What does HERO Games have against >30 DEX, INT and EGO?

Kirby

Re: What does HERO Games have against >30 DEX, INT and EGO?

Kirby,

Actually, a side discussion has crept up from Trebuchet's claim that he believes limits are the crutch of weak GM's. I've sort of ignored the original topic, as I've always thought that normal humans really stopping at 30 was silly.

Ah, I see. I thought you were still on topic. Rereading your posts, I see your side debate.

My fustration actually stems from people wanting to respond (attack) without really understanding the point they're responding to (attacking).

Then of course there is you throw something out there as an example to explain your position and instead of commenting on your position, they attack the example.

:shrug: Then, in my opinion, you're reading into what's not there. If you're considering any response to be an attack, then that's easy to understand why you're frustrated. Though, with your sentence phrased as it is, I don't know if you're saying I'm "attacking" your position by responding or if someone is "attacking" my example, neither of which I see. YMMV.

That said Killer Shirke is right' date=' I'm getting way to fustrated with this topic, and have consistantly broken the play nice rule, which is a good que to leave it alone.[/quote']I'll agree you're getting way too frustrated; however, if you are going to leave, I suggest unsubscribing and don't come back. Chances are if you stay subscribed, you'll just see something that ticks you off and feel the need to repsond.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which is - benchmark chart aside - ignoring my principle point (which I think is unintentional). The point: the system assumes one scale for all genres, which is separate from benchmarks. The benchmarks don't fit the printed materials because the system, as is evident from the resource materials, is trying to be universal.

The problem isn't limited to the genre. The problem is systemic to Hero as currently printed. The setting benchmarks were set, but the setting materials are trying to stay in scale with other genres that are operating on a different plane of reality altogether - AND THAT DOESN'T WORK.

This is the same issue that pops up with: "why can Iron Man [reasonably constructed on available points] be stunned by a .357," or "why can't the hulk [reasonably constructed on available points] not trash a tank?"

Its because one size doesn't fit all - different genres assume different scales - but the system currently tries to force all of them onto one scale, which can be seen by the fact that the normals and their gear can generally be ported straight into a heroic game without problems.

Yes, its very annoying to have multiple tank write ups, one labeled heroic and another superheroic, but its also very annoying to deal with the dissonance that emerges from not doing just that.

Like I said: round peg, round hole; square peg; square hole.

I agree with your points. I've long argued against the universal approach to everything. That said, I don't think it has anything to do with the benchmark point of this thread. The fact that Ironman can be stunned by a .357 or the Hulk can't defeat a tank has nothing to do with why there aren't any characters with superhuman dex, intelligence, or ego in the game. There are plenty of characters with superhuman str, con, pre, pd/ed, speed, end, and stun but only 2 with superhuman dex [in the main CU] and none with int or ego.

It doesn't seem any more unlikely that players would want to see a superhuman dex character like Spiderman then wanting to see a superhuman strength character like Hulk. The CU is full of characters with superhuman strength. I think a lot of use are just wondering what's the hangup with the authors about having superhuman dex, int, and ego.

This thread has degenerated enough. Two warnings and an infraction have been issued due to the posting style of certain individuals here.

For those of you trying to engage in useful debate, my apologies, but this has gone on long enough.