The Future hasn't been Written.....yet

TheRavenIs

Well a long lost project got reborn last night. My group is willing to play in a Plup style game.

Setting early 1932, the four PC's will be those 'men of mystery'. They will be those that can be the writers of a new future, all they need to do is act at the right time and place and the future will be changed.

Base: 125

Disad: 75

PD/ED 15 max

rPD/rED/ 8 max

DC's will range from 5 to 7

AP limit is 35

they can use any real world device for no cost.

I've had the idea for a long time, in this game the PC's are the Doc Savage, Tarzan, Flash Gordan, Dr. Occult, the Phantom, the Shadow of this reality, but they can and will be allowed to alter the future thru actions.

One C already created is a Dr. Occult type in that she is a female wizard.

One I know that will be done is a gun-toting x-lawman on an 'iron horse'.

The other two no idea yet.

Ok, I need some help here.

1. Timeline of real world from 1/1/1932 to present.

2. Any of your creative idea's that can help me make this fun for my PC's and myself.

3. Villians, Mooks, etc. Anything that can help me make this easier.

I thanks one and all that jump in and help......I like what you give me and I REP you as able.

Re: The Future hasn't been Written.....yet

I dont know about to the present, but there is a timeline in Pulp Hero for most of the prewar years to sometime in the forties.

If the campaign has creating an alternative history as a feature, I can only say that if the characters meddle in something famous there should be ramifications down the line.

On the other hand, a lot of the history is unknown to the characters so you're free to write whatever you feel is appropriate to fuel the game along.

I guess an example is the characters help the Flying Tigers in China in some decisive way, that might drive the Japanese out of the country faster.

CES

Wikipedia is a boon to this. I didn't have the foggiest about timeline details, but it's all right there at your fingertips. Also, the Pulp Hero Timeline is sweet. It covers details from all facets of the age.

I have a Pulp Game running on HeroCentral that allows the future to change. I don't make a big deal of it, though. Just create the stories and let them go. It will be interesting to see what occurs when the window of opportunity change squeaks open.

If you are looking for a timeline Mr. Long's super-great book Pulp Hero is a great resource. Also check out books from your local library about the 1930's. Please watch as many movies made from 1932 to 1940 as you can. Musicals, comidies, drama, meladrama, and gangster films will HELP you immensely in getting the "feel of the times". TMC (Tunner Classic Movies) and FMC (Fox Movie Channel) if you have cable are a geat source of these.

I almost remember an old Justice Society story. I think it was a Roy Thomas story. Per Degaton, the evil time traveller who set up events which threatened all of the US presidents up to Ronnie Reagan.

In real life, each of them from WW2 onward had a lucky escape from a major accident or illness. And the individual members of teh JSA managed to save these men, unaware that, in the post WW2 world, they were all going to become a future president of the USA. EXCEPT for the last story. Where Hourman arrived too late to save a young boy from being killed by a falling tree. So from that president on, the world was changed. As the story was written when Ronnie was ruler, the idea was that from that point on, the world was going down the wrong track.

Why not try something similar? Save the lives of certain people or fail. in either case it sets up certain preconditions and you can use these as set points to show that history, up to that certain point, is the same in this world as in the real one?

I've used this many times: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_timelines

As to villains and mooks, you can find some of my Pulp Hero characters, heroes and villains, here. Most of them are built to a higher DC scale than you're using, but they're easy to tone down.

Mike Surbrook's site is very good for this sort of thing as well.http://surbrook.devermore.net/index/

There's a copy of my Pulp to Supers timeline there.

Good luck with this.

I almost remember an old Justice Society story. I think it was a Roy Thomas story. Per Degaton, the evil time traveller who set up events which threatened all of the US presidents up to Ronnie Reagan.

I could be wrong, but you may be thinking of All Star Squadron Annual #3 where Ian Karkull tries to influence the future by gathering together a rogue's gallery of second-string supervillains (all of them great for use as pulp villains, however) to assassinate future presidents from their present day (Truman) to our present day (at the time, Regan).

It's actually one of my favorite Squadron stories, due in large part to a creepy shadow-form Karkull and his extra-creepy lair- a house made entirely of flesh.

Here's a pretty thorough synopsis of that issue-

http://www.dcindexes.com/database/story-details.php?storyid=6142

I'm setting my campaign in 1931, I have a few historical events that I know about down the line. But mainly I'm looking at this as a parallel world where lots of different things can happen, so I won't be sticking too closely to historical events.

For one I wanted it to be a bit like Crimson Skies in the fact that Zeppelins are a dominant force in the skies and are seen everywhere. But then in 1931 there were a good few number of them about.

I'm setting my campaign in 1931, I have a few historical events that I know about down the line. But mainly I'm looking at this as a parallel world where lots of different things can happen, so I won't be sticking too closely to historical events.

For one I wanted it to be a bit like Crimson Skies in the fact that Zeppelins are a dominant force in the skies and are seen everywhere. But then in 1931 there were a good few number of them about.

Well what I am doing is using the idea that that "Future haven't been written yet," is to remind the players that from the moment the game starts they can rewite what they as PC's do, that itself will shape the future.

Well what I am doing is using the idea that that "Future haven't been written yet' date='" is to remind the players that from the moment the game starts they can rewite what they as PC's do, that itself will shape the future.[/quote']

Yup, always important in a historical campaign, and a fun thing to make your central theme. If one of the PCs invents Super Blimps, let them dominate the skies. If a PC invents and markets working power armor in 1939, have the army place a big order. I play the "Technology doesn't change much on the surface" card in many campaigns, but it can be great fun going in the other direction.

One of my favorite campaigns (really four linked campaigns) had the players, as supernatural monsters, provoke the government into recruiting psychics. The players then played psychics from the new government agency trying to fight the monsters, and ending up traveling back in time to 1938, where they became America's secret weapons in WWII. Last leg of the campaign had the players in a Superhero setting that their own actions in WWII had created.

I miss the late 1980s. :)

That is extremely useful. I'd been using Wikipedia to find out the sort of technology, weaponry, transport and even historical events that happened around the timeline I'm setting my campaign in. It's a very useful tool for stuff like that other stuff I looked into was Golden Age comic ideas and storylines to try to get the feel right for my own plots.

Remember the mindset of the era you'er playing.

Many Golden Age ideas can be re-used, (why not, Shakespeare is still being ripped off) but your players need the mind set from thos ripped off adventures. They have to truly believe in the good-bad concept and that is difficult. They'll find that lots of modern ideas and mindsets get in the way.

If British super's had been around in the 1800's they would have truly believed in the Empire and the 'White Man's burden', with all it's attendent baggage. And, for that time, that's the correct mind set. Anything else is considered wierd, strange, possibly criminally lunatic.

The super's in America in the 50's really did crack down on communists and Senators were revered (check old Doris Day movies for that one) and not reviled.

So when you're writing your story plots, don't forget these things.