The Godzilla Scenario

Blue

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: The Godzilla Scenario

By anime-level I was referring to the genre breakdown in Ninja Hero (i.e.: Real World' date=' Cinematic, Wuxia, Video Game, Anime).[/quote']
A-yup.

I can imagine Gally from Battle Angel zipping up his spine and tunneling into his brain through his eye.

And most of the major characters from Dragonball Z could take him out with their fists.
Yeah... none of these statements invalidate my opinion of anime. :straight: :shrug:

Back on topic:

Blue, using the monster as a baby/younger form was great for a couple of primary reasons. First, it lets you as the GM find the weak spots in so that you can tweak it while keeping the monster with the theme you want. Secondly, it can build some tension or anxiety in the players and PCs about what the "mother" figure out there is like. :thumbup: Good job.

I take it you haven't seen Godzilla: Final Wars then?
Nope. And while I happen to have all the Godzilla movies Netflix offers in my queue in the 300s, since it's derailing the topic, I don't care to discuss it here (and really, not anywhere right now).

Nope. And while I happen to have all the Godzilla movies Netflix offers in my queue in the 300s' date=' since it's derailing the topic, I don't care to discuss it here (and really, not anywhere right now).[/quote']

Actually, Final Wars isn't a derail. That movie gives us a five man (three men, two women) squad of virtual superhumans who's job is to battle kaiju and similar threats. And they manage to rather effectively destroy a crustacean kaiju with man-portable weapons. Granted, it's hard to say how they'd fare against Godzilla himself, but they are shown to be highly effective fighters against lesser foes.

Just food for thought when considering just such a scenario.

Actually' date=' [i']Final Wars[/i] isn't a derail. That movie gives us a five man (three men, two women) squad of virtual superhumans who's job is to battle kaiju and similar threats. And they manage to rather effectively destroy a crustacean kaiju with man-portable weapons. Granted, it's hard to say how they'd fare against Godzilla himself, but they are shown to be highly effective fighters against lesser foes.

Just food for thought when considering just such a scenario.

Also note that their leader, after a power upgrade, was able to boost Godzilla's powers enough to let him defeat King Ghidorah! For indeed, what force can stand against the united power of Superhero and Daikaiju?

Well... the American Godzilla had the benefits of roughly 40+ years of SFX improvements.

I think the American Godzilla movie suffered from the same problems many recent 'homage" movies did. They were ok movies on their own but they were trying to live up to legends with very established conventions and feels, not to mention healthy fanbases. If they'd been named something else and presented as original films MAYBE with an inspired by label it they could have been recieved better.

I did get a chuckle out of the thinly veiled reference to the American Godzilla in one of the more recent Japanese films though. :)

Very true' date=' and the point on which the Broderick film most failed. Gojira, in the original film, isn't just a big monster. Symbolically, he is the sins of Man come back to haunt him, and is defeated not with weapons, but with honour, courage, and self-sacrifice. [/quote']

Godzilla was also, in many ways, a stand in for the US during World War 2. Not to say it was a propaganda film or anything of the sort but that was definitely part of the subtext many of the films.

I did get a chuckle out of the thinly veiled reference to the American Godzilla in one of the more recent Japanese films though. :)

Godzilla was also, in many ways, a stand in for the US during World War 2. Not to say it was a propaganda film or anything of the sort but that was definitely part of the subtext many of the films.

Gojira/Godzilla specifically symbolized the atomic bomb. I've heard it said his footsteps were the sound of bombs impacting, his roar and air raid siren, and his atomic breath... well, that's obvious. The opening scene of Gojira also represents the fate of the Jpaanese fishing vessel Lucky Dragon which was hit with fallout from a US bomb test in the Pacific.

Gojira/Godzilla specifically symbolized the atomic bomb. I've heard it said his footsteps were the sound of bombs impacting' date=' his roar and air raid siren, and his atomic breath... well, that's obvious. The opening scene of Gojira also represents the fate of the Jpaanese fishing vessel [i']Lucky Dragon[/i] which was hit with fallout from a US bomb test in the Pacific.

The original film has extended sequences in hospitals with women and children dying from radiation sickness just from having been near during Gojira's rampage. The parallel was very strong, though later films became pure kids fare.

Gojira/Godzilla specifically symbolized the atomic bomb. I've heard it said his footsteps were the sound of bombs impacting' date=' his roar and air raid siren, and his atomic breath... well, that's obvious. The opening scene of Gojira also represents the fate of the Jpaanese fishing vessel [i']Lucky Dragon[/i] which was hit with fallout from a US bomb test in the Pacific.

I think we're largely saying the same thing; the scenario and themes of the movie were also symbolic of the war overall, except of course for the conclusion. Godzilla/Gojira was the overwhelming powerful enemy eventually overcome by strength, honor and sacrifice some of the hallmarks of Japanese culture. Some view the creature as veiled stand in the US in a re-creation of World War 2 with a slightly different ending.

I think we're largely saying the same thing; the scenario and themes of the movie were also symbolic of the war overall' date=' except of course for the conclusion. Godzilla/Gojira was the overwhelming powerful enemy eventually overcome by strength, honor and sacrifice some of the hallmarks of Japanese culture. Some view the creature as veiled stand in the US in a recreation of World War 2 with a slightly different ending.[/quote']

True, although the booklet with the special DVD release I just bought states Godzilla was also meant to symbolize not only the atomic bombs that hit Japan (witness the shots of Tokyo after his rampage), but also unchecked nuclear aggression in general.

Other giant monster movies tended to focus more on "man messing with nature" themes or a more generalized themes of "when science goes to far." Others (i.e. later movies) simply are smash fests in which you root for the monster simply because he's busting up a model landscape.

True, although the booklet with the special DVD release I just bought states Godzilla was also meant to symbolize not only the atomic bombs that hit Japan (witness the shots of Tokyo after his rampage), but also unchecked nuclear aggression in general.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say there was a single purpose or theme behind the creature or the film but that what I was talking about was one of them and that how films are interpreted changes over time.

Other giant monster movies tended to focus more on "man messing with nature" themes or a more generalized themes of "when science goes to far." Others (i.e. later movies) simply are smash fests in which you root for the monster simply because he's busting up a model landscape.

Anti war and ecological themes seem to be prevelant in a lot of Japanese entertainment, particularly sci fi and fantasy.

Anti war and ecological themes seem to be prevelant in a lot of Japanese entertainment' date=' particularly sci fi and fantasy.[/quote']

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster. With that wonderful Japanese attempt at 60's psychodelic TV show making (zoom in-zoom out-zoom in-zoom out...) and the English language song "We've got to save the Earth". :) It managed to combine both subjects into one magnificent "man in rubber suit destroys styrofoam city" flic.

Meanwhile, back at the mentalists. Godzilla has rather a large brain. I mean physically it's enormous. And, it's active. Wouldn't a mentalist be rather like a 1 year old baby trying to crawl across a superhighway in early morning rush hour? There's a lot going on in that thing, concious or not, the synaptic traffic must be enormous. Got to be worth BIG mental defenses as the mentalist tries to find the motor control offswift or attempts to inject a command into the largest distributed array of neurons they've ever encountered.

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster. With that wonderful Japanese attempt at 60's psychodelic TV show making (zoom in-zoom out-zoom in-zoom out...) and the English language song "We've got to save the Earth". :) It managed to combine both subjects into one magnificent "man in rubber suit destroys styrofoam city" flic.

Oh man. I actually saw that one in the theatre as a kid!