Astounding Arrival!

Darren Watts

Re: Astounding Arrival!

My first copies of Astounding Hero Tales were awaiting me when I arrived this morning. Woot and Hoot! Looks gorgeous' date=' so congrats to all around. The bulk of them are on a truck even now making its way from the wilds of Quebec to the even wilder wilds of Nevada... dw[/quote']

So, not in the online store until they get to the warehouse, right?

Actually, we will occasionally take orders for something we absolutely know is on the way. CU:NOTW is up in the store now, and we won't have it in hand for a few more days. If the truck falls in a river between Quebec and Nevada, we'll know about it immediately. But usually, yeah, we wait til it's here. We rarely have final cover images much before then anyways. dw

• 4 weeks later...

Astounding Review!

Well, I have now acquired and read my very own copy courtesy of my lovely wife (who is peering over my shoulder as I type)... and I was not disappointed.

The book is a collection of short stories, none of them averaging more than a 15-30 minute read depending on your speed. The topics range from straight crime pieces to more fantastical ones, so there's sure to be something in here for most readers.

The stories are uniformly good (some, granted, better than others), with particularly excellent offerings by some period professionals like Hugh Cave and Lester Dent. Sadly - and literally - they just don't write them like this any more.

There are also stories by modern authors, with Will Murray's piece being the standout for the more modern authors. His story had my brain spinning with questions like 'How do you build that?' and 'Can I drop this guy in my Pulp Hero game'?

I wholeheartedly reccommend the book to anyone that has an existing interest in the pulps, is a GM looking for ideas to drop in their game (many stories require little updating to drop into a modern-based campaign), or just is curious to see what 'pulp fiction' was and why so many people remember it with such fondness.

Kudos to Steve, Darren, and all the crew that brought this one to press - it's a winner.

Call Hero Man!...he'll surely save the day!

Sure... after he whips out his calculator to determine how much BODY damage the water will do to the paper of the books, whether or not that should actually be considered a Transform attack by the water or a Susceptibility on the part of the paper... how much time he has (in Phases, at his Speed) to save the truck before the books are damanged beyond repair...

;)

Sure... after he whips out his calculator to determine how much BODY damage the water will do to the paper of the books' date=' whether or not that should actually be considered a Transform attack by the water or a Susceptibility on the part of the paper... how much time he has (in Phases, at his Speed) to save the truck before the books are damanged beyond repair...[/quote']Nah... HeroMan has Lightning Calculator, only vs. HERO-Math, that allows him to figure that stuff out as a Zero-Phase Action. ;)

PS: Good to see you back, Doc!! :D

Nah... HeroMan has Lightning Calculator, only vs. HERO-Math, that allows him to figure that stuff out as a Zero-Phase Action. ;)

PS: Good to see you back, Doc!! :D

Drat! As a soliloquy is also a zero-phase action, he can even stop to pontificate about it without taking any time, using your build, Derek! Fie! Fie on you, say I!!

(And parenthetically... thanks. ;) )

• 2 weeks later...

My copy arrived in the post yesterday (good old Leisure Games, reliable as ever) and I spent far too much time last night reading the book.

Is "unputdownable" a word?

An absolutely cracking read and a very handsome volume. The stalling of the pulp line is my only real disappointment with Hero at the moment (understandable, of course, but regrettable nonetheless) but when something like this comes along it makes up for a lot! Congratulations and thanks to everyone involved with the project. Hopefully there will be more Hero story collections in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

Correct. We don't want to take orders for something until we have it in hand. Otherwise' date=' what happens if, say, the truck runs off a bridge into a river? :eek:[/quote']They show up in the slightly damaged product section?.. :P