Colossus

Dennis Shaw

Here is a stab at Colossus.

This write up is not finished. I still have to flesh out a lot of info on this version but would like to solicite some opions from some players and GMs.

This version is American and got into the super hero game a little later in life than the original. He has also made some nice coin off of his art.

Colossus is one of my personal favorite comic characters and I always thought he was a lot more badass than most of his writers did I guess because he seemed to be little more than a walking damage sponge most of the time.

Please let me know what you think.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Colossus

I agree with you that Colussus was always a great character and sometimes radically under utlized.

Nice version. Generally, I like it. However, I would agree with the other poster that you want a higher strength. In my head I have always pegged Colussus around 70.

While I know that he has combat training from Prof X et al, I would eliminate the Martial Arts and give him additional levels (if you think necessary). I would also generally peg him at a slightly lower Dex (18ish for your average CU level campaign).

On the LS, my memory is foggy, but was Petyr Immortal in armored form? Also, what is LS: Low Gravity? I understand low pressure / vacuum, but does gravity just mean that he doesn't puke his guts out floating around?

Finally, is the NCM disad legitimate given that he ends up with super human stats in HID?

Guest steamteck

I don't know modern Colossus but for classic version seems great. St 50 seems fine to me. He didn't lift tanks back in the old Clarmont cockrum/Byrne days. Ambidextrous seems a little off the wall though.

Ditch ambidexterity. Ditch Wealthy perk.

Ditch Martial Arts; the 20 points you save can buy up STR by 20 points, and you'll have some left over with the limitations.

Not sure of the legality of buying concentration, Extra Time, and OIHID on the LS, and OIHID and Linked to LS on the defense powers.

Double hardened defenses is probably overkill for a 350 point character, as are 20 points power defense, 20 points total LOW.

Disadvantages!

re: Colossus's STR

The original Handbook of the Marvel Universe listed his lifting capability at about 50 tons which equates to a 55 STR in HERO.

Considering that a 350 point version is probably a starting version of the character I would skip the Martial Arts for now. At least some Density Increase and/or Knockback Resistance is also a must for the character. As built he may not take much damage but an average 12d6 attack will send him flying unless he's bracing for it.

Strength of only 50? Can't he lift tanks?

(I understand the 350-point limit makes it tough to build him.)

I would have bought him a few levels of Density Increase, with Armor and extra characteristics linked to it.

Yes, he was supposed to be able to lift tanks. His strength early in his career was listed by Marvel as Class 70, enabling him to lift/press 70 tons.

Later in his career they listed him as Class 100, enabling him to lift/press at least 100 tons.

Unfortunately this was Marvel's highest descibed super-strength level and they clumped a lot of heavy hitters of varying degrees into it. But that is a gripe for another thread.

Ideally I would have him at 60 STR but I had to skimp on virtually everything from my rough draft of him to fit the 350 point cap.

Originally I had Armor as the main power and a level of Growth and a level of Density Increase as well as his other powers linked to it.

As I read up on those powers I found out that they seem to be forbidden to be used in that way. They are only allowed for characters that actively manipulate their size and/or mass (like Hank Pym or Vision).

Also, there seems to be a penalty to the Linked Limitation when you link a more expensive power to a less expensive power in HDv3. That is why his Life Support became the main power that he activated and all of the other stuff was linked to (it ended up as the most expensive after all the trimming I had to do).

I agree with you that Colussus was always a great character and sometimes radically under utlized.

Nice version. Generally, I like it. However, I would agree with the other poster that you want a higher strength. In my head I have always pegged Colussus around 70.

While I know that he has combat training from Prof X et al, I would eliminate the Martial Arts and give him additional levels (if you think necessary). I would also generally peg him at a slightly lower Dex (18ish for your average CU level campaign).

On the LS, my memory is foggy, but was Petyr Immortal in armored form? Also, what is LS: Low Gravity? I understand low pressure / vacuum, but does gravity just mean that he doesn't puke his guts out floating around?

Finally, is the NCM disad legitimate given that he ends up with super human stats in HID?

