WWII Era Superheroes and Villains

OddHat

SatinKitty's PC in a WWII game I'll be running tonight.

AMERICAN ANGEL (BETSY ANNE BURKE)

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

60 STR 50 21- Lift 102.4tons; 12d6 [6]

20 DEX 30 13- OCV: 7/DCV: 7

28 CON 36 15- To Hit Roll 18-

13 BODY 6 12-

18 INT 8 13- PER Roll 13-

10 EGO 0 11- ECV: 3

15 PRE 5 12- PRE Attack: 3d6

16 COM 3 12-

12+12 PD 0 Total: 12/24 PD (0/12 rPD)

12+12 ED 6 Total: 12/24 ED (0/12 rED)

4 SPD 10 Phases: 3, 6, 9, 12

18 REC 0

56 END 0

57 STUN 0 Total Characteristic Cost: 154

Movement: Running: 6"/12"

Leaping: 15"/60"

Swimming: 2"/4"

Cost Powers END

45 Nothing less than a bursting shell could pierce her skin: Armor (12 PD/12 ED), Hardened (+¼) (45 Active Points)

60 A Woman of Steel: (Total: 60 Active Cost, 60 Real Cost) Energy Damage Reduction, Resistant, 50% (Real Cost: 30) plus Physical Damage Reduction, Resistant, 50% (Real Cost: 30)

33 Strange Blood: Healing 2 BODY, Can Heal Limbs, Resurrection, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½), Persistent (+½) (90 Active Points); Extra Time (Regeneration-Only) 1 Turn (Post-Segment 12) (-1 ¼), Self Only (-½)

13 Great Leaps: Leaping +3" (15" forward, 7 ½" upward) (Accurate, x4 Noncombat) 1

5 An Incredible Mind: Eidetic Memory

10 Uncanny Senses: (Total: 10 Active Cost, 10 Real Cost) Nightvision (Real Cost: 5) plus Rapid ( x10) with Sight Group (Real Cost: 5)

11 Remarkable Vitality: Life Support (Extended Breathing: 1 END per Turn; Longevity: 200 Years; Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum)

Skills

3 A Natural Athlete: Acrobatics 13-

3 Speed and Grace: Breakfall 13-

3 A Quick Mind: Deduction 13-

3 Nurse Training: Paramedics 13-

3 Linguist

0 1) Language: English (idiomatic; literate) (5 Active Points)

1 2) Language: French (completely fluent) (3 Active Points)

1 3) Language: German (completely fluent) (3 Active Points)

2 4) Language: Italian (completely fluent) (3 Active Points)

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 196

Total Cost: 350

200+ Disadvantages

15 Social Limitation: Secret ID: American Angel (Frequently, Major)

15 Social Limitation: Subject to Orders (Frequently, Major)

15 Hunted: Axis Supers 8- (Mo Pow, Harshly Punish)

20 Hunted: The Thule Society 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)

15 Hunted: The OSS 11- (Mo Pow, NCI, Watching)

15 Distinctive Features: Metahuman (Not Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable By Simple Tests)

15 Psychological Limitation: Patriotic (Common, Strong)

15 Psychological Limitation: Heroic Code (Common, Strong)

Notes: Protect the innocent, do not lie for selfish gain, keep your word, help others

15 Psychological Limitation: Soft spot for outsiders and underdogs (Very Common, Moderate)

10 Dependent NPC: Sally Sandowski, the Action Girl! 14- (As powerful as the PC)

Total Disadvantage Points: 350

Background/History: Born in New York to Nurse Elsie and Dr. Louis Burke in 1920, Betsy Anne was raised in Philadelphia. Growing up around her father's small medical practice, Betsy dreamed of becoming a nurse while nervously concealing her ever growing mental and physical abilities. All that changed when a German American Bundt rally turned into a riot, forcing Betsy to use her incredible strength to protect her family.

Recruited by the fledgling OSS, Betsy was given a costume, a code name, and a cover identity as a nurse on the private staff of Col. Harold Smith. She now serves her country, protecting the nation from threats foreign and domestic, in the guise of the Amazing American Angel!

Betsy has acquired a sidekick, Sally Sandowski the "Action Girl". See character sheet.

Personality/Motivation: In many ways a typical girl of her time, idealistic and patriotic to a fault, Betsy's cheerful demeanor masks the feelings of isolation that her powers have instilled in her. Her childhood idol was the turn of the century strongwoman Sandowina, and Betsy has come to treasure tales of circus folk, mystery men, and others on the edges of respectable society. Betsy enjoys helping others, and is at her core a young woman of principle.

Quote: You can't hurt me. Give up and you'll be well treated.

