Black Lagoon HERO

Susano

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 years later...

Re: Black Lagoon HERO

Sorry for the necro but I just wanted to let any fans know that Best Buy is selling the complete series box set for $29.99. This is 50% off. You can get this price on-line or in store. Alot of there anime titles are marked half-off. If you've had any titles on your wish list, it may be time to take a look.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

All I know is that there is not a third season, proper, but an OAV series that is acting as the third installment. What an OAV is, exactly, I'm not sure... but I presume it to be like a mini-series so that they aren't necessarily doing them per tv season and all that. I don't think its here in America yet, but I believe its already aired in japan already.

ah... and so I understand anime a tiny bit better now. =) I'm one of those "casual" fans. I'm not way into it' date=' but I do enjoy a few of them. A vast majority just aren't my cup of tea. Obviously, Black Lagoon is one that I've enjoyed quite a bit.[/quote']

Anime comes in all genres. Black Lagoon just so happens to be in a genre easily accessible to Western fans.

Anime comes in all genres. Black Lagoon just so happens to be in a genre easily accessible to Western fans.

Yes, I realize. I was even in an anime club in college. I generally stay away from all the cutesy stuff and mostly enjoy the fantasy, sci-fi, & modern genres along with mash-ups between them. I occasionally enjoy the funnier/sillier stuff, depending on what it is. Like, I own quite a few Miyazaki films, the Appleseed stuff, Battle Angel, Record of Lodoss Wars, some Dragon Half, Black Lagoon, Ghost in the Shell, Macross Plus and others. I've enjoyed quite a few series via Netflix and others, including Samurai Champloo, Rouroni Kenshin, Blood, and... and I'm realizing I don't remember the titles to a lot of stuff I've seen. I remember watching Black Jack, El Hazard, Bastard, and enjoying those... *shrug* There have been a lot, I just don't remember them, and there are some I wish I could erase from my brain but they can't be unseen. =/

OAV = Original Animated Video. Basically it means "direct to DVD."

But not with the same stigma that direct to DVD bears in America. Here, a direct-to-DVD movie is usually one that is considered too poorly-done or ludicrous to be worth the bother of sending to theaters (Megashark vs, Giant Octopus, for example.) In Japan, an OVA generally means something that is, for whatever reason, not desirable to show on Japanese TV but which can still be of very high quality. The "special" Slayers episodes featuring Naga the White Serpent (or "Naga the Fish-**** depending on your point of view), for example, are generally considered very funny but the series is too short for TV. The cyberpunk classic Bubblegum Crisis is another example -- too violent for the TV of the time but very much a serial story. OVA episodes are also released in support of a series that is broadcast, frequently as extras for the DVD release.

Disney has become notorious for making innumerable direct-to-DVD sequels to theatrical films, done on the cheap and with a very poor reputation. Warner Brothers DC Universe line (not necessarily DC Animated Universe) has released some pretty good direct-to-DVD films and some poor ones.

But not with the same stigma that direct to DVD bears in America. Here' date=' a direct-to-DVD movie is usually one that is considered too poorly-done or ludicrous to be worth the bother of sending to theaters ([i']Megashark vs, Giant Octopus[/i], for example.) In Japan, an OVA generally means something that is, for whatever reason, not desirable to show on Japanese TV but which can still be of very high quality. The "special" Slayers episodes featuring Naga the White Serpent (or "Naga the Fish-**** depending on your point of view), for example, are generally considered very funny but the series is too short for TV. The cyberpunk classic Bubblegum Crisis is another example -- too violent for the TV of the time but very much a serial story. OVA episodes are also released in support of a series that is broadcast, frequently as extras for the DVD release.

Disney has become notorious for making innumerable direct-to-DVD sequels to theatrical films, done on the cheap and with a very poor reputation. Warner Brothers DC Universe line (not necessarily DC Animated Universe) has released some pretty good direct-to-DVD films and some poor ones.

I recognize this cultural distinction. I've watched several OAVs in the past and enjoyed them thoroughly. =)