Need a new game

McCoy

Feeling nostalgic, went to load Dungeon Hack, and discovered that my computer does not have a drive for 3.5 inch floppies. So went to another computer, loaded the floppies onto a flash drive, still can't get it to load.

So I might dedicate a DOS machine to the game, or I could go for something more modern.

Can anyone recomend anything D&D based that will run on windows, can be played by a single player, alows you to build characters from stats up, and, very important, does not require you be on-line to play? Something where you can control one character, not an army.

Thanking everyone in advance for your input.

Re: Need a new game

two ideas, neither of which are exactly what your looking for, but you might consider looking at

Neverwinter Nights, 3rd ed based, single player or online, NWN 2 is 3.5 based, but really requires a top end system to run properly.

Diablo/Diablo 2, sorta skill based, single player, not quite D&D, but if you just want to wail on things and make big explosions... its still a personal favorite, and its playable off or online. it also can be found fairly cheap

I've enjoyed Dungeon Seige. You start with a basic character, and can build him up, based on how you use him (spells, archery, hand weapons). You can also recruit other NPC's, and you can build them up however you use them also. You follow the linear story, but there are things outside the course you follow that are interesting to find.

Feeling nostalgic' date=' went to load [i']Dungeon Hack[/i], and discovered that my computer does not have a drive for 3.5 inch floppies. So went to another computer, loaded the floppies onto a flash drive, still can't get it to load.

So I might dedicate a DOS machine to the game, or I could go for something more modern.

Can anyone recomend anything D&D based that will run on windows, can be played by a single player, alows you to build characters from stats up, and, very important, does not require you be on-line to play? Something where you can control one character, not an army.

Thanking everyone in advance for your input.

For pure hacking and slashing, with some minimal RP if you choose to engage in it, I'd recommend Temple of Elemental Evil, using the 1&2 Patch plus the patch snf mods from the Circle of Eight. It's a very faithful implementation of the 3.5 rules (the most faithful available), and it's much less buggy post-patches than most games offering comparable content. Great implementation of the combat and spell systems.

For AD&D goodness with more of a Role Playing element, I'd recommend Baldur's Gate 1&2 fully patched with Baldurdash and using the BGTuTu mod to fuse them into a single continuous game. Add in the NPC dialog and romance mods from the Gibberling's Three forums and Pocket Plane Group and you have an incredible 300+ hours of gaming in front of you. Using the auto-pause feature you can make the game semi-turn based.

I've wasted huge amounts of time on all of the above, and contributed content.

Feeling nostalgic' date=' went to load [i']Dungeon Hack[/i], and discovered that my computer does not have a drive for 3.5 inch floppies. So went to another computer, loaded the floppies onto a flash drive, still can't get it to load.

Have you tried looking for software that can provide a virtual floppy drive?

Something where you can control one character' date=' not an army.[/quote']

How about somewhere in between? 4-6 characters?

For pure hacking and slashing' date=' with some minimal RP if you choose to engage in it, I'd recommend Temple of Elemental Evil, using the 1&2 Patch plus the patch snf mods from the Circle of Eight. It's a very faithful implementation of the 3.5 rules (the most faithful available), and it's much less buggy post-patches than most games offering comparable content. Great implementation of the combat and spell systems.

For AD&D goodness with more of a Role Playing element, I'd recommend Baldur's Gate 1&2 fully patched with Baldurdash and using the BGTuTu mod to fuse them into a single continuous game. Add in the NPC dialog and romance mods from the Gibberling's Three forums and Pocket Plane Group and you have an incredible 300+ hours of gaming in front of you. Using the auto-pause feature you can make the game semi-turn based.

I've wasted huge amounts of time on all of the above, and contributed content.

What is this you speak of? I saw it in another thread, but can't fathom what you're saying. I'm certianly intrigued, though.

What is this you speak of? I saw it in another thread' date=' but can't fathom what you're saying. I'm certianly intrigued, though.[/quote']

The Temple of Elemental Evil CRPG is based on the old school ToEE module and uses the D&D 3.5 rules set. It was buggy as hell when it first came out, but patch 1&2 plus the Circle of Eight fan made mod pack together fix almost all of the noticeable bugs (with three areas that still need work). It's a very faithful reproduction, which means that it's roleplay light and Hack&Slash heavy. Great for wasting an hour or three a night, easy enough to complete in 60 hours or less. You can find it on Amazon used and dirt cheap.

