Speed disguise

MarkusDark

Okey, a very simple concept that is screwing up my head...

I figure that a character travelling at great speeds become a blur - so much so that recognizing him would be difficult. So Joe, in his Secret ID does a quick run from point A to point B in his secret ID but because he moves so fast, no one can ID him.

I first thought invisibility, but that isn't quite right. Then I thought the Disguise skill but it also didn't seem appropriate - rolling everytime he ran to hide himself. Finally, I am thinking of Change Environment to add some negs to the Per roll but again, not fitting the mold.

Has anyone created such a SFX that would work? Could it be a minor transformation (such as Instant Change) with a 'only while running' modifier?

As a GM I would probably define the disguise as a natural effect of his speed SFX. So long as he was in motion I would apply penalties to perception rolls made to identify him.

If you want a point based way you could:

Buy him the disguise skill with the limitation (only in motion -x) and by it up to 15- (or higher)

Or

Buy him perception skill levels (not for self, usable against others)

Or

You could buy images, self only, SFX "I'm a big blur"

Or

Shapeshift, vision only, doesn't affect people travelling at relative speed and trajectory

Or

I'm sure there are others

I'd call it SFX unless it had a noticeable impact on combat or skill use. I've come across the situation of a character using a random power to conceal his Secret ID before, and they're usually pretty balanced and a nice change of pace from, "No one can recognize me because I'm not wearing my glasses!"

My favorite example is the character who'd bought Visible on his END Reserve, which he defined as a swirling mass of stars that orbited his head. Not only did this mean that opponents could tell when he was running out of juice for his powers, but if he ever used up all of his END, his Secret ID would be compromised.

Originally posted by Lord Liaden

I agree, leave it to SFX. This effect has no more in-game impact than putting on a mask to hide your appearance, and no one expects a character to be charged points for that. ;)

Do they? :eek:

It depends on the effect. If the character is identifiable by thier "streak" then no, but if they move so fast you cant tell who they are at all, then its a form of invisability. Personally, I think that the Bright Fringe limitation in FREd is custom made for exactly this type of ability.