Penalty Skill Levels for non-combat Skills

I believe it was The Ultimate Skill that suggested Penalty Skill Levels could be used for more than just combat skills. While I really like this idea, I have a hard time thinking of good examples.

vs. Taking Less Time Than Base

vs. Not Having Appropriate Tools

vs. Different Race (for PRE based Skills)

Would you please offer more suggestions?

Re: Penalty Skill Levels for non-combat Skills

For a real multitasker:

vs. taking less time than base

vs. performing more than one skill at a time

My current character (with eight eyes and six arms) has something similar, allowing him to perform most tasks requiring manual manipulation at a full step down on the time scale.

Valdorian Age also suggests using them vs. the Active Point penalty for RSR's. This way, you can have a decent chance of getting your spell off without having to have a monstrously high roll.

Say your magic roll is 14-, if you try to cast a 60 AP spell, your chance is 8- - not very good. You could buy the roll up to 20-, then you've got a 14- chance. But at the same time, you can take for granted that you'll be able to cast smaller AP spells. Using PSLs instead, you could buy, say 4 of them, and have a 12- chance for the 60 AP spell, but no higher than 14- for any spell. So there's always some risk of failure.

One of the reasons I really like Penalty Skill Levels; they do not increase your chance of success above your skill. I see them as a way to slow down the skill level arms race.

I do not have Valdorian Age (yet) and had never thought about using them for Active Point penalties for Requires Skill Roll. Another excellent example. Although, it would probably be cheaper to buy RSR with no Active Point penalty. I do not know if Valdorian Age allows that.

One of the reasons I really like Penalty Skill Levels; they do not increase your chance of success above your skill. I see them as a way to slow down the skill level arms race.

I do not have Valdorian Age (yet) and had never thought about using them for Active Point penalties for Requires Skill Roll. Another excellent example. Although, it would probably be cheaper to buy RSR with no Active Point penalty. I do not know if Valdorian Age allows that.

It's not part of the setting as written, no. The setting is low magic, so with the RSR it gives the feel that magic is unreliable and not always very powerful.

The setting is low magic' date=' so with the RSR it gives the feel that magic is unreliable and not always very powerful.[/quote']

And often dangerous! The good news is that even if you fail your RSR, your spell still works, only you've just done some damage to your soul - you've incurred some debt to the demons or other supernatural beasties that don't have your best interests at heart.

And often dangerous! The good news is that even if you fail your RSR' date=' your spell still works, only you've just done some damage to your soul - you've incurred some debt to the demons or other supernatural beasties that don't have your best interests at heart.[/quote']

Well, that's comforting. Makes me glad I usually play the fighter!:thumbup:

Different Race: Medical skills

So you can treat your horse's injuries or diagnose the Dwarf's sickness.

Mmm. I've never thought of using PSLs for that. I've always used a KS for the particular new subject you could apply your medical skills to (i.e.: KS: Equine Medicine, KS: Dwarf Medicine, etc.).

Mmm. I've never thought of using PSLs for that. I've always used a KS for the particular new subject you could apply your medical skills to (i.e.: KS: Equine Medicine' date=' KS: Dwarf Medicine, etc.).[/quote']

I suppose how cinematic you want to go. If you don't want lots of sub-skills but still want some penalty for differences, using PSLs works quite well. Or perhaps you can only use PSLs to offset so much of a penalty for things like Paramedics on difference species.

As far as I'm concerned, this is an even better use for PSLs than combat. If you can throw a Lim on it, "Only to reduce the penalty by half; -1/2" is very nice; keeps you impressive, but not cakewalking, no matter the situation.