The Godzilla Scenario

Blue

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: The Godzilla Scenario

The main thing about the "Godzilla scenario" to remember is that in this genre...the monster is never stopped for very long....the mind control wears off...the monster breaks free of the pit trap....gets his second wind after a two on one kaiju beating etc. I'd be very reluctant to have any hero team actually defeat the monster....that goes against the genre. More likely they're holding it off/distracting it....or cleaning up the mess/saving innocents. Now...all this only applies if you really want a "Japanese giant movie monster" feel. American films are traditionally very different....with American might ALWAYS winning in the end.

Rob

Don't think these players have strength right now to take down the big boy. But come the right day, I think I'll throw a single monser at them as a precursor to running an entire monster island adventure (where they realize that was the "baby" not the Mom.)

Don't think these players have strength right now to take down the big boy. But come the right day' date=' I think I'll throw a single monser at them as a precursor to running an entire monster island adventure (where they realize that was the "baby" not the Mom.)[/quote']

Well....for all its faults....the Marvel comic book adaptation did a pretty good job of showing supers fight a kaiju class threat. They COULD hurt him....but nothing they did seem to permanently put him down.

Rob

Sounds like you could use the reduced player field to do a foreshadowing adventure for the big monster rumble..

Maby - Ocean Liner sends out a distress signal - It's hit something that's hulled it and it's going down - and when it hit, half the Lifeboats broke free of their mooring into the water.

Double complicate the plot - U.S. Secret Service finally captured a rogue psyker. He's easily handled by the two top agents because of the sedatives they administer every four hours or so, but one agent was swept overboard on the initial bang-up, and the other hit his head so hard he can't remember his own name, let alone why this skinny drugged out dude is helping him get onto the lifeboats..And the drugs are starting to wear off, too..

Later when they investigate, they find a twelve foot long tooth lodged in the damaged hull...

-CraterMaker

Incidentally, the most recent Godzilla film (Godzilla 2005?) had some very fun Superhero versus Giant Monster moments, complete with a final team up of Godzilla and the most powerful of the Supers versus King Gidorah! :)

Fun film.

You mean Godzilla: Final Wars?

Re: mental powers vs. giant monster

This could get complicated, but I bet it would be amusing to build and for the players to figure out: multiple brains. Like the old stories about the brontosaurus (back when they still called them brontosaurus), which supposedly had a secondary "brain" down by it's tail (IIRC); certainly, a critter the size of Godzilla could have two or more of these scattered about its physique. Each would have to be attacked seperately for mental powers to have their proper effect. In effect, this gives the critter a good 75% reduction against mental powers that aren't able to affect multiple targets (autofire or area effect or multiple mentalists).

Of course, if you really wanted to comlpicate things, you could have each "brain" be in control of different things, so that controlling the brain at the base of the tail would allow you to control the critter's legs and tail, but not its arms or breath.

And, of course, there's always the multi-headed monster (Monster ZERO!!!!!!). Stick THAT in your pipe and smoke it, mister mentalist!

This whole scenario would put the test to my long-standing rule of thumb: PCs can always bring down one of *anything.* I've seen it happen too often.

• 2 weeks later...

Remember also that in the original Gojira, the monster wasn't so much presented as a lizard grown to giant size by radiation as some ancient ocean spirit that was awakened by nukes and started wreaking destruction when pissed off. The English language cut treated it as a more straightforward natural monster. That might serve as a basis for giving reasonably high mental defenses, or even some very nasty surprises to a mentalist who tries a psychic attack. Put the god back in Godzilla, so to speak.

"Mentat, were you able to make contact with the monster's mind and knock it out?"

"ダイス、私の先祖の故国の妨害者! RRRRRAAAAARRRRGHHHHH!!!"

"Oh $&!#!":eek:

Very true, and the point on which the Broderick film most failed. Gojira, in the original film, isn't just a big monster. Symbolically, he is the sins of Man come back to haunt him, and is defeated not with weapons, but with honour, courage, and self-sacrifice. Though I will give the American version for one thing: Visually, their Godzilla is vastly superior to the original. He's fast, agile, and scary. Now if the script had received the same amount of care and attention, the film could have been truly classic. As it is, though... well, there's a reason it's been nicknamed GINO: Godzilla In Name Only.

