moderate)

Notes: Encounters with Flesh Gordon and the American villain known as Master Ninja have changed what was once a fascination with American culture into a deep distrust of American men. Her experiences with Japanese men have been almost as bad.

10 Psychological Limitation: Demands to be taken seriously, very limited sense of humor (Common, Moderate)

Total Disadvantage Points: 350

Background/History: “Aieeeee!”

The shrieks of terror shattered the peace of Showa Women’s College. A hugely muscular bare-chested blonde man in stood in the courtyard, sneering down at the helpless girl clutched in his hands.

“You Japanese are worthless and weak! Now I’ll show you what a real man can do!”

Black shadows writhed under skin, muscles flexed and strained, and suddenly a dozen black tentacles exploded from the blonde man’s frame!

Ducking into an empty classroom, a young student whispered “Kagami Maki Ichimi”. In a flash of light her school uniform was replaced with a scandalously brief swimsuit and half mask. Assuming a ritual pose, the girl called out “Kagami Maki Ichimi!” Once again the room was filled with light, and where there had stood one girl, now there were two.

The blonde man laughed and roared out obscene threats as his long black tentacles grabbed at the young students of Showa Joshidai. Two girls were hoisted into the air, flailing helplessly. Like a Prince of Hell come to earth, the man-like thing strode forward and seized another girl, and another. As the last of the students fled the court, the beast man roared. “I shall feast on your flesh and crunch your bones!”

Six wisps of shadow flowed swiftly from the school building. Five surrounded the man, near invisible, unnoticed. The sixth stopped before the terrible beast.

Two terrified school girls took shelter in the classroom. They found Makiko, wearing her school uniform, staring out the window at the monster’s attack. Makiko spoke comfortingly, and firmly. “Don’t be afraid. Look outside!”

Outside, the whispered phrase “Mountain Thunder Cloud” was lost as, directly in front of the beast, one wisp of shadow suddenly spread and grew, becoming a beautiful ghost-like girl nearly twelve feet tall. This astonishing apparition spoke with a sweet pure voice that shook the building. “Let the girls go!”

The monster was startled. For an instant, his face looked almost human again. For an instant, he lost track of all save the amazing figure before him. That instant was all it took.

Five tiny fragments of shadow near the beast-mans feet took the form of doll-like women barely five inches tall. Shouting “Stone Metal Leaf” they leapt, one striking each of his ankles, the remaining kicking tiny iron-hard feet into his stomach with choreographed precision. Stunned, he struck the ground, the concrete cracking beneath him! His tentacles loosed the captured schoolgirls.

Roaring in pain and anger the monstrous man-thing leaped upwards again, his brutal tentacles leaping towards the giantess. Shouting “Wind Shadow Cloud”, the giantess leaped backwards and vanished, leaving the monster clutching at nothing.

Once more, two tiny girls stuck at the monster’s ankles, tumbling him down. With shouts of “Stone Mountain Earthquake” the remaining three girls swelled into giants, mirror images of the girl that had vanished. Their huge feet struck again at the now prone monster.

What was left, smeared across and into broken paving and surrounded by twitching, severed tentacles, did not move again.

Makiko turned from the window towards her classmates as the remaining giantesses faded from view. “You see,” said Makiko, “the one girl gang has saved us again.” Her classmates, who had passed out, said nothing at all.

At the age of four, Makiko’s grandmother began instructing her in Onmyodo (Japanese Taoist magic). Makiko swiftly proved a prodigy in many aspects of the art, particularly the transformation of her physical form. By the age of twelve, Makiko had mastered “multiple presence”, the ability to simultaneously appear at two or more points in space. Her grandmother was very clear in explaining the responsibilities that came with such power. Makiko would dedicate her life to the defense of Japan from natural and supernatural threats. Anything less would be a betrayal of her destiny. At twelve, it seemed like a fair trade. Today, though she still carries on the fight, Makiko is not so sure.

Personality/Motivation: Now twenty years old, Makiko still lives with her grandmother in Komazawa, and attends classes at Showa Women’s College. More than once she has rebelled against the strict rules under which her grandmother demands she must live, but she has not yet gathered the courage to openly defy the old woman. Her relationships with Japanese boys have all ended badly, as did a brief relationship with the American hero Flesh Gordon. Together with her many unpleasant and embarrassing encounters with the American calling himself “Master Ninja”, this has left Makiko deeply distrustful of men in general, and white men in particular. Makiko takes herself and her life very seriously, and can be very competitive. She is very protective of her friends.

Quote: “Stone Metal Leaf!” “Touch me again, I break both you arms.”

