Real life drug effects in Hero terms?

Kaze9999

Re: Real life drug effects in Hero terms?

Dark Champions most likely has something, yes, but what you can for the most part do is just ask yourself, 'what does it do?'

LSD is a powerful hallucinogen; Mental Illusions sounds like a winner there. Other drugs are depressants, euphorics, and the like, most of which can be seen as 'Mind Control, One Emotion Only'. All of them should probably be built Based on Con, NND (appropriate Life Support), that sort of thing.

Sometimes you'll also have a lasting side effect; LSD, for example, hardwires your brain and essentially gives you the Phys Lim of 'Flashbacks'. The frequency and totality of them is dependent on how frequently you've taken the drug, of course.

Read up some on what the drug does, and bam ...

Agreed. I wouldn't look to a gaming book as a resource for real-life drugs. There's plenty of material out there already. If I ever needed to present a real life drug in game terms, I'd write it myself anyway.

One thing to keep in mind, many drugs affect different people in different ways. I've found it best to just wing it unless the effects of narcotics are playing a pivitol role in the campaign.

Dark Champions most likely has something, yes, but what you can for the most part do is just ask yourself, 'what does it do?'

LSD is a powerful hallucinogen; Mental Illusions sounds like a winner there. Other drugs are depressants, euphorics, and the like, most of which can be seen as 'Mind Control, One Emotion Only'. All of them should probably be built Based on Con, NND (appropriate Life Support), that sort of thing.

Sometimes you'll also have a lasting side effect; LSD, for example, hardwires your brain and essentially gives you the Phys Lim of 'Flashbacks'. The frequency and totality of them is dependent on how frequently you've taken the drug, of course.

Read up some on what the drug does, and bam ...

Aw, your sketch of a write up perfectly sums up my own problem. I did look up the drug, and find that when I do my own write ups I end up sidetracked into way too much detail, much more then necessary.

Your suggested write up for LSD would be fine considering we're just talking about a game here, but if I did the write up myself I'd be frustrated at not being able to reflect the stuff that I learned about it. The 'hardwiring' part for example is much less defined and much more complicated IRL.

Anyway, I if I'm going to do my own write ups, I'll just do the research and then make up my own drug with a made up name so that I won't obsess over everything that's not 'right' when I use it in a game.

For some reason, I have no trouble using published write ups that are at a level of detail and accuracy sufficient for an RPG.

I think that the old Eye for an Eye suplement (pre 5th Edition) has write-ups for a selection of drugs. I'll try to remember and have a look when I get home this evening.

Perfect, thanks! I found it on sale online and in near mint condition! Whether it has the drug write ups or not, it will be a fun pick up. Thanks again.

http://img234.imageshack.us/my.php?image=151708hc0.jpg