It seemed to me that they spent too much time thinking up ways to kill his family and mess up his love life and too little time thinking up ways to use him in combat situations besides standing in front of his teammates and taking energy blasts in the chest or throwing Wolverine at people.

He did not seem to age or need food, water, or to breath in his armored form.

A normal person's body begins to break down after long periods of time in "0 G". LS: Low Gravity prevents this (I think).

My understanding of the NCM Disad. is that it is OK to buy extra Char. as Powers that are limited in some way.

The original Handbook of the Marvel Universe listed his lifting capability at about 50 tons which equates to a 55 STR in HERO.

Considering that a 350 point version is probably a starting version of the character I would skip the Martial Arts for now. At least some Density Increase and/or Knockback Resistance is also a must for the character. As built he may not take much damage but an average 12d6 attack will send him flying unless he's bracing for it.

I thought the original OHTTMU had him listed at 75 tons. Could be wrong.

THe Deluxe edition (which I still own) bumped Petey to Class 100.

I thought the original OHTTMU had him listed at 75 tons. Could be wrong.

THe Deluxe edition (which I still own) bumped Petey to Class 100.

I think Dennis Shaw's figure of 70 tons is correct for the original. He was probably the toughest one of the 'tweeners' (stronger than Spidey's 10 tons but less than all the top-end 100 ton guys).

I don't know modern Colossus but for classic version seems great. St 50 seems fine to me. He didn't lift tanks back in the old Clarmont cockrum/Byrne days. Ambidextrous seems a little off the wall though.

I'm very hazy on this but I seem to remember some sappy downtime cheese where he was drawing or painting a picture of Kitty Pride or Jubilee or maybe even the alien chic from the Secret Wars (who kept saying things like "jkihf" and "ygtfcxsg") and he made mention that he could draw or paint them equally as well with either hand.

Does anyone else remember this ultra important piece of Marvel canon or am I drunk again?

Ditch ambidexterity. Ditch Wealthy perk.

Ditch Martial Arts; the 20 points you save can buy up STR by 20 points, and you'll have some left over with the limitations.

Not sure of the legality of buying concentration, Extra Time, and OIHID on the LS, and OIHID and Linked to LS on the defense powers.

Double hardened defenses is probably overkill for a 350 point character, as are 20 points power defense, 20 points total LOW.

Disadvantages!

As far as the legality of the Limitations, HDv3 validated all of the Power Modifiers, but I don't know if real world GMs would have any issues.

Any input from said GMs?

I double Hardened his DEF because I only heard mention of him taking what would be considered BODY damage in the Marvel Universe once in some 30 odd years of his character's exsistance.

I would agree that 20 DEF is low (it was higher in the rough draft before I started counting points) but it is double Hardened with Lack of Weakness and 50% Resistant (STUN Only) Damage Reduction.

I am very green so please correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't an attack need to do BODY damage in order to cause Knockback.

If so it would take one hell of an attack to cause Knockback to this version of the character.

Can anyone clarify?

I am very green so please correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't an attack need to do BODY damage in order to cause Knockback.

If so it would take one hell of an attack to cause Knockback to this version of the character.

Can anyone clarify?

No, Knockback is independent of damage actually inflicted on the target.

KB is essentially what causes a baseball to fly off a bat.

Here's an alternative to consider:

I am going to ask Dan about the issues with Hardened normal defenses.

Colossus

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

20/60 STR 10 13- / 21- Lift 400.0kg/102.4tons; 4d6/12d6 [2/5]

18 DEX 24 13- OCV: 6/DCV: 6

20/40 CON 20 13- / 17-

19/20 BODY 10 13-

13 INT 3 12- PER Roll 12-

15 EGO 10 12- ECV: 5

20/25 PRE 10 13- / 14- PRE Attack: 4d6/5d6

18 COM 4 13-

8/30 PD 4 Total: 8/30 PD (8/30 rPD)

8/30 ED 4 Total: 8/30 ED (8/30 rED)

4 SPD 12 Phases: 3, 6, 9, 12

8/18 REC 0

40/80 END 0

44/70 STUN 5 Total Characteristic Cost: 116

Movement:

Running: 6"/12"

Leaping: 4"/8"

Swimming: 2"/4"

Cost Powers END

26 Osmium Metalic Form: Life Support (Immunity All terrestrial poisons and chemical warfare agents; Immunity: All terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents; Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum; Self-Contained Breathing) (39 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4), Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4) 4

Notes: Character reverts to normal form if unconscious.

