Any suggestions for an intercom?

jguerin

Anyone have a favorite build for an internal intercom system for a building?

I was thinking of going with the standard Mink Link write up:

Mind Link, specific group of up to any 8 minds, No LOS Needed (35 AP); OAF (-1), only Can be Linked with Other Who Have the Mind Link (-1), Does not Provide Mental Awareness (-1/4), Flashed as Hearing Group, not Mental Group. Total Cost 11 points

than just adjust the points based on how many rooms have access to the intercom ie how many "minds" in the link.

But I also thought that it could be done with less bookkeeping as Clairsentience:

Clairsentience (Hearing Group), Multiple Perception Points (up to 8 at once) (35 AP) One Sense Only (Normal Hearing; -1/4), OAF (-1), Fixed Perception Ponits (-1). Total Cost: 11 points

Or maybe even use Images?

Any suggestions?

Re: Any suggestions for an intercom?

Er. Well, sure.

"Does this building have an Intercom system?"

"Yep."

Sometimes it's just an intercom, and doesn't need built, unless you're looking for a specific mechanic to shut it down. A wireless intercom will be flashed as the Radio Group, not the hearing group. Something hard wired (which I think would be very uncommon, but I don't know enough to say for certain) might be Flashed as the hearing group, but again, hearing a Flashbang go off on a radio, and standing next to it, are two separate things.

Generally, though, my understanding is that these are built as Mind Link, so your first thought is "the most correct" I believe.

"Mrs. Ha-Wiggins..."

Thanks

Unfortunately I have one of those GM's that insist that everything needs to be build with character points and since the building is our base everything needs to mimick hero rules.

Heck, we even had to pool our experience points just to build a microwave oven for crying out loud! (Change Environment(Heat up objects placed inside)5 AP; OAF (-1)) But he's pretty generous with the XP so I guess its not so bad.

Thanks

Unfortunately I have one of those GM's that insist that everything needs to be build with character points and since the building is our base everything needs to mimick hero rules.

Heck, we even had to pool our experience points just to build a microwave oven for crying out loud! (Change Environment(Heat up objects placed inside)5 AP; OAF (-1)) But he's pretty generous with the XP so I guess its not so bad.

Holy t.v. dinners, Bat-Man! You forgot to put a Computer inside the microwave... how else are cyberkinetics supposed to Mind Control said microwave? ... and how much damage would it do to a gremlin lacking the propper Life Support, if stuffed inside? Godsblood! Do you expect it to just die of heat stroke?

I can't work under these conditions... ;)

You could skip the intercom and buy a follower/butler for the base to run from room to room to pass handwritten messages. For 11 points you could get him some pretty spiffy powers or abilities.

EB (OAF lightning gun -1) 16 charges (only in butler ID -1/4) (not usable underwater so stay away from the pool and decorative fountains -1/4)

or

Precognition (only usable to know when its time to fix a platter of sandwiches to munch on -2)

You of course need to discuss this and other options during your next gaming session and see if the GM picks up on how ridiculous it is to charge points for a speakerphone.

Bonus build just in case:

Water Fountain - TK (useable only against water already in the pipe -1) (no range -1/2) (only one direction -1/2)

Thanks

:boggle: And they tell me I'M hard core 'bout point expenditure. Okay, well, any of the builds given work. What McCoy's simulates is the "Enterprise" effect where, no matter where you are, you can be spoken too via the intercom. You could also just issue Comm Badges, assumed to be worn in base.

Just hand-wave it?

If not, clairaudience, useable by others, area effect, limited to building.

Thanks McCoy, I think we'll go with the clairaudience just to make the GM happy...but

I agree its silly simple because all the team members already have wrist communicators with a 2km range anyways! Why would we even have an intercom system? Sortof like why build a house with phone lines when you've had a cell phone for 8 years now.

..Oh, I guess we need a way to tell the butler to bring us some ice tea while were at the the pool, or maybe even so the pizza boy can buzz the house when he's at the door with our anchovy, pinapple, and green leaf spinach garlic crusted pizza.

Thanks

:ugly:

Make sure you buy lamps (Images, Only to create light) and the furniture (TK, 0 END Persistent, Only To Keep Stuff Off The Floor).

Sheesh... whack your GM in the head with a rolled up newspaper or something.

:ugly:

Make sure you buy lamps (Images, Only to create light) and the furniture (TK, 0 END Persistent, Only To Keep Stuff Off The Floor).

Sheesh... whack your GM in the head with a rolled up newspaper or something.

LOL!

Now I want to make a character called.... The Whacker!

Heck' date=' we even had to pool our experience points just to build a microwave oven for crying out loud! (Change Environment(Heat up objects placed inside)5 AP; OAF (-1)) But he's pretty generous with the XP so I guess its not so bad.[/quote']

You should also get an additional -1/2, after all, microwave ovens are Bulky. And you should get an additional limitation to reflect that it must be plugged into an electric outlet. How does he make you build the outlets? How about the doors? And the bathrooms? Does the base have multiple floors? If so, the floors above the ground should be built as TK, Only to hold stuff one story off the ground. Is there a basement? Build it as Tunneling. Air conditioning? Heating? Ceiling fans? Change Environment. How about a briefing room? Oratory, Incantations Throughout, Only vs. People in the room who are paying attention, OAF Immobile (the room).

Your GM is suffering from terminal silliness. I suggest aversion therapy: play into it - build all these little things until he regrets it and wises up. Spend a whole gaming session or two doing this, and he'll beg for the rolled-up newspaper (which must be built as 1d6 HA + 2d6 Aid to INT).

Intercom with 8 stations for a building:

Clairsentience (Hearing Group), Multiple Perception Points up to 8 at once (35 AP); Usable Simultaneously (up to 8 at once; +1) (70 Active Points); OAF, Immobile (-2), One Sense Only, Normal Hearing (-1/4), Fixed Perception Point (-1). Total Cost 16 points

also

Mind Link, specific group of up to any 8 minds, No LOS Needed (35 AP); OAF (-1), only Can be Linked with Other Who Have the Mind Link (-1), Does not Provide Mental Awareness (-1/4), Flashed as Hearing Group, not Mental Group. Total Cost 11 points.

Expensive for what it does, but Mind Link is the cheaper route but I like the Clairaudio build better..once you factor in the building equipment /5 its only a difference of 1 point.

Thanks again for you input.

Next up...Box of Tissues:

Entangle: OAF, Only works vs Snot, 100 charges per box ...Starwolf

Your GM is suffering from terminal silliness. I suggest aversion therapy: play into it - build all these little things until he regrets it and wises up. Spend a whole gaming session or two doing this' date=' and he'll beg for the rolled-up newspaper (which must be built as 1d6 HA + 2d6 Aid to INT).[/quote']

Or make sure all the player characters have a Drain TK 2d6 Ranged they can use to untie the villain's shoelaces! That is, unless he's bought the power shoelaces using Clinging, Only Vs My Own Shoes, then you'll need to make it 3d6.