Designing Sword Schools

Savinien

Re: Designing Sword Schools

I don't know about Dwarves in general, but the Duervu Tuun of the Dwarf King Nogarrod are the elite heavy infantry on the front lines of every battle - Typically deployed in a line between one and three warriors deep, with clansmen w/ longspears (and lighter armor) ranked behind them.

They're outfitted with large shields and plate and chain, with peaked helms. They're weapon of choice is the pickax, tho somewhat larger and more ornamental than those used in mining. This pickax, called the Tur'Tuun, has three business ends - Beaked Axe and a curving Pick blade, and topped with a 4" spike.

As mentioned earlier, they are deployed in a line, with sheilds ready, and advance with half-moves prepared to recieve the charge. When recieving a charge, their first action is to multiple-attack Root and Shove. If the enemy is many ranks deep, you might wish to come up with rules to simulate the enemies front rank being crushed from their comrades shoving them forward onto a set shield wall (and the Duerva Tuun's subsequent Shove back.)

One use of the Duerva Tuun is to have them push an enemy down a tunnell or out a gate, while engineers set the tunnell to collapse. Once the engineers are done, the Duerva Tuun slowly retreat, and the tunnell is collapsed when they are clear.

The Duerva Tuun are methodical in their fighting, and fiercely stubborn. You won't see fancy moves from them - they advance on the enemy and cut them down, step by step, slowly pushing invaders out of their underground homes.

Martial Training of the Duerva Tuun:

4 Shove 1/2 phase +0/+0 +25 strength to shove

4 Root 1/2 phase +0/+0 +25 strenth to resist shove, block, abort

4 Fast Strike 1/2 ph +2/+0 Wpn +2 DC strike

4 Counterstrike 1/2 ph +2/+2 Wpn +2 DC strike, must follow block

1 Wpn Element Axes/picks/maces

2 WF Common Melee

2 KS Duerva Tuun War Chants

This is top of the head, so revisions,additions, and opinions are welcomed..

-CraterMaker

• 9 months later...

I am running a campaign called Age of Reason myself, although it is Georgianesque rather than Victorianesque. I did do some research on early modern swordfighting.

These might come in useful.

http://www.aemma.org/

http://www.thearma.org/

A few more thoughts.

In a Fantasy setting where the garde was used heavily it might be justifiable to have versions with sword breaker attachments, (basically a refinement of the spikes). A pair of these, plenty of muscle and some blocking and boxing moves would qualify as a martial art in itself. Particularly good against proper rapiers because being hexagonal they would be comparatively easy to grab with an armoured fist, so long as you can move quick enough to avoid getting that fist run through. Perhaps an art for orcs, ogres, dwarves and other brutal types.

I believe that there is a Dwarven Axe Mastery art in the Complete Martial Artist.

Also, don't quote me on this but I believe certain styles were associated with particular nationalities; although period also played a big part.

Fighting with sword and dagger is associated with the Italian styles I believe.

While an English swordsman developed a less showy and more practical art that did indeed involve wrestling moves and a less 'chivalrous' approach to what was fair and what wasn't.

The Spanish had a type of soldier called Rodeleros, (admittedly this was around the 16th to 17th century), who fought with longswords and bucklers.

Don't forget the various ways that pistols could be thrown into the mix by a military swordsman. Swords with hilt pistols for example. Also pistol bayonets, I have an NPC who fights with two pistols that have stiletto spikes attached to them, when she runs out of bullets she breaks out the martial arts. This is fantasy after all, style over sense!

Just remembered something someone told me once.

It's not especially relevant to sword schools but if you are going to design some Victorian martial arts you really should look at this.

http://ejmas.com/jnc/jncart_barton-wright_0200.htm

Is that legit? If it is, its the coolest thing Ive seen all day. Thanks for sharing.

I found this on the net after a friend mentioned it to me so I can't speak to its perfect historical accuracy.

However, there is a Wikipedia article which seems pretty convincing.

Barton-Wright is not mentioned in the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography site but his name did turn up in a google book search in a book that has clearly been sanctioned by them. He could well be too obscure a character to have warranted his own article although the DNB is very extensive.

More conclusively I have found a book http://www.lulu.com/content/138834

A forum.

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/Bartitsu_Forum/

And even a Hero Conversion.

http://www.philm.demon.co.uk/RPGs/Brttsu_H.htm

I'm pretty much as convinced of its authenticity as it is possible for someone trained as an academic historian can be without going through the primary sources/evidence myself.

One thing that I'd like to point out, even though I know almost nothing about martial arts (and by "almost nothing," what I really mean is "I've seen Enter the Dragon and I have access to Wikipedia") is the difference between a martial art and a school.

A school is a slight variation (slight within the context of all martial arts) in a martial art. For example, according to Wikipedia, Chung Do Kwan, Moo Duk Kwan, and Jidokwan are all "schools" of Taekwondo.

Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

So. What does this mean?

For me, I'll build a martial art (including a weapon-based fighting style) as a complete package deal (or a scaled package deal). Within this package deal, I'll include a "school" option, which represent different ideologies within the fighting style. This entire differentiation is modeled in HERO using a single ability. So, in a sword fighting style write-up, I might include three or four abilities, and then three or four extra abilities each tied to a "school," representing someone going to a new master and training in the subtle differences.

YMMV.

I do the same very frequently. The core structure of an MA is fairly well defined, and then there might be some offshoot varieties that add and / or drop a maneuver or two. This can also be supported by style vs mechanic changes...for instance school A and school B of the same Art...one favors a snap kick and the other a head butt, yet mechanically they might both be Fast Strikes (or whatever)...perhaps with high and low hit locations to represent point of origin. Same "MA" printed on the sheet, different look and feel.

I don't know about Dwarves in general, but the Duervu Tuun of the Dwarf King Nogarrod are the elite heavy infantry on the front lines of every battle - Typically deployed in a line between one and three warriors deep, with clansmen w/ longspears (and lighter armor) ranked behind them.

They're outfitted with large shields and plate and chain, with peaked helms. They're weapon of choice is the pickax, tho somewhat larger and more ornamental than those used in mining. This pickax, called the Tur'Tuun, has three business ends - Beaked Axe and a curving Pick blade, and topped with a 4" spike.

As mentioned earlier, they are deployed in a line, with sheilds ready, and advance with half-moves prepared to recieve the charge. When recieving a charge, their first action is to multiple-attack Root and Shove. If the enemy is many ranks deep, you might wish to come up with rules to simulate the enemies front rank being crushed from their comrades shoving them forward onto a set shield wall (and the Duerva Tuun's subsequent Shove back.)

One use of the Duerva Tuun is to have them push an enemy down a tunnell or out a gate, while engineers set the tunnell to collapse. Once the engineers are done, the Duerva Tuun slowly retreat, and the tunnell is collapsed when they are clear.

The Duerva Tuun are methodical in their fighting, and fiercely stubborn. You won't see fancy moves from them - they advance on the enemy and cut them down, step by step, slowly pushing invaders out of their underground homes.

Martial Training of the Duerva Tuun:

4 Shove 1/2 phase +0/+0 +25 strength to shove

4 Root 1/2 phase +0/+0 +25 strenth to resist shove, block, abort

4 Fast Strike 1/2 ph +2/+0 Wpn +2 DC strike

4 Counterstrike 1/2 ph +2/+2 Wpn +2 DC strike, must follow block

1 Wpn Element Axes/picks/maces

2 WF Common Melee

2 KS Duerva Tuun War Chants

This is top of the head, so revisions,additions, and opinions are welcomed..

-CraterMaker

This is great because it matches very well to what I was pondering on for one of my Dwarven nations. This gave me a lot to think about, particularly since I hadn't actually thought about them pushing the enemy back. Now I'll have to slightly redesign the "super" skill I was giving them.

REPPED!

kinda funny, because the other day I was trying to think of a martial art designed by Halflings. What kind of maneuvers would they use? How would they use them against bigger folk? This is what I came up with:

Halfling Wardance:

This martial art was designed by halfling warriors during the Demon Wars in the age of antiquity when all the races were called upon to fight the encroaching forces of darkness.

Almost all of the opposing forces were larger, sometimes significantly so, than the halfling warriors. At first, this posed problems for the diminutive soldiers, but they soon learned to use their smallness as their greatest strength. Larger orcs and ogres had an extremely difficult time hitting them when they remained in motion during battle, ducking under clumsy swings and dodging between the legs of bigfolk.

When the human warriors saw the burgeoning Halfing arts at work, some of them laughed and named it the Halfling Wardance. The Halflings liked it and decided to keep the name intact.

Essentially, the Halfling Wardance is almost exactly that...a dance of sorts. The Halfling martial artist will remain in motion almost the entire combat...bobbing and weaving in between opponents, dodging between the legs of bigger foes and generally causing havock amongst a group of enemies. The majority of their maneuvers target the legs of their opponents because face it...thats normally all they can reach.

The martial art has been refined over the centuries until it has reached its modern form. There are even a few variant schools, one of which concentrates on dueling with like-sized opponents...originally for halfling vs halfling duels, but such occurrances are extraordinarily rare at any point in their history.

