The Godzilla Scenario

Blue

Since I've been tapped to run my Champions game (in lieu of a proposed Call of Cthulhu game), I've been mulling over a few things I'd like to do. One is probably the comedic "Let's go to the Maul" from Champions Battlegrounds (Since I ran Scenario #1 when I first started the campaign years ago). Another is Shades of Black (I've even made all the villain minis for this).

But the One I've always wanted to do is the classic "Monster on the beach front" scenario. A Godzilla like reptile rising from the waves and targeting the busy coastline and harbor.

I've never run a creature of this size. It will likely be based on the one form the Hero System Bestiary, with some probably modifications.

Does anyone have any suggestions for running such a scenario? I'm probably going to have to give him a certain amount of mental defense because of one character's mental entangle, else the scenario ends immediately. I just want to make sure that everyone has fun, and that it all resembles the classic monster-bashes of lore.

Thanks for suggestions.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: The Godzilla Scenario

I considered that, but I didn't build in something like that when we made the character which makes it a retcon that only hurts that one charcter. And comic stories and retcons don't mix ;)

On that point, I think there may be a field of some sort protecting the beast, set up by whatever scientist called if forth from the sea.

A few thoughts, having run these and as a fan of giant monsters:

Dark Option: Check out the original Gojira, the Japanese version. You don't even see Gojira directly for the first 1/3 or so of the movie. Ships vanish, small communities are destroyed, innocent people die. Just being in the same area as Gojira's breath means a slow death by radiation. Hospitals are overwhelmed, filled to overflowing with the poisoned and the dying. Gojira is absolutely terrifying.

If you want this to be frightening and memorable, have the Heroes called in after the first attacks, with thousands already dead or dying. let them see the stakes, and then set your Godzilla analog on the path to a major population center.

Mechanics: Note that the Bestiary Godzilla is kind of a wuss compared to a full group of 350 point Supers using the Teamwork skill. Don't be afraid to layer on the Damage Reduction, pump up the CON, PD and ED, add more KB resistance, and do everything you need to make this a memorable fight. also, make sure his attacks are doing enough DC to scare the heroes. They should feel like they accomplished something by the time they take him out.

There's a digital hero article on Giant Monsters that has some quite good Superhero level Giant Monster write ups. You might want to ask around for the exact issue number (I can't remember right now).

On that point, I think there may be a field of some sort protecting the beast, set up by whatever scientist called if forth from the sea.

Hm.... scientist called it from the sea eh? Then perhaps he installed some sort of device in its head that allows him to dominate its primitive brain so that he can transmit his glorious commands to it!

Then, Mental PC has to engange in a struggle for control of the creature's mind. If he has an EXCEPTIONAL roll, he might pull something off...

However... if they manage to knock off the antenna/helmet/rip out the device/ block the signal.... the creature is no longer affected by the scientist's signals?

Hm.... scientist called it from the sea eh? Then perhaps he installed some sort of device in its head that allows him to dominate its primitive brain so that he can transmit his glorious commands to it!

Then, Mental PC has to engange in a struggle for control of the creature's mind. If he has an EXCEPTIONAL roll, he might pull something off...

However... if they manage to knock off the antenna/helmet/rip out the device/ block the signal.... the creature is no longer affected by the scientist's signals?

Call it a Neural Grepper!

give the moster

Mindless atomic rage! +20 ego: Only for defense and breakout rolls (-1/4)

No one on the team has mind control v. animal class of minds, so I'm not worried about M/C. It's just that one power (I don't think the "Based on Ego" advantage mentions having to select a class of minds, so we never did).

RE: DH' date=' I'll have to see if I can narrow down the issue. Thanks.[/quote']

DH#32: Murder on Monster Island. Details and writeups of the CU's take on Monster Island, including 5 kaiju, facilities, staff, and an adventure.

DH#37: Return to Monster Island. 6 more kaiju.

And that means that the monster goes from a coordinated, single minded beast after a specific goal (say, eating Fort Knox or whatever) to a rampaging mindless beast busting up everything in it's path in the heart of downtown London/Tokyo/New York.

And of course now that the link between helmet and monster has been severed (or the helmet was broken in the fall), there's no way for them to control the monster again! Wheee!