Powers/Tactics: Superhumanly strong and almost indestructible by conventional means, Betsy is also possessed of incredibly sharp senses and a remarkably keen mind. Early in her career her main tactic is to hit people and tip vehicles over onto their sides, but with time her tactics should improve.

Betsy is a trained nurse, learns languages quickly, and almost never forgets anything she makes a conscious effort to remember. She can see as well in the dark as most people can in bright daylight, and absorbs visual information much faster than most people. These traits make her a competent detective.

Campaign Use: The origins of Betsy's powers are a mystery that will be unraveled during the campaign.

Appearance: A compact but very fit and attractive young woman, with hair so black as to be almost blue and brown eyes. Wears a nurse's uniform or conservative street clothes. As American Angel wears one of several uniforms with a military cut, featuring a blue jacket and trousers, red boots and helmet, white belt, gloves and blouse, and a red half face mask. Public relations uniforms swap out the trousers for a skirt and the helmet for a nurses cap. Her shoulder insignia is a stylized angel in white.

Character by Robert Dorf, 2007.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: WWII Era Superheroine: American Angel

SatinKitty's PC in a WWII game I'll be running tonight.

A good solid Superman-oid. 350 points works well for Golden Age characters, IMHO.

One issue that has been bugging me about these kinds of characters is whether or not to buy Immunity to disease for them. I keep finding myself treating it as 10 points with little game effect that I can trim off...

The other thing I keep wanting to do is to build a character like this with a Multipower, to make it easy to start growing all the neat extra powers Superman started to develop! Unfortunately the need to buy all the other stuff tends to close this option off. It might work for a 450 point version, or perhaps an OIHID variant.

In any case, your character looks just fine. I hope Satin Kitty enjoys playing her!

A good solid Superman-oid. 350 points works well for Golden Age characters, IMHO.

One issue that has been bugging me about these kinds of characters is whether or not to buy Immunity to disease for them. I keep finding myself treating it as 10 points with little game effect that I can trim off...

The other thing I keep wanting to do is to build a character like this with a Multipower, to make it easy to start growing all the neat extra powers Superman started to develop! Unfortunately the need to buy all the other stuff tends to close this option off. It might work for a 450 point version, or perhaps an OIHID variant.

In any case, your character looks just fine. I hope Satin Kitty enjoys playing her!

Thanks.

Full Life Support is just too much cost for too little benefit at the 350 point level in a WWII setting, unless the GM really wants to throw the PCs into some dark scenarios (I'm GMing; in this case, I don't). With her defenses and a 28 CON, she should hold up pretty well against most diseases and poisons anyway.

My 350 point Superman types do often include a MP, but in this case I wanted to stick to the jumping brick build.

The As-Powerful "Side Kick"

ACTION GIRL (SALLY SANDOWSKI)

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

10 STR 0 11- Lift 100.0kg; 2d6

20 DEX 30 13- OCV: 7/DCV: 7

13 CON 6 12-

10 BODY 0 11-

13 INT 3 12- PER Roll 12-

10 EGO 0 11- ECV: 3

13 PRE 3 12- PRE Attack: 2 ½d6

14 COM 2 12-

3 PD 1 Total: 3 PD (0 rPD)

3 ED 0 Total: 3 ED (0 rED)

4 SPD 10 Phases: 3, 6, 9, 12

5 REC 0

26 END 0

22 STUN 0 Total Characteristic Cost: 55

Movement: Running: 6"/12"

Leaping: 2"/4"

Tunneling: 1"/2"

Cost Powers END

The Luckiest Girl in the World

25 1) You missed!: +5 with DCV

36 2) It Only Grazed Me: (Total: 72 Active Cost, 36 Real Cost) Combat Luck (6 PD/6 ED) (Real Cost: 12) plus Energy Damage Reduction, Resistant, 50% (30 Active Points); Restrainable (-½), BODY Only (-½), Limited Power Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (Not vs self inflicted damage; -¼), Nonpersistent (-¼) (Real Cost: 12) plus Physical Damage Reduction, Resistant, 50% (30 Active Points); Restrainable (-½), BODY Only (-½), Limited Power Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (Not vs self inflicted damage; -¼), Nonpersistent (-¼) (Real Cost: 12)

Notes: Attacks might hit the character and even knock her unconscious, but so long as she's awake and mobile she rarely takes more than superficial damage from any form of trauma.

30 3) Forerunners: Luck 6d6

Notes: The subtle psychic ability to re-write reality towards desirable outcomes.

18 4) Flux Potential: Endurance Reserve (120 END, 6 REC) (18 Active Points)

Notes: Random probability can only be nudged so much in any given period of time; eventually, luck will run out.

