Hey there Little Buckaroo: The Banzai Primer

Publius

The following pdf is a primer for Buckaroo Banzai that I have prepared for an upcoming Covention Game. I'm putting this thread in with the Pulp Material for two reasons: first, because Buckaroo Banzai really is a modern pulp character -- a Doc Savage of the 1980s. second, because I have made certain that I linked Buck with the "Men of Bronze", a few of the other Pulp heroes of the era (sometimes I hid it well). There are a lot of veiled references to other movies (including six Goldblum refs) which I added for my own amusement (and hopefully yours).

I also managed to get the other side of the coin in too - sometimes allies like Steve Zissou who is sort of an anti-hero, but oddly still pulpish in many ways. And of course (for those who have read the Book), the infaous Hanoi Xan, Pivot of Destiny yadayada who is kind of Moriarty, Fu Manchu and Dr. Evil all rolled into one.

Re: Hey there Little Buckaroo: The Banzai Primer

Buckaroo for HERO:

http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptationsmovie/buckaroo.html

PS: apparently the BTILC connection isn't true.

Yeah, I know. :(

But that doesn't have to make it any less "true", dagnabbit!

Jeff Goldblum makes 4 appearances I can see on that there primer :D

Jeff Goldblum makes 4 appearances I can see on that there primer :D

Yeah, I know. I would have included Jack Burton, I actually wanted to include Tim Thomerson as Jack Deth too. That was why I dug up Elizabeth Pena's pic :appreciative sound: for an "Independents" section, but then I looked at it and I was already at 14 pages. So I slotted in Mz. Pena as Doc's granddaughter and just sat on Jack Deth and Jack Burton for now. (The independents would have also included Lara Croft and Mr. & Mrs. Smith, so that wasn't really something I wanted to do being Brangelinaphobic).

And yep, it is 6 Goldblum's really. One of them is rather "hidden", one liner and not even a direct mention of his character from the movie. Although someone sent me a line already which picked up on it, so I'm happy. I really enjoyed going all "Wold Newton" on the Primer, plus a couple of sight gags etc.

If it makes you feel any better, in the official World Watch One newsletters published by Fox at the time it was revealed that Jack Burton ran off with Billy Travers' (Team Banzai's young computer whiz) fiance, so there is a connection even tho 'Big Trouble...' was never a Banzai sequel of any sort.

I am so stealing this.

Really.

Could some one do a Jack Burton add on??

And Jackie Chan from the Animated series?

Wow who else??

Kim Possible comes to mind.

Surbrook's Stuff has write ups for Kim Possible and Ron Stoppable. :)

I can do an add on which includes Jack, I just don't have time before the Con (which starts tomorrow) as I am setting stuff up for this and all my other games. If someone has a more recent pic of Mrs. Johnson I'd love to include her somewhere (The last movie I think she was in was in the 90s I could not find anything recent which is why I didn't include her). I'd like a few more independent villains as well. My only problem with Kim Possible is that she is an animated character (which is also why I didn't do Team Venture, a show I love that fits into the genre albiet waaaay to the pardoy side even beyond Steve Zissou).