Very true' date=' and the point on which the Broderick film most failed. Gojira, in the original film, isn't just a big monster. Symbolically, he is the sins of Man come back to haunt him, and is defeated not with weapons, but with honour, courage, and self-sacrifice. Though I will give the American version for one thing: Visually, their Godzilla is vastly superior to the original. He's fast, agile, and scary. Now if the script had received the same amount of care and attention, the film could have been truly classic. As it is, though... well, there's a reason it's been nicknamed GINO: Godzilla In Name Only.[/quote']

Well... the American Godzilla had the benefits of roughly 40+ years of SFX improvements.

The biggest disappointment for me in the American Godz film was that GINO ("Godzilla In Name Only") didn't seem very scary to me. Possibly in part because he spent so much time running away and hiding. Like they said in Godzilla 2000, "When Godzilla is attacked he doesn't retreat. He advances."

He also lost something in visual impressiveness by walking and running bent over, like a giant Jurassic Park T-Rex. If there's one thing Godzilla has to be, it's tall.

I was a player in a game where the Godzilla homage came to attack New York. It was a 3 SPD, but had 50 or 75% Damage Reduction (Resistant) and have a huge amount of Running to reflect its size (maybe +1" per point of Growth?). It came from the ocean and we (three or four of us) didn't so much defeat it as we did drive it off.

As for the mentalist threat, what's wrong with giving a 100' tall semi-sentient monster a 20+ EGO?

For scenarios, I like the idea of a large ship (cruise liner?) being damaged or attacked and the PCs have to fly out there and rescue the day. This can put them in an unusual situation for a few reasons: 1) If the mentalist can't fly, he/she has to be somewhere on top where he can constantly see the monster, 2) Those that can fly probably will and that means rolling 1d6 for KB instead of 2d6. One power EB and away they go! (Even if not hurt by the KB, a 20d6 EB will knock you fairly far. 3) Bricks who can't fly have to think of a new strategy. Sure, they could just start throwing chairs and tables at the monster, but will they pay for it when they get to shore?

Just my initial thoughts.

We discussed the reverse of this scenario at the Firefly games forums some time ago. We were wondering if supers could be brought into a Monster Island game.

The end result tended to be *squash*. ;)

Regarding the multi brain idea, there actually was a movie where it was pointed out that Godzilla had two brains. One in the head and one in the lower abdomen I think it was. Sorry can't remember the movie title right now.

Methinks Martial Artists would be bored off their keisters in this scenario, assuming they're not into whacking giant ankles.

Or they could be given something else to do, like infiltrate the Mad Monster Maker's base to find the turn-off switch, or be given a Batplane.

Methinks Martial Artists would be bored off their keisters in this scenario' date=' assuming they're not into whacking giant ankles.[/quote']

Depends on the martial artist. I can think of a few (anime-level granted) that could slug it out with the big G.

I ran scenario 1 this weekend in my godzilla-type scheme. This was the sudden and unexplained appearance of a reptilian creature off of the coast of the campaign city. Characters were dispatched to interfere and keep him from getting very far ashore, if at all.

The basis was Zorgatha from the Monster island adventure in Digital Hero (32 I think) scaled down. Because ultimately biologists tell the team that he was... a young monster! Likely somewhere out there is the mother. This one seems to have developed gills to some extent, to allow it to travel the water more efficiently.

I've got some sea-going adventures coming in the future. Presumably they will eventually find the source.

As for the Martial Artist "being bored", he did a few points with his martial move-throughs which helped, but it was a character with a CvK and a "phaser" homage who for the first time dialed it up to Kill that actually did some damage, though obviously didn't come close to killing it (The creature took no body in any attack). The mentalist got in some points since I purposely left off the Mental Defense (Something that will not be the case on full grown ones).

I don't think anyone was bored in that scenario. And I think the MA was just glad to not be stepped on. They should all be glad he never got around to breathing on them :eg:

Next game they take him out to sea to a giant holding pen at Project Sea Life. (Yes, the one from the early edition champions Scourge of the Deep).

Depends on the martial artist. I can think of a few (anime-level granted) that could slug it out with the big G.

The main plot thread/backstory of Naruto, for example, is based around martial artists defeating and controlling kaiju. On occasion, they even summon their own, like giant pokemon...