LXG

MisterD

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Agent Escafarc

Two possilble answers to this:

A: This is Tom's grandson, they never use his first name in the movie.

B(My first choice) this is the Tom from that live action/animated cartoon from the Bannana Splits Show who when he finally got out of those caves found himself some 30+ years in the future :D

I also liked the fight scenes mainly because they didn't use the slow-motion/wire-fu stuff which I just don't carefor.

I'd heard the Tom Sawyer character was created specifically for the movie due to the absence of any American members of the LXG. If so then not surprising that the character didn't quite "fit" as well as the rest.

Re: Dorian Grey Character Very interesting McCoy, I like a lot of the things you do for the character. I do have some questions:

What is the -1 Custom Modifier for on Desolidifcation?

The way that I read it, buying the STR with Affects normal World allows him to use HTH Attacks, that does I assume include HTH weapons (i.e. both barehanded and weapon attacks), but would it include ranged weapons as well? Perhaps that was why he did not use any firearms... simply put, he cannot and the character is simply played as if this were an affectation (although he does use a pistol once). Eventually, a Naked Power Modifier could be purchased for him I guess that would allow him to do so, but it might be a spot costly (notice the pistol he used was a small one)...

I agree btw, with the several comments about the Tom Sawyer character's age being off, but overall, they did do a nice job on the character so I basically let it slide. The various explanations I've seen here make a lot of sense.

Looks like an interesting writeup, but instead of buying Shotguns as a weapon element for his Martial Arts, you should probably buy that as a Weapon Familiarity. Unless of course he uses the shotgun for Roundhouses and such like.

Just for purposes of gamefying the character, might as well round him off to 350. An Overall Level and a Damage Class for his Martial Arts would do the trick nicely.....

Originally posted by dbcowboy

I'd heard the Tom Sawyer character was created specifically for the movie due to the absence of any American members of the LXG.

I've heard that too. Dorian is also apparently a just-for-the-movie character, perhaps to get a pretty young guy into the cast (I haven't seen the actor playing Tom, but Connery, while handsome, is old and the other guys didn't strike me as particularly good-looking).

Originally posted by Publius

Re: Dorian Grey Character Very interesting McCoy, I like a lot of the things you do for the character. I do have some questions:

What is the -1 Custom Modifier for on Desolidifcation?

Must leave real body behind. Couldn't figure out how to put that in the midifier itself, that's why I put it in the notes.

The way that I read it, buying the STR with Affects normal World allows him to use HTH Attacks, that does I assume include HTH weapons (i.e. both barehanded and weapon attacks), but would it include ranged weapons as well? Perhaps that was why he did not use any firearms... simply put, he cannot and the character is simply played as if this were an affectation (although he does use a pistol once). Eventually, a Naked Power Modifier could be purchased for him I guess that would allow him to do so, but it might be a spot costly (notice the pistol he used was a small one)...

Don't see why not. In the novel a shooting accident left him with a dislike for guns.

And yes, that should have been Weapon Familiarity, swords and shotgun.

Originally posted by Lord Liaden

Ebert and Roeper both stuck their thumbs up for Hulk. I haven't seen their review of LXG yet, but it would be nice if it's positive - they're probably the most widely-quoted film critics.

Actually, Roper said that LXG was going on his list of 10 Worst Movies Of The Year when he critiqued it ...

Originally posted by McCoy

Must leave real body behind. Couldn't figure out how to put that in the midifier itself, that's why I put it in the notes.

Stylistically, I would have done this a bit differently. Notice that this is not even a 'critique', just a different perspective; the way you did this was fine. I would have dropped the -1 "leave body behind" and given Grey's Desolidifcation an additional -1/2 modifer for "Cannot be used to squeeze through tiny spaces" (As I understand it, "Cannot pass through solid matter" still allows you to go through tiny spaces, like the Shoggoth-type creature in the Bestiary). Unfortunately, this would make the power a bit more expensive. Has anyone else seen something like this asa desolidifcation mod? My books are presently packed away, so I am working from memory here...

Then for disadvantages, I would have added something about the painting, perhaps even a custom classification such as: "Damage to Painting damages Character" along with "Looking at uncovered Painting causes ____" (rest of sentence removed for lack of spoilers). Written as a Vulnerability maybe?

The Desolidification needs to have something which can affect Dorian. Damage to the painting wouldn't be enough in my opinion, but the film hasn't been released over here, so perhaps there are changes from the story.

Bearing in mind the origin of the picture. Magic attacks seem most plausible. While I can't recall any overt magic in the LXG comics, there are references to mysticism in a lot of the related stories, for example, "She", featuring Allan Quatermain (Ayesha is immortal because of a sacred flame IIRC).

I can't see why Dorian couldn't pick up a gun and use it (in common sense terms).

Damage to the painting is possibly a Susceptibility.

Dorian was added for the movie, but he is British. On the other hand, C. Auguste Dupin helps the League in volume 1, so I don't think liaising with heroes from other lands is that big a problem. Also, Nemo isn't British (and indeed hates them), so thinking about it again, I suppose Tom Sawyer is not that big a stretch. My concerns were more whether Tom was the best American character they could find. I raised this on the non-gaming board and no one came up with a better choice.

Originally posted by Crimson Arrow

again, I suppose Tom Sawyer is not that big a stretch. My concerns were more whether Tom was the best American character they could find. I raised this on the non-gaming board and no one came up with a better choice.

I was pondering the same thing. Most of the other characters were super in some way, except maybe for Quatermain and Nemo (and even they had tinges of paranormality). Sawyer was just a highly skilled normal (with lots of Luck). So who else could they have gotten?