Baldur's Gate 1&2 are classic AD&D modules. They use their own not very faithful variation on the AD&D 2ndEd engine, and feature some entertaining writing and voice acting, including work from Linda Carter and David Warner. Fans have contributed huge amounts of high quality content over the years, the best of which includes BGTuTu (which lets you play BG1 using the BG2 engine), the NPC Dialog and Romance packs for BG1 (which greatly expands on the amount of dialog you can share with other party members in BG1 and adds a fair number of quests), and the various custom NPCs (many with additional voice acting and quests). The bugs are almost all squashed at this stage. The best fan communities to start with are the Gibberlings Three Forums and the Pocket Plane Group. You can get both games dirt cheap through Amazon.

I tried the original Baldurs Gate' date=' and found the movement system with the little circles to be beyond annoying for my play style. so didnt get far at all with it, for me it was just a royal PITA.[/quote']

Nothing works for everyone. I couldn't deal with Freedom Force, even though I liked the concept.

If you can successfully install the files from the flash drive, you might want to try the DOSBox emulator. It can probably run Dungeon Hack - It runs the various gold box games, unlimited adventures, and Eye of the Beholder 1 & 2 (as well as Morrowind and Daggerfall) well enough.

Have you tried looking for software that can provide a virtual floppy drive?

How about somewhere in between? 4-6 characters?

If you can successfully install the files from the flash drive' date=' you might want to try the DOSBox emulator. It can probably run Dungeon Hack - It runs the various gold box games, unlimited adventures, and Eye of the Beholder 1 & 2 (as well as Morrowind and Daggerfall) well enough.[/quote']

Guess I should have asked for help loading Dungeon Hack to run on XP. I get the DOS prompt open, then nothing I do seems to have any effect.

Install From: K:\HACK

Install To : C:\HACK

Install Game

Abort Installation

The curser is stuck in the top line, tab, space, enter, y/n, mouse clicks or keyboard does nothing.

Any suggestions?

ANGBAND.

what?

OH is correct in so far as the current crop of PC hackers; I spend most of my time on my consoles, so my recommendations are nigh useless, although I can give you more RPGs than you could play in a month (nay, maybe a year with real time figured in) I'm console driven. While I may get Dungeon Seige or TToEE I'm not ... keen on it at the moment. I prefer to keep my PC for board lording and work.

Guess I should have asked for help loading Dungeon Hack to run on XP. I get the DOS prompt open, then nothing I do seems to have any effect.

The curser is stuck in the top line, tab, space, enter, y/n, mouse clicks or keyboard does nothing.

Any suggestions?

Good heavens. I haven't dillied around in DOS I don't know how long. Yeargh. Well, the key question is do you have an .EXE file? Are you telling it to do something it's capable of doing?

Good heavens. I haven't dillied around in DOS I don't know how long. Yeargh. Well' date=' the key question is do you have an .EXE file? Are you telling it to do something it's capable of doing?[/quote']

Yes, the program I'm trying to run from the flash drive is Install.exe.

Yes' date=' the program I'm trying to run from the flash drive[/quote']

Maybe the old program is trying to access the files it needs with its own device driver, instead of going through the DOS subsystem? Try copying all the files to a directory on your hard drive, in case it can't handle USB.

May also need a slight rewrite of the exe file' date=' as it may be programed to look for disk configs ... just a thought[/quote']

:ugly:

Without the source code, that'd practically entail a reverse-engineering of the compiled executable.

Ah, classic D&D... may I reccomend the classic Pools of Radiance and whatnot? I still have a fondness for the orignal Neverwinter Nights Gold Box, orignally on AOL. (You can find the Neverwinter Nights Ressurection for the newer NWN, although they may be working on a NWN2 version...)

Maybe the old program is trying to access the files it needs with its own device driver' date=' instead of going through the DOS subsystem? Try copying all the files to a directory on your hard drive, in case it can't handle USB.[/quote']

Copied all files to the C:\ drive, ran install.exe, got the DOS prompt of death again.

If you can successfully install the files from the flash drive' date=' you might want to try the DOSBox emulator. It can probably run Dungeon Hack - It runs the various gold box games, unlimited adventures, and Eye of the Beholder 1 & 2 (as well as Morrowind and Daggerfall) well enough.[/quote']

That did it. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!