Powers/Tactics: Makiko is a moderately good martial artist and a powerful magician. If she has time to release all of her duplicates, she can be very dangerous. If confronted before she is able to duplicate, Makiko will use “Lightning Cloud Shadow” to flee.

Makiko should not attempt to wade into combat as a standard brick; if one of her bodies is stunned, all save the original will vanish, and she doesn’t have the defenses to trade punches toe-to-toe. Often, one of her bodies will use “Mountain Thunder Cloud” to perform a massive surprise PRE attack while her other duplicates move into position using “Lightning Shadow Leaf”. Once the target is distracted, the other bodies will switch powers appropriately and use coordinated attacks to knock the target prone, following up with harder attacks. If facing multiple foes, Maki’s bodies will rely on “Stone Metal Leaf” and try to coordinate attacks on one foe at a time.

Campaign Use: Makiko makes a good rival and some-time ally for PCs. She can be used as a PC, but is much more powerful in some ways than she might appear, and will not fit well in many campaigns. She is unlikely to hunt anyone for long without very good reason.

Plot Seed: A Japanese Vampire is stalking the city, and he laughs at crosses and garlic. One female exchange student seems to know something about this.

Plot Seed: Using his Amazing Ninja Mind Control, Master Ninja has kidnapped one of Maki’s selves and taken her to the city. Maki needs help from the PCs to find herself again.

Plot Seed: During an adventure in Japan, one of the PC makes a pass at a local heroine. He is rebuffed. He makes another pass, this one crude and direct. Mayhem ensues. And what happens when Master Ninja sees another American making passes at “his” girl?

Appearance: An attractive Japanese girl in her late teens. In her normal clothing, Makiko downplays her looks as much a possible. However, when fighting crime as the One Girl Gang, Makiko wears a variety of extremely revealing costumes. She has found that almost no one can make the connection between the dowdy and conservative Makiko Sasaki, college student, and the flamboyant shape-shifting Multi-Maki.

From a current thread discussing Multiform, I'm obliged to conclude that the character I've built as a Multiform should instead be constructed as a funny sort of linked/limited combined Shapeshift-Multipower.

Making that assumption (which makes the character relevant here) ... he takes "power pills" of his own invention, of which he has four different types. He can take one of each type of pill once a day (to try it more than once leads to unspecified but potentially lethal consequences). Each pill lasts at most two minutes. (The pill effect is fixed at two minutes, but he can replace one pill effect by taking another pill, which resets the clock.) He can take one pill on top of another (that is, change from one super form to another), but the only way to return to base form is let the clock run out. When he does return to normal form, he's wiped out (again unspecified, but probably putting him at 0 STUN and 0 END is about right). Taking a pill is restrainable but requires no roll; shifting froms does take a full turn (IIRC) during which time he's DCV 0, so he almost never does this in combat.

I'm curious how people would build a pool for shapeshifting. Would you make it 0 phase to shift? Would it have a roll? What sorts of limitations would you put on it? Inquiring Minds Want to Know ;)

It would only affect one body part, have a variable advantage, extra time (one turn) and I would totally rule the Adult Film Industry.

Sometimes you'll want to look outside of a VPP... I only have a sketchy idea on how to write up Element' date=' but you can link Shapeshift to a set of Multipower frameworks, and limit each through a Limited Disad to the shape taken.[/quote']

Yup ... I know ECs and MPs can be used ... just curious how people would build a shapeshifter with VPPs. I've always imagned characters like Chameleon/Chameleon Boy (Legion) & Shapeshifter (Elementals) having something more dynamic like a VPP. Any thoughts?

I'm curious how people would build a pool for shapeshifting. Would you make it 0 phase to shift? Would it have a roll? What sorts of limitations would you put on it? Inquiring Minds Want to Know ;)

It depends on the character. If the character has a great deal of control, it can be 0 phase and have no roll. If they have less control it could require a full phase(or more) and a skill roll(based on CON in my campaign). I've also put limits like "must resume base form before shifting"(-1/2) or "must shift at least half the pool"(-1/2) to represent the character's control. In the above cases, they can shift from their base form to something, but they aren't good at modifying the new form. Other possibilities: Side Effect on the shift roll(I even put NND Killing Attack Side Effect on one defined as "that bone wasn't supposed to go there").

Here is the shapeshifting power build I used for a past character named Jinn. His primary power was the ability to shapechange into anything that would fit into our 350 pt. campaign.

"Shapeshifting" Variable Power Pool

Pool Cost: 70 pts.

Control Cost: 35 pts., Zero Phase Action (+1), No Skill Roll Required (+1), One Type of Power: Multiform Only (-1/2)

Total Real Cost = 70 + 70 = 140 pts.