Secondary Powers of Osmium Metalic Form, all slots Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4), Linked (Osmium Metalic Form; Greater Power is Constant or in use most or all of the time; -1/4)

4 1) Growth (+5 STR, +1 BODY, +1 STUN, -1" KB, 181 kg, +0 DCV, +0 PER Rolls to perceive character, 2 m tall, 1 m wide), Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4) (6 Active Points) 1

4 2) Density Increase (200 kg mass, +5 STR, +1 PD/ED, -1" KB), Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4) (6 Active Points) 1

20 3) +30 STR (30 Active Points) 3

27 4) +20 CON (40 Active Points)

5 5) +4 BODY (8 Active Points)

3 6) +5 PRE (5 Active Points)

-2 7) Hardened (+1/4) (2 Active Points) applied to PD

Notes: The cost of this appears to be a glitch in HDesigner.

0 8) +2 ED, Hardened (+1/4) (4 Active Points) (Modifiers affect Base Characteristic)

Notes: The cost of this appears to be a glitch in HDesigner.

32 9) Armor (15 PD/15 ED), Hardened (+1/4) (56 Active Points); Visible (-1/4)

11 10) Damage Resistance (15 PD/15 ED), Hardened (+1/4) (19 Active Points); Visible (-1/4)

4 11) Knockback Resistance -4" (8 Active Points); Visible (-1/4)

Notes: 6" Total with Growth and Density Increase figured in.

3 12) Lack Of Weakness (-5) for Normal Defense (5 Active Points); Visible (-1/4)

3 13) Lack Of Weakness (-5) for Resistant Defenses (5 Active Points); Visible (-1/4)

7 14) Power Defense (10 points) (10 Active Points)

5 Missile Deflection (Thrown Objects)

Perks

10 Various Contacts & Perks: Custom Perk

Talents

3 Lightning Reflexes: +2 DEX to act first with All Actions

Skills

Everyman Skills

0 1) Acting 8-

0 2) Concealment 8-

0 3) Conversation 8-

0 4) Deduction 8-

0 5) Persuasion 8-

0 6) Shadowing 8-

0 7) Stealth 8-

0 8) TF: Custom Adder, Small Motorized Ground Vehicles

Notes: Custom Mod is Everyman Skill

3 Acrobatics 13-

3 Breakfall 13-

3 Climbing 13-

3 Hoist 12-

2 KS: Art 11-

1 Language: Russian (imitate dialects) (5 Active Points)

3 Language: English (completely fluent)

4 Navigation (Air, Land, Marine) 12-

3 Paramedics 12-

2 PS: Artist 11-

2 TF: Large Planes, Small Planes

5 Quick for his size: Rapid Attack (HTH)

3 Brick Tricks: Power 13-

5 +1 with HTH Combat

20 +2 Overall Skill Levels

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 227

Total Cost: 343

200+ Disadvantages

20 Normal Characteristic Maxima

123 Experience Points

Total Disadvantage Points: 343

Here's the update using Naked Modifiers to apply Hardened to his normal PD + ED. I went ahead and put 0 END on them since it only saves 2 points to not have them.