I once considered having Godzilla run amok in Pittsburgh, maybe knocking down Heinz Field and PNC Park, among other places. This would, hopefully, force the Sports and Exibition Authority to let private enterprise build, own, and a new multipurpose stadium for both teams.

Nothing personal DT. I can't even think of the last time I saw Zorn around.

I'm liking one of the beasties from DH#32.

Problem is my players are trying to kill me. First we were running the last session of another game this week then i'd take over in two weeks. Then that player said, "No, last week was the last session. We're doing yours this week", which was a shock to everyone except that GM.

Now another player has backed out. I'm not certain I can run a monster scenario against 4 heroes, one of whom has never played and has yet to submit his character or an IDEA for one, with 3 days left until the game. I'm guessing my game is canceled, but we'll see.

Mechanics: Note that the Bestiary Godzilla is kind of a wuss compared to a full group of 350 point Supers using the Teamwork skill. Don't be afraid to layer on the Damage Reduction' date=' pump up the CON, PD and ED, add more KB resistance, and do everything you need to make this a memorable fight. also, make sure his attacks are doing enough DC to scare the heroes. They should feel like they accomplished something by the time they take him out.[/quote']

This would be my advice too. As he is alone, give him enough of every defense that no single player will take him down too easily, but not so much that anyone's attacks are useless. Full Damage Reduction and extra CON will keep the players from chain-stunning him with Coordinated Attacks and force them to pace themselves else they run out of END before he falls.

If they start to overwhelm him too quickly (due some lucky rolls or brilliant tactics), use the environment to put some of the team on the defensive (i.e. have him attack a building if any of the characters have psych lims involving helping those in need or a boat one of the player's DNPCs happens to be on, ect.).

Recommended tactics for your monster:

1) Pull spitting high-tension wires down.

2) Look in on screaming people in a subway train.

3) Pick up a bus and throw it back down.

4) Wade through buildings to the center of town.

Oh no...

Seriously, the first thing I ever do when constructing a kaiju is to give it 75% damage reduction (resistant) to anything that isn't area effect.

Your mega-beam may do a real number on something with the body mass of a human, but what do you expect to accomplish against something with the body mass of a small mountain?

For further definition, you could stage it, so you get 25% damage reduction vs anything that isn't area effect at all, plus 25% more if it's only area effect 1 hex or explosion and 25% if it's area effect but not megascale.

Something like that is a great start to making a monstrousity that everyone can affect (to an extent) but will take a monstrous (^_^) amount of punishment to stop/drive off/defeat.

Here are a couple of nasty options for Godzilla scenarios (including titles of some movies which used these options):

(1) Poisonous Body/Blood (The Beast from 20 000 Fathoms / The Giant Behemoth):Something about the creature's body means even injuring the beast can be dangerous.In The Beast from 20 000 Fathoms the creature's blood was contaminated by an ancient,lethal disease & The Giant Behemoth was contaminated by lethal levels of radiation.

(2) Regrown Body (Reptilicus / War of the Gargantuas):the creature can regrow it's body from any remaining portion .Worse yet,any part of it's body that is separated from the rest will eventually grow into another full-sized monster.

Here are a couple of nasty options for Godzilla scenarios (including titles of some movies which used these options):

(1) Poisonous Body/Blood (The Beast from 20 000 Fathoms / The Giant Behemoth):Something about the creature's body means even injuring the beast can be dangerous.In The Beast from 20 000 Fathoms the creature's blood was contaminated by an ancient,lethal disease & The Giant Behemoth was contaminated by lethal levels of radiation.

(2) Regrown Body (Reptilicus / War of the Gargantuas):the creature can regrow it's body from any remaining portion .Worse yet,any part of it's body that is separated from the rest will eventually grow into another full-sized monster.

The monster in The Giant Behemoth could also emit radioactivity in a more direct way...incinerating people....nasty.

Rob

Reptilicus would also have some sort of PRE bonus, Mental Paralysis, or Single effect Mind Control feild to go with its DF:

Really Lame Puppet: Causes uncontrollable laughter

*shudder*

Man, that film was BAD.