Who likes the new cover?

Chuk

I love the 5E FH cover -- I like the technical quality and the sheer action of it all. The characters are magnificent and attractive. Unfortunately it is a bit more superheroic than I'd have preferred, what with giants and colored costumes and stuff. That is to say, I tend to prefer more 'standard' races and... grit. But I *love* the depiction of the orcs (or whatever they are)!

It reminds me a bit of Moorcock's fantasy.

Anyway, while I wouldn't want my campaign to look like that, I still love it, and it's not so cheesecakey that I'm ashamed to leave it out where my wife will see it.

I do prefer the grittiness and mood of the 4th edition cover; usually I dislike Elmore but he does do nice mountains and trees, and the scene is quite evocative. I wouldn't say it's better, just different in what it depicts.

I also like the 1st edition Fantasy Hero cover, but not nearly as well, and it's kind of crude. But it's original and interesting.

Speaking of 1st edition FH, some of my favorite interior illustrations are the various depictions of the three iconics. I absolutely love those.

Mike

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Storn's art is okay. It definitely looks better in person than in the online previews that turn up here before the publication fo each book.

In general, though, I prefer the look of more conventional painting to the line art that Storn employs. On top of that I've found that Storn's subjects tend to get lost against their backgrounds. For these reasons I prefer the 4th ed cover, even though I usually don't like Elmore's art.

For those of you who like to just peruse fantasy art online I recommend poking through the galleries at gfxartist.com. The signal to noise ratio there is pretty high.

Some of my favorite RPG covers

Some of my favorite covers on RPG materials have been:

Warhammer Fantasy RPG (circa 1987.) It had a party fighting goblins and some champion of chaos. Dwarves with mohawks. Gotta love it.

Gamma World (circa 1978) - not a really well drawn cover. It looks like it was done in crayon actually. However it was evocative. It shows a group of 4 people, suited up with weapons at the ready, about to enter a ruined city.

A few of the RIFTS covers (never played the game.)

I like Stevens cover on Champions Battlegrounds. Has anyone else found waldo hidden in the cover yet. Quite clever.

I love the covers to the Witchfire Trilogy by Privateer Press. Excellent if you like goth grrrls.

I like the covers to the new Hero Games stuff for the most part. There is no accounting for taste! The cover of Star Hero is quietly evocative. Perhaps the first time I've seen a science fiction RPG cover that DIDN'T have everyone bristling with beam weapons buring down enemies.

My all time favorite Parody Cover is Hello Kitty 40K: In the Grim Future of Hello Kitty there is only War! If you have never seen it, it's a hoot. (OMG - in searching for the pic I came across the Hello Kitty... vibrator... shudder!)

Hello Kitty 40K

Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

I agree

I agree. Though trhe new cover focuses on a band of heroes, as opposed to one lone horseman, it is far too superhero-like for my tastes. And I'll 100th the comments about the blue spearwoman being distracting. It's beautifully drawn, it just doesn't go on teh cover of FH. I personally like Easley and Elmore's work better.

I rather like the FH cover. The spearwoman looks like she is a paladin, and I am truly sick and tired of the generic "Paladin and their Holy Sword " pic. This was impressive and larger than life. I think a lot of people like playing FH because you can get a "gritty realism" that DnD lacks, but forget that FH can do high-power fantasy really well. The fire mage casting in the second line was cool; no big arm waving, instead a controlled use of Gestures, Incantations, and possibly Focus. And a (female) giant on the heroes' side! Very cool.

The baddies looked good too, if a little undetailed. I wasn't as impressed with the baddie spellcaster, which I would have liked, but nothing is ever perfect, right? Overall I thought the cover prodded righteous buttock, and am glad, glad, glad we didn't didn't have another Elmore-esque cover. Not that I don't like his work, mind, but I've seen a lot of it, and I'd like to see some new stuff, like this Storn Cook guy.

As an aside, one of my long-time gamer buddies, Wily Quixote from these boards, actually dropped by Elmores house back in 1999. No kidding -- he's got pictures taken by Elmore's wife with Wily Q and Elmore checking out some of Elmores (at the time) works in progress.

Wily Q is a huge Elmore fan -- his mother has been buying originals and prints from Elmore directly for his christmas presents for the last 7 years or so.

Originally posted by Toadmaster

KS-

your avitar is freaking me out, its a dead ringer for my brother (or at least as much as I can tell from a 1/2" pic).

Weird

Youre brother must be a handsome gent.

I try to be a brother to all humanity, Toad. Its a difficult task, but I soldier on.

Guess our dad really got around.

Damn it! Youve ruined my Secret ID!

Really? He must be a result of the same secret government cloning experiment.

Identity theft is a crime!

Dont be alarmed citizen. A member of the collective will be by momentarily to deal with you.....

OK, OK. Couldnt resist. I've gotten that before -- sometimes people confuse me for other people, and I have to convince them Im not their long lost buddy from whereever.

I just have one of those 'dont I know you from somewhere' faces I guess.

KS

Do you ever get mistaken for Mark McGuire?

Being in Oakland he got that a couple of times, once on the bus he overheard a couple of kids arguing over it, finally one pointed out "what the hell would Mark McGuire be riding the bus for?"

Then again it is a 1/2" pic, just thought it was rather amusing.

You know I've got relatives in the san Diego area, hmmm. Are you rich? :D

Originally posted by Toadmaster

KS

Do you ever get mistaken for Mark McGuire?

Being in Oakland he got that a couple of times, once on the bus he overheard a couple of kids arguing over it, finally one pointed out "what the hell would Mark McGuire be riding the bus for?"

Then again it is a 1/2" pic, just thought it was rather amusing.

You know I've got relatives in the san Diego area, hmmm. Are you rich? :D

Actually, yes, one female friend of mine mentioned on several occasions that she thought I look like MMcG -- I wouldnt know, as Im not a baseball fan and dont know (or care) what he looks like.

Im not rich (though we do ok), and Im originally from Florida as is my mother. Her family is from the Thomasville area of Georgia originally. My father, who I resemble strongly, is from the Cape Girardeau area of Missouri originally.

Who knows, maybe we're related ;)

Ok, with the larger pics the similarity is much less, your avitar could be him, still some similarity but clearly not clones. He looks very much like Mark Mcguire (or at leasst MM from his Oakland A's days) if you're curious as I don't have any handy digital images.

Thanks for indulging my curiosity. You may now return to your life citizen, the restraining order has been signed. :)