fantasy village 0f 350 persons

steph

what do you find in a tipical little medieval fantasy village ? youv got a inn of course but what else............i want to start a game in a dark fantasy setting in a small village at the frontiere of two lost and ruined empire

stef

Re: fantasy village 0f 350 persons

Unless its on a through-fare, or are the local market for neighboring villages as well, a village of 350 probably won't support an inn - it would be more likely to have a few successful alewives. It needs more traffic than the local inhabitants would give it to survive.

Re: fantasy village 0f 350 persons

Unless its on a through-fare' date=' or are the local market for neighboring villages as well, a village of 350 probably won't support an inn - it would be more likely to have a few successful alewives. It needs more traffic than the local inhabitants would give it to survive.[/quote']

Yup, I've noticed that in fantasy games and novels alike, the travelers always stay at inns. In real world history, they more likely very often made camp or were hosted in the home of some local (in return for labor or providing something of value--foodstuffs, entertainment*, etc.). I'd like to see more of that in fantasy games.

"We go to the inn."

"What inn? It's a village of maybe 200 people."

"Oh, well...then we approach one of the locals and ask if someone can put us up...."

Another useful site, by the way: http://www.io.com/~sjohn/demog.htm