LXG

MisterD

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Agent X

Cool. Anybody up to writing Nemo?

Not yet, just Dorian and Mina. Working on Henry & Edward now, lot harder than I thought it would be. Skinner's next, then Quartermain.

I'm leaving Nemo for last, in the hopes that someone else will write him up. Are you offering to do that?

As I understand. quite a lot of the filming script was cut to fit a 2 hour running time. As I understand nearly an hour is left on the cutting room floor and will be in the DVD.

I understand several plot points are expanded and explanded.

I liked the movie and enjoyed it quite well. The fight scenes were exciting to me. I just dont get the really negative reviews of the movie.

just my 2 cents

THAG

Originally posted by Thag13

As I understand. quite a lot of the filming script was cut to fit a 2 hour running time. As I understand nearly an hour is left on the cutting room floor and will be in the DVD.

I understand several plot points are expanded and explanded.

THAG

See...that is very cool to hear!

Originally posted by McCoy

Not yet, just Dorian and Mina. Working on Henry & Edward now, lot harder than I thought it would be. Skinner's next, then Quartermain.

I'm leaving Nemo for last, in the hopes that someone else will write him up. Are you offering to do that?

I honestly don't feel qualified. I can fudge some of the others but I have very little background with Captain Nemo.

Jekyll & Hyde

Lots of decisions need to be made before you can even start on Dr. Henry Jekyll's character sheet. Most important, what triggers the transformation to Edward Hyde?

In the book, The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, Hyde had become more or less the natural form, and it took constant and increasing doses of his serum to remain as Jekyll.

In the graphic novel, the transformation was Hulk-like, driven by stress or anger.

In the movie, we find a 180 from the book, Jekyll had to take his serum to change to Hyde, and he changed back when it wore off. This is the one I decided to go with.

Next, multiform or not. I decided not. Henry and Edward are in many ways conjoined twins, each has full memory of what the other has done. I finally decided that Edward is the Id, Henry the Superego, and the characted the result of the conflict between them.

This is my interpetation of the character, I'd like to see others.

Dr. Henry Jekyll & Mr. Edward Hyde

Player:

Val Char Cost
10/60 STR 0
18 DEX 24
20 CON 20
10/20 BODY 0
23 INT 13
13 EGO 6
10 PRE 0
10 COM 0
4/19 PD 2
4/19 ED 0
4 SPD 12
6 REC 0
40 END 0
25/50 STUN 0
6" RUN02" SWIM02"/12" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 77

Cost Power END
72 Hyde powers: (Total: 156 Active Cost, 72 Real Cost) Growth (+25 STR, +5 BODY, +5 STUN, -5" KB, -2 DCV, +2 PER Rolls to perceive character, 4 m tall, 2 m wide, 32 kg mass), 15 Continuing Charges lasting 6 Hours or ntil END reserve = 0 each which Recover every 1 Week + access to lab (+1 1/4) (56 Active Points); Fragile OAF, only to start power (-1), All or nothing (-1/2), Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) (added to Secondary Value) (Real Cost: 20) plus Armor (15 PD/15 ED) (45 Active Points); Linked to Growth (-1/2), Lesser Power can only be used when character uses greater Power at full value (-1/4) (added to Secondary Value) (Real Cost: 26) plus +25 STR (25 Active Points); Linked to Growth (-1/2), Lesser Power can only be used when character uses greater Power at full value (-1/4), No Figured Characteristics (-1/2) (uses END Reserve) (added to Secondary Value) (Real Cost: 11) plus +5 BODY (10 Active Points); Linked to Growth (-1/2), Lesser Power can only be used when character uses greater Power at full value (-1/4), No Figured Characteristics (-1/2) (added to Secondary Value) (Real Cost: 4) plus +20 STUN (20 Active Points); Linked to Growth (-1/2), Lesser Power can only be used when character uses greater Power at full value (-1/4) (added to Secondary Value) (Real Cost: 11) [Notes: The more STR Edward uses, the more quickly he burns out the serum and reverts to Henry. Note that Edward has twice the BODY and STUN as Henry, when he changes back the STUN & BODY pips left are cut in half during the change. If Henry changes again before being fully healed, double the current pips.] 2
21 Endurance Reserve (200 END, 1 REC) Reserve: (21 Active Points) REC: ; Limited Recovery, only as Henry (-1), Slow Recovery (5 Minutes; -1) [Notes: This is not based on anything in the original novel, graphic novel, or movie, but it explains why Edward does not stay Hyde full time.]
5 Infrared Perception
3 Ultrasonic Perception [Notes: I chose not to link the enhanced senses to the other powers, in the movie, Henry did perceve the ultrasonic signal on the phonograph record (even though Edward was not able to make him understand the significance of it).]
5 Double-shot "Snake-eyes" derrenger: Killing Attack - Ranged 1d6 (vs. PD) (15 Active Points); 2 Charges (-1 1/2), IAF (-1/2) [Notes: Again, no source for this, just something for Henry to keep in his pocket so that he is not helpless when Edward cannot come out and play. Innobvious to reflect its concealability.]
Powers Cost: 106