27 5) I just got lucky: +4 Overall (40 Active Points); Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -¼), Limited Power Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (Only in situations where luck might help; -¼) 4

132 Karmic Powers: Variable Power Pool, 60 base + 72 control cost, Cosmic (+2) (150 Active Points); Only Luck Powers Slightly Limited (-¼)

0 1) Enviromental Mayham: Energy Blast 6d6, Side Effects (Side Effect always occurs whenever the character does some specific act; +0), Only Does Knockdown (+0), Indirect (Any origin, always fired away from attacker; +½), Invisible Power Effects, Source Only (Fully Invisible; +½) (60 Active Points); OIF (Enviroment Of Opportunity) (-½), Limited Range (25") (-¼) Real Cost: 34 6

0 2) Malfunction: Dispel Technological Object 11d6, One At A Time (+¼), Invisible Power Effects, Source Only (Fully Invisible; +½) (58 Active Points); Limited Range (25") (-¼) Real Cost: 46 6

0 3) Slip, Trip, And Fall: Change Environment 2" radius, -5 to DEX Roll, Personal Immunity (+¼) (27 Active Points); Instant (-½), Limited Range (25") (-¼) Real Cost: 15 3

0 4) Unlucky Break: Major Transform 2d6 (Person into Person with 3d6 Unluck), Invisible Power Effects (Fully Invisible; +1) (60 Active Points); Limited Target Humans (-½) Real Cost: 40 6

0 5) It was already open: Tunneling 1" through 16 DEF material, Fill In (May close door again) (60 Active Points); Only versus doors Power loses about half of its effectiveness (-1) Real Cost: 30 6

0 6) I Got Loose: Desolidification (40 Active Points); Does Not Protect Against Damage (-1), Instant (-½), Cannot Pass Through Solid Objects (-½), Limited Power Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (Only if luck could help; -¼) Real Cost: 12 4

Notes: Only to escape from chains, bonds, grabs, etc

0 7) Lucky Punch: Hand-To-Hand Attack +6d6, Armor Piercing (+½), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½) (60 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-½) Real Cost: 40

0 8) Lucky Throw: Energy Blast 8d6, Armor Piercing (+½) (60 Active Points); OIF (Object of Opportunity; -½), Range Based On Strength (-¼) Real Cost: 34 6

Notes: Action Girl can throw almost any object to surprisingly good effect

0 9) Lucky Shot: Killing Attack - Ranged 3d6-1, No Range Modifier (+½) (60 Active Points); OIF (Ranged Weapon of Opportunity; -½) Real Cost: 40 6

Notes: Action Girl is a remarkably good shot with any weapon

0 10) Throw Sand: Sight Group Flash 6d6 (30 Active Points); Limited Range (-¼) Real Cost: 24 3

0 11) They just didn't notice me: Invisibility to Sight and Hearing Groups (25 Active Points); Only When Not Attacking (-½), Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Can only disapear when not under direct observation; -½) Real Cost: 12 2

Skills

3 But I'm innocent!: Acting 12-

3 Please, believe me!: Persuasion 12-

3 I was just looking around: Stealth 13-

3 Where you going?: Shadowing 12-

3 I'm a boy!: Disguise 12-

3 Hey! Look what I found!: Concealment 12-

3 I'm OK!: Breakfall 13-

3 Say, how did that get in there?: Sleight Of Hand 13-

1 I used to see pop doing that : KS: Stage Magic 8-

0 Language: English (idiomatic; literate) (5 Active Points)

2 Language: Polish (fluent conversation)

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 295

200+ Disadvantages

15 Social Limitation: 14 year old girl (Frequently, Major)

15 Social Limitation: Secret ID (Frequently, Major)

10 Hunted: Col. Harold Smith 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Watching)

15 Hunted: Thule Society 8- (Mo Pow, Capture)

15 Hunted: Axis Supers 8- (Mo Pow, Capture)

10 Dependent NPC: Older Brother, Lieutenant Jack Sandowski 8- (Normal; Useful Noncombat Position or Skills; Unaware of character's adventuring career/Secret ID)

20 Unluck: 4d6

Notes: As much as things usually go well for Sally, sometimes they go hideously badly

15 Psychological Limitation: Risk Taker (Very Common, Moderate)

Notes: Believes that the more she pushes her luck, the luckier she gets.

10 Psychological Limitation: Hero Worship of American Angel (Common, Moderate)

10 Psychological Limitation: Loves her Big Brother (Uncommon, Strong)

15 Psychological Limitation: Heroic Code (Very Common, Moderate)

Background/History: In July of 1940 Jack Sandowski, only son of stage magicians Conrad and Olga Sandowski, announced that he was leaving the USA to serve as a volunteer in the RAF. Only his then thirteen year old sister, Sally Sandowski, came to the docks to see him off. In September of 1940 Jack's father suffered a massive stroke. Though he survived, Conrad was confined to bed and unable to work. With the family in desperate straits, Sally Sandowski determined that she would go to England and find her older brother. Letting her mother believe that she had found work with a travelling circus, Sally departed on October 31st.