Colossus

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

20/60 STR 10 13- / 21- Lift 400.0kg/102.4tons; 4d6/12d6 [2/5]

18 DEX 24 13- OCV: 6/DCV: 6

20/40 CON 20 13- / 17-

15/20 BODY 10 12- / 13-

13 INT 3 12- PER Roll 12-

14 EGO 8 12- ECV: 5

20/25 PRE 10 13- / 14- PRE Attack: 4d6/5d6

16 COM 3 12-

8/30 PD 4 Total: 8/30 PD (8/30 rPD)

8/30 ED 4 Total: 8/30 ED (8/30 rED)

4 SPD 12 Phases: 3, 6, 9, 12

8/18 REC 0

40/80 END 0

40/70 STUN 5

Total Characteristic Cost: 113

Movement:

Running: 6"/12"

Leaping: 4"/8"

Swimming: 2"/4"

Cost Powers END

26 Osmium Metalic Form: Life Support (Immunity All terrestrial poisons and chemical warfare agents; Immunity: All terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents; Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum; Self-Contained Breathing) (39 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4), Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4) 4

Notes: Character reverts to normal form if unconscious.

Secondary Powers of Osmium Metalic Form, all slots Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4), Linked (Osmium Metalic Form; Greater Power is Constant or in use most or all of the time; -1/4)

4 1) Growth (+5 STR, +1 BODY, +1 STUN, -1" KB, 180 kg, +0 DCV, +0 PER Rolls to perceive character, 2 m tall, 1 m wide), Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4) (6 Active Points) 1

4 2) Density Increase (200 kg mass, +5 STR, +1 PD/ED, -1" KB), Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4) (6 Active Points) 1

20 3) +30 STR (30 Active Points) 3

27 4) +20 CON (40 Active Points)

5 5) +4 BODY (8 Active Points)

3 6) +5 PRE (5 Active Points)

1 7) +2 ED (2 Active Points)

4 8) Hardened (+1/4) for up to 15 Active Points of PD, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (6 Active Points)

4 9) Hardened (+1/4) for up to 15 Active Points of ED, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (6 Active Points)

32 10) Armor (15 PD/15 ED), Hardened (+1/4) (56 Active Points); Visible (-1/4)

11 11) Damage Resistance (15 PD/15 ED), Hardened (+1/4) (19 Active Points); Visible (-1/4)

3 12) Knockback Resistance -3" (6 Active Points); Visible (-1/4)

Notes: 5" Total with Growth and Density Increase figured in.

3 13) Lack Of Weakness (-5) for Normal Defense (5 Active Points); Visible (-1/4)

3 14) Lack Of Weakness (-5) for Resistant Defenses (5 Active Points); Visible (-1/4)

7 15) Power Defense (10 points) (10 Active Points)

5 Missile Deflection (Thrown Objects)

Perks

10 Various Contacts & Perks: Custom Perk

Talents

3 Lightning Reflexes: +2 DEX to act first with All Actions

Skills

Everyman Skills

0 1) Acting 8-

0 2) Concealment 8-

0 3) Conversation 8-

0 4) Deduction 8-

0 5) Persuasion 8-

0 6) Shadowing 8-

0 7) Stealth 8-

0 8) TF: Custom Adder, Small Motorized Ground Vehicles

Notes: Custom Mod is Everyman Skill

3 Acrobatics 13-

3 Breakfall 13-

3 Climbing 13-

3 Hoist 12-

2 KS: Art 11-

1 Language: Russian (imitate dialects) (5 Active Points)

3 Language: English (completely fluent)

4 Navigation (Air, Land, Marine) 12-

3 Paramedics 12-

2 PS: Artist 11-

2 TF: Large Planes, Small Planes

5 Quick for his size: Rapid Attack (HTH)

3 Brick Tricks: Power 13-

15 +3 with HTH Combat

10 +1 Overall Skill Level

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 237

Total Cost: 350

200+ Disadvantages

20 Normal Characteristic Maxima

130 Experience Points

Total Disadvantage Points: 350

I double Hardened his DEF because I only heard mention of him taking what would be considered BODY damage in the Marvel Universe once in some 30 odd years of his character's exsistance.

My memory was that he suffered numerous equivalents of body damage when fighting that whirlwind dude who was trying to off all the Morlocks.

But anyways, to the point of your comment, I think that double hardening is a bit over the top. You could probably get by with hardened. With one level of hardened at the levels you are discussing, you are taking about a 90 AP attack to draw body on average.

With HM's version it is even higher.