Cost Skill
3 Breakfall 13-
3 Climbing 13-
7 Streetwise 13-
25 +5 with HTH Combat
7 Paramedics 16-
7 SS: Biology 16-
7 SS: Chemistry 16-
7 SS: Psychology 16-
7 PS: Psycharist 16-
5 Language: English (idiomatic; literate)
4 Language: French (completely fluent; literate)
3 Language: Latin (fluent conversation; literate)
3 Language: Greek (fluent conversation; literate)
3 Language: German (fluent conversation; literate) [Notes: English & French because he's Canadian, Latin & Greek would have been required at the University, German to read Freud in the original.]
Skills Cost: 91

Cost Perk
2 License to Practice Medicine: Custom Perk
Perks Cost: 2

Total Character Cost: 276

Val Disadvantages
15 Psychological Limitation: Addicted to serum (Common; Strong) [Notes: Henry must make an EGO roll nightly or drink his serum and let Edward out. -1 to EGO roll for each 24 hours since the last change.]
15 Psychological Limitation: Shame, guilt & remorse (Common; Strong) [Notes: Henry remembers everything Edward does, and is ashamed of most of it. Leads to Henry feeling he is weak because he cannot contain Edward. Play as Inferiority Complex.]
15 Physical Limitation: Schitzophrenia/multiple personality (All the Time; Slightly Impairing) [Notes: This classifies as schitzophrenia because they hear voices. Edward is Henry's Id, Henry is Edward's Superego. I choose to dismiss seeing each other's faces in reflective surfaces as dramatic convention, an excuse to put both faces on the screen to dramatize the internal conversations.]
5 Susceptibility: Ultrasonics 1d6 damage, Instant (Uncommon)
20 Distinctive Features: Muscular Giant (Concealable; Extreme Reaction; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses) [Notes: Edward only. Concealable by not drinking serum.]
15 Psychological Limitation: Sociopath (Uncommon; Total) [Notes: Edward has absolutely no reguard for socital norms or the rights of others. ]
5 Enraged: Wounded (Uncommon), go 8-, recover 14- [Notes: Edward is smarter that most people think. He has Henry's full intelligence, he just applies it differently. He pretends to have an anger management problem to lull opponents into underestimating him, but he rarely actually looses his temper.]

Disadvantage Points: 90

Base Points: 200

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

Correction to previous list, somehow left Horatio Alger, Jr, off of the list, but while I know the general plot of his books (one plot, 120 books), I can't nane a single one of his protagonist.

There's Ragged Dick, from the novel of the same name. His power? Relentless optimism and a faith in hard work.

ok, it's not much of a power, I grant you, but his name alone might prompt you to give him a Presence attack when used (listeners are paralyzed with laughter)...

Originally posted by Crimson Arrow

Dorian was added for the movie, but he is British. On the other hand, C. Auguste Dupin helps the League in volume 1, so I don't think liaising with heroes from other lands is that big a problem. Also, Nemo isn't British (and indeed hates them), so thinking about it again, I suppose Tom Sawyer is not that big a stretch. My concerns were more whether Tom was the best American character they could find. I raised this on the non-gaming board and no one came up with a better choice.

I thought Jim West from Wild, Wild, West (Robert Conrad, not Will Smith) would have been a nice choice for an American, the show was shortly after the Civil War so the older Conrad wouldbe about right and it seems appropriate for the American to be based on a TV show rather than literature (fits us better). Of course from a story point it would have added another "old guy" and the interaction between Sawyer and Quartermain would not have worked with West unless they made him younger.

Re: Jekyll & Hyde

Lots of decisions need to be made before you can even start on Dr. Henry Jekyll's character sheet. Most important, what triggers the transformation to Edward Hyde?

Excellent write-up of the movie version of the character. Nothing in the film about it, but I might drop the armor and add some regeneration. Hyde was afraid of being shot, and it's not unraeasonable to assume that a formula that makes him into a giant might also heal him up a bit. Maybe some Damage Reduction defined as "Evil Never Dies."

Re: Re: Jekyll & Hyde

Originally posted by OddHat

Excellent write-up of the movie version of the character. Nothing in the film about it, but I might drop the armor and add some regeneration. Hyde was afraid of being shot, and it's not unraeasonable to assume that a formula that makes him into a giant might also heal him up a bit. Maybe some Damage Reduction defined as "Evil Never Dies."

Thank you. I had considered adding regeneration, but wondered if I was getting into adding powers not shown in the movie just because they were cool.

Character now is only 276 points, If a GM wants to use this version they could add regeneration, or other poweres to fit their vision.

I was amazed at how few points this character took, but I definitely did not want to take the STR beyond 60.

Finally saw the movie tonight. I was entertained. I once again correctly picked a major plot point by deduction before even seeing the film...Chad Riley, Boy detective at your service...

I have no complaints, it was good fun, there were a few surprises. I really enjoyed Nemo's asthetic sensibilities from the Nautalis, his other vehicles, down to his men's weapons, Nemo exuded an artistic sensability that I found really enjoyable. I liked all the characters only wishing that more development had been done on all of them (probably should read the source material, eh?)

The villain did kind of leave me cold. He wasn't much of anything really.

Perhaps if a sequal is made it will have a decent villain.

Re: Re: Re: Jekyll & Hyde

I had considered adding regeneration, but wondered if I was getting into adding powers not shown in the movie just because they were cool.

As I said, excellent write up, and I understand not wanting to add powers. What it comes down to for me is that Hyde is afraid of guns; if he can bounce bullets, he doesn't know it. On the other hand, the realities of gaming show that sooner or later he will get shot, and if you want him to come back in the next scene you need some way to keep him in play. Armor is a good option, maybe with the explanation that he doesn't know he's bullet proof. Personally I like 50% PD DamRed, Resistant, plus regen. All's fair...

Originally posted by Crimson Arrow

I suppose Tom Sawyer is not that big a stretch. My concerns were more whether Tom was the best American character they could find. I raised this on the non-gaming board and no one came up with a better choice.

Wild Bill Hickok, Wyatt Earp, The Lone Ranger, Brisco County, Jim West, Paladin, Maverick, Billy the Kid, Butch or Sundance, Judge Roy Bean.

A.

Originally posted by Argus

Wild Bill Hickok, Wyatt Earp, The Lone Ranger, Brisco County, Jim West, Paladin, Maverick, Billy the Kid, Butch or Sundance, Judge Roy Bean.

A.

All either historical persons or retcon, all of the retcons still under copyright.

Originally posted by Argus

While all great characters or legends (including the individuals that are historical but whom legends grew up around), none of them fit the mold. All of the characters in the League lived around the turn of the last century, and were written around that time. While, for example, Jim West would be logical because he lived around the right time, he isn't a piece of classical literature of the day, and so doesn't fit the theme.

As for young Mr. Sawyer: I don't recall any mention that he was actually the character from the novels. He could be the son or grandson of the original character, sharing his ability to get into trouble. Still not a perfect fit, and I would have had no problem if he had never been included, but it can work.