1. Pecos Bill

2. Paul Bunyan

3. John Henry the Steel-Drivin' Man

That's all I can think of.

Several Gunfighters were literary figures, if you can call those dime novels literary. Wild Bill would have been too old but most gunfighters seemed to be active in the 1870s so, heck, Billy the Kid could have worked. Would have put him in his 40s I think. Or Pat Garrett, he was a physically huge guy too.

I like Arthur's suggestions, but they don't really fit with the League, as my understanding is that they are mythical/legendary, rather than literary characters (although if I've got that wrong, I apologise and please do put me right, I'd like to know). The line can be blurred at times, though.

A famous gunfighter, as Agent X suggested, but the ones mentioned were real people, unlike, say, the Lone Ranger, or Hopalong Cassidy. They might have been talked up in the stories of the day, but they were actual people.

For many purely fictional cowboys, you'd probably have copyright problems. I think a lot were created in the 20th Century. While they could have changed the name, like the did with the Invisible Man, the point of him is that he's invisible, his name doesn't matter much. However, Hopalong Cassidy is just a skilled gunfighter without his name and good luck with the legal action if a masked man on a pure white horse turns up firing silver bullets, calling himself the "Phantom Stranger" (hey, you could get sued by DC as well!).

I like the idea of a detective, but I am a little surprised that there doesn't seem to be another great American one from that era, even if he was written about much later, with his stories simply set at the end of the 19th Century.

What about a young Clark Savage Snr? I'm not sure when he was born; but it could be another of Doc's forebears. Copyright problems again, I suppose.

Actually, they are all literary figures. The idea behind LXG was that many of the classic books referencing the Victorian era are in the public domain.

The Griffith as the Invisible Man was thought to be in the public domain, but it turned out after the comic was published that he isnt.

In fact, my only niggling problem with the film is the fact that Tom Sawyer, having been born in 1837 according to the book by the same name, should have been just over 60 years old during this movie, and obviously he's not.

I wouldn’t worry about it too much, it’s all in good fun. Besides "Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea" took place in 1866 putting Nemo, who I believe was in his thirties at the time, at least in his sixties by 1899. Not mention that the characters of Hyde and Nemo (as well as Griffin, but I think they had a different Invisible Man for the film) were all dead by 1899. Though I know Mr. Moore got around that somehow.

Originally posted by Killer Shrike

Actually, they are all literary figures. The idea behind LXG was that many of the classic books referencing the Victorian era are in the public domain.

The Griffith as the Invisible Man was thought to be in the public domain, but it turned out after the comic was published that he isnt.

Thanks for that KS, but are those characters literary in that they were written first, or literary in that stories were written about them, codifying and elaborating the tales? Just curious about American folklore, not querying your veracity.

How about Ichabod Crane? IIRC in the original story he vanishes after encountering the Headless Horseman. Perhaps he comes back as the new one? As a ghost, the gap in time periods wouldn't matter. Again, if I've blown my KS: American Folklore and Stories, sorry.

Guest Worldmaker

How about Ichabod Crane? IIRC in the original story he vanishes after encountering the Headless Horseman. Perhaps he comes back as the new one? As a ghost, the gap in time periods wouldn't matter. Again, if I've blown my KS: American Folklore and Stories, sorry.

150 years too early.

Originally posted by Worldmaker

150 years too early.

Not if he's the new Headless Horseman, as I suggested. 150 years wouldn't matter to a ghost.

I was trying to think of figures created earlier or later (hence Doc Savage's father) to get round the apparent lack of suitable characters written in the late 19th Century.

Still, the film's made now!

Stylistically, I would have done this a bit differently. Notice that this is not even a 'critique', just a different perspective; the way you did this was fine. I would have dropped the -1 "leave body behind" and given Grey's Desolidifcation an additional -1/2 modifer for "Cannot be used to squeeze through tiny spaces" (As I understand it, "Cannot pass through solid matter" still allows you to go through tiny spaces, like the Shoggoth-type creature in the Bestiary). Unfortunately, this would make the power a bit more expensive. Has anyone else seen something like this asa desolidifcation mod? My books are presently packed away, so I am working from memory here...

Then for disadvantages, I would have added something about the painting, perhaps even a custom classification such as: "Damage to Painting damages Character" along with "Looking at uncovered Painting causes ____" (rest of sentence removed for lack of spoilers). Written as a Vulnerability maybe?

Good point. I will probably add the -1/2 can't squeeze through tiny spaces limitation. The "leave real body behind" was from a discussion of astral projection in Mystic Masters. I chose to ignore the "'Looking at uncovered Painting causes ____' (rest of sentence removed for lack of spoilers)" in favor of the portrait as giant VooDoo doll. In the novel Dorian looked at it several times over the decades, and was fact to face with it when he made the fatal error of trying to destroy it.

(Would Dorian have given away his weakness like that? Or could it be that with the painting in tact, he'll get better?)

The Desolidification needs to have something which can affect Dorian. Damage to the painting wouldn't be enough in my opinion, but the film hasn't been released over here, so perhaps there are changes from the story.

Bearing in mind the origin of the picture. Magic attacks seem most plausible. While I can't recall any overt magic in the LXG comics, there are references to mysticism in a lot of the related stories, for example, "She", featuring Allan Quatermain (Ayesha is immortal because of a sacred flame IIRC).

He's already vulnerable to anything based on ECV or with the affects desolid advantage. Magic was hinted at in the movie, but never overtly shown, so Dorian may well be vulnerable to magic. I will leave that for individual GM's to decide.