Sally had always been exceptionally lucky, but in the course of her journey her luck soon approached the impossible. Using a series of disguises and often posing as a boy, Sally made it all the way to England only to find that her brother was missing. In the course of her search, Sally discovered a band of Axis sabeteurs on British soil and, with the aid of Mystery Woman American Angel, defeated them. Inspired, Sally determined to take on the identity of Action Girl!

Now assisted by American Angel and with the consent if not the approval of Col. Harold Smith, Action Girl fights the Axis powers and protects the innocent in her own way while continuing to searc for her beloved brother.

Personality/Motivation: Overconfident and impulsive, Sally's family crisis and the looming war have forced Sally to mature beyond her years. She loves her brother, and sees American Angel a surogate big sister. Sally is committed to fighting the Germans and protecting the innocent,

As a side effect of the emergence of her powers, Sally believes that the more she pushes her luck, the luckier she becomes, This can quickly lead to her getting in over her head.

Quote: Alright boys, ready for action?

Powers/Tactics: Action Girl is unusually strong for her size and age, and has the speed and grace of a skilled circus performer. Her stagecraft is considerable, and when allied with her luck makes her an exceptional spy and courier.

Sally's main power is the ability to consciously and subconsciously percieve the future and manipulate probability. This gives her amazing, almost impossible luck, and allows her to cause events to go catastrophically wrong for other people. The range of Luck Effects Sally has displayed is extraordinary, from moving in and out of secure locations without anyone hapenning to look her way to negotiating pitched gun battles without so much as a scratch. Sally has even been known to knock grown men unconscious with a single blow from her bare fist, despite having no extraordinary strength. Sally has also been known to find an unguarded and fully fueled car with the key in the ignition when she needed one, to have doors just happen to be open when she needed to go through, and to have a soldier's gun suffer a misfire when he otherwise would have shot her at point blank range.

As Action Girl, Sally will usually charge through the thick of a fight, trusting her luck to keep her safe while seeking oportunities to set up oponents for her partner.

Reality can only take so much manipulation in a given period of time; if Sally over-taxes her powers, either through over use or through extraordinary applications, her luck may run out (her END pool may be exhasted). At such times, none of her luck powers will function, not even those that cost zero END.

Campaign Use: Sidekick, or viable heroine with minor tweaks.

Appearance: A boyish fourteen year old blonde, Sally keeps her hair cut short and deliberately downplays her appearance. As Action Girl, Sally wears a tailored red jumpsuit with white piping, a blue jacket, and a blue cowl with a half face mask. She has numerous other costumes for USO appearances and war bond rallies.

Character by Robert Dorf, 2007

A good case could be made that Action Girl is too powerful to be considered a DNPC, and should be purchased as a follower instead. My own point of view is that her specific weaknesses make her vulnerable at the GMs whim and likely to get into trouble, and that as a DNPC rather than a Follower she falls entirely under the GMs control. This reduces the risk that she'll overshadow PCs or fail to fill her role.

Some random thoughts on villainy:

I'll probably end up using some of the supervillains from the Algernon Files: Fires of War in this game, but I'm also looking through Jess Nevins Pulp Encyclopedia for German and Italian Pulp characters that would make good WWII era Axis Supers. I'd like characters that carry a sense of authenticity, a feeling that a young Italian or German of the period would see this character as a Hero. I have my Japanese supers set up already.

I could go the Germanic Myth route, and probably will for some characters, but I'd like to try the Pulp approach. The earliest German true superhero I can find doesn't show up until 1945, but some of the pulp heroes and villains have enough weird powers to serve with moderate tweaking.

Sun Koh and a grandson of Captain Mors are definitely in for a start.

My Character for Oddhats WWII Game

American Eagle

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

30 STR 20 15- Lift 1600.0kg; 6d6 HTH damage

24 DEX 42 14- OCV: 8/DCV: 8

25 CON 30 14-

15 BODY 10 12-

13 INT 3 12- PER Roll 12-

12 EGO 4 11- ECV: 4

20 PRE 10 13- PRE Attack: 4d6

12 COM 1 11-

15 PD 9 Total: 15/23 PD (10/18 rPD)

15 ED 10 Total: 15/23 ED (10/18 rED)

6 SPD 26 Phases: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12

11 REC 0

50 END 0

45 STUN 2 Total Characteristics Cost: 167

Movement: