Fighting while seated on a motorcycle

GrooveD70

I have a PC in my game that fights while riding a motorcycle. I have several hero books but I'm having trouble finding where it describes how this affects his DCV and what martial manuevers he can perform while riding. Can he use his Dirty Infighting martial dodge? Should he use the vehicles DCV even though the opponent is targeting his body? We don't use hit location, but would he get any DEF from the bike? I have the Ultimate Vehicle but I am having trouble find these issues that seem unique to Motorcycles. Any help would be appreciated. Thanx!

Re: Fighting while seated on a motorcycle

Here is the general gist of the basic vehicle rules.

He has to take a half-Phase action each phase in which he acts to control the motorcycle. His DCV is based on his DEX or the vehicle's whichever is lowest. If the vehicle is large enough to suffer a DCV penalty then that applies as well. Each Phase the driver must make a Combat Driving Roll or else his (and the vehicle's) DCV is halved. Anyone who fires a ranged weapon from a moving vehicle generally suffers a -2 OCV penalty, the driver suffers a further -1 OCV since he is having to watch the road and can't take as much time to aim.

Melee combat, like riding by and kicking someone, does not suffer such OCV penalties.

If the SPD of the vehicle is greater than the driver then the vehicle either holds and waits for the driver to control it or the driver can choose to move in a straight line at 1/2 DCV when the vehicle gets a Phase that he doesn't. If the operator has a higher SPD than the vehicle then the operator can only drive the vehicle during its phases.

He could gain some DEF from the motorcycle if attacked from the front and perhaps the rear depending on how it's built (sturdy windshield, high-backed seat, etc.) but most motorcycles provide the occupant no protection. A hit on the motorcycle itself will generally not damage the occupant and a hit on the occupant will generally not damage the motorcycle. However any resulting crash will obviously affect both.

If you are looking in The Ultimate Vehicle then an example motorcycle is on page 52.

Step one, buy combat vehicle operations, it allows you to use your dcv (modified for vehicle modifiers) in combat. Pretty good for something agile like a motorcycle. Rather less useful for dirigibles.

Step two, buy your martial arts useable with motorcycle. Now in this case, it doesn't necessarily mean you're hitting people with your bike, as that can be brutal on the frame, but it means you're fully capable of delivering solid blows while riding your bike without getting knocked off the bike.

step three - profit!

Yeah I was going to suggest looking at fantasy hero for "mounted combat" and apling those mods...I'd likely penalize OCV a couple, but you can buy PSL's with mounted combat...so it's really a 3 point tax on using "Bike-fu"

I remember a old thread with a Bike-fu in it...I modified into Skater-fu for a skate punk ninja I was writing up....

P.S. any MA move with "full move" will be killer!

my character for an espionage playtest fought from a motocycle. His trick was to use a flexible weapon to avoid the nasty feedback from a solid hit.

If things get out of hand, remember that a wrench in the front spokes is a cheap and viscious antidote to motorcycle madness ^_^

my character for an espionage playtest fought from a motocycle. His trick was to use a flexible weapon to avoid the nasty feedback from a solid hit.

If things get out of hand, remember that a wrench in the front spokes is a cheap and viscious antidote to motorcycle madness ^_^

Now there is an interesting thought, how do you handle that "rules-wise"?

If things get out of hand' date=' remember that a wrench in the front spokes is a cheap and viscious antidote to motorcycle madness ^_^[/quote']

I've purposely stayed away from this one.

Being both a life-long rider and, before getting crippled, a former motorcycle dirt racer and drag racer, I knew I would have an extremely difficult time keeping separate "how it works" from "how it works in the game."

But I can't stop myself from taking a minute to mention that the 'stick in the forks' thing is impossible, except for the hand of fate, and the wrath of the Flash. ;)

But I can't stop myself from taking a minute to mention that the 'stick in the forks' thing is impossible, except for the hand of fate, and the wrath of the Flash. ;)

which, given that this is a RPG, means that it will be attempted almost immediately. ^_^

Step one, buy combat vehicle operations, it allows you to use your dcv (modified for vehicle modifiers) in combat. Pretty good for something agile like a motorcycle. Rather less useful for dirigibles.

Step two, buy your martial arts useable with motorcycle. Now in this case, it doesn't necessarily mean you're hitting people with your bike, as that can be brutal on the frame, but it means you're fully capable of delivering solid blows while riding your bike without getting knocked off the bike.

step three - profit!

Here is another idea, for a game where you buy vehicles with points.

Buy your motorcycle as a Bulky Foci on the running power. Then you don't need to worry about your DCV or what have you.

Here is another idea, for a game where you buy vehicles with points.

Buy your motorcycle as a Bulky Foci on the running power. Then you don't need to worry about your DCV or what have you.

That is definately within the rules but, as a GM, I would have trouble allowing a running focus to represent a motorcylce without some serious limitations...

That is definately within the rules but' date=' as a GM, I would have trouble allowing a running focus to represent a motorcylce without some serious limitations...[/quote']

IIRC I gave it a fuel based charge, OAF Bulky, Turn Mode, & limited terrain (-1/4)

The main idea for MY character was that I planned on mainly using it as a get from point a to point b. It proved to be a very simple solution that kept play fairly fast.

That is definately within the rules but' date=' as a GM, I would have trouble allowing a running focus to represent a motorcylce without some serious limitations...[/quote']

Can I ask why? Would you have the same problem if someone wanted to have a wrist band that gave them superspeed? I mean when you start "reasoning from effect" it seems to be an easy way to manage the effect the Original poster wants. I guess I'm just trying to pick your mind

From my experience, it works well, speeding up play vs the vehicle rules, not sayingyou could not use the vehicle rules, just I'm a big fan of HERO because of the fact you can do things in a number of different ways

IIRC I gave it a fuel based charge, OAF Bulky, Turn Mode, & limited terrain (-1/4)

The main idea for MY character was that I planned on mainly using it as a get from point a to point b. It proved to be a very simple solution that kept play fairly fast.

Yup that makes sense. I wouldn't like a Bike without a turn mode. Reducing it would be fine but, to me it needs the Turn mode to feel like a bike.