Dodge'n Parry! 4pts +1 OCV +3 DCV Block, Abort. (Defensive Block)

Can't catch me! 5pts n/a OCV +4 DCV Dodge, affects all, F/move (Flying Dodge)

Duck'n Strike! 5pts +1 OCV +3 DCV STR Strike (Defensive Strike)

Cutting the grass! 5pts +1 OCV +0 DCV STR+v/5, F/move (passing strike)

Hamstring! 3pts +1 OCV +1 DCV Str Strike, Target falls (Takedown)

Slippery Wiggle 4pts +0 OCV +0 DCV +15STR vs Grabs (Martial escape)

Default: Use art with Swords

+1: Use art barehanded

+1: Use art with Clubs

+1: Use art with Shields

+1: Use art with Spears

KS: Halfling Wardance

PS: Wardancer

Acrobatics*

Breakfall*

WF: Swords*

WF: off-hand

Two Weapon Fighting

Rapid Attack

Teamwork

The Hafling Wardance is a highly mobile martial art. The wardancer will almost always move in addition to attacking or defending in order to keep his opponents off balance. Typically, the wardancer will begin his phase with an acrobatic half-move, using any bonuses acrued by the acrobatics roll to increase his DCV. This simulates the wardancer tumbling around and between his opponents legs, denying them a clear counter-attack. The wardancer will then lash out with thier weapon at the last moment...normally at the opponents legs or midsection.

Wardancers are also highly trained in Breakfall tactics, because of the wardancers small stature, they are often the victim of many knockback attacks, and this allows them to continue fighting without losing a turn when being thrown and knocked about a battlefield.

The Duck'n Strike maneuver is the typical attack maneuver in the wardancer's arsenal. Against big foes, it has a default hit location of 2D6+7, but against other smallish folk, it takes the typical 3D6 hit location.

Cutting the Grass is a maneuver typically used when running through multiple opponents. The wardancer will flash by his opponent, quickly striking at the leg region. This attack has a default hit location of 2D6+7 against bigfolk. Multiple wardancers often work in concert to take out large numbers of opponents using this technique. One will strike from the left, then the other from the right, the next from the left again, this often keeps opponents off balance and the relatively minor cuts will add up to some big damage if at least 3 or 4 wardancers are involved.

The Hamstring maneuver is where the wardancer specifically strikes the opponent in the leg region..normally the calf or back of the ankles...and this causes the opponent to fall over. This maneuver is also called "TIMBER!" in some wardancer schools.

Halfling Wardancing is normally performed with the smallsword or dagger. These weapons are perfect size for the halfling to wield and are lightly encumbering, allowing a wardancer to maintain full mobility. Some schools teach variant weapon usage, including barehanded, stick work, smallspear. The Bigguntopple school of wardancing teaches Smallsword and Buckler techniques and incorperate the shield in some of the maneuvers including a nasty piece of work known as the Slush'n Crush where the wardancer uses a Sweep maneuver which includes Hamstring (using the smallsword) and Duck'n Strike (using the Shield) where they cut the opponent down then use the buckler to crush the opponents throat while they are down in one smooth move.

Some Wardancers learn florentine techniques using twin daggers or a smallword and dagger combo. (Bigguntopple school teaches TWC with sword and shield as well) Such advanced students are often seen as fighting dynamos as they charge through a battlefield mowing down large opponents in a flash of blood and steel and they are often gone as quickly as they appear, on to the next arena where their supreme skills are needed.

Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately) in the modern age, the Halflings haven't gone to war with anyone in centuries and thus, practice of the Wardancer arts have waned, being relegated to the few Halfling soldiers and the skills are passed down family lines but few students outside the current families who posses the knowledge exist. Also, very few halflings have the dedication necessary to reach the level of a master...it is said less than seven masters of this martial art exists. The exact number is unknown.

There it is, the Halfling martial art! enjoy.

The Hafling Wardance is a highly mobile martial art. The wardancer will almost always move in addition to attacking or defending in order to keep his opponents off balance. Typically, the wardancer will begin his phase with an acrobatic half-move, using any bonuses acrued by the acrobatics roll to increase his DCV. This simulates the wardancer tumbling around and between his opponents legs, denying them a clear counter-attack. The wardancer will then lash out with thier weapon at the last moment...normally at the opponents legs or midsection.

So, it is like Yoda's fight in AotC, without all the Force-jumping? :D

So' date=' it is like Yoda's fight in AotC, without all the Force-jumping? :D[/quote']

essentially, yes.

They use very efficient cuts and slashes at chest level (for the halfling) in order to cripple their opponents mobility. Then they move on to the next opponent, leaving the downed opponent for others to finish off.

However some Halflings make use of acrobatics to attack a larger foe in the torso/head region. This is usually enough to surprise an opponent, because most combatants simply don't expect this sort of thing from a halfling. Its worth at least a +2 Surprise move bonus (in addition to potential bonus from Acrobatics) if they've never seen a Wardancer in action. One popular technique is where the wardancer runs up his opponent (similar to running up a wall or tree) to slash at the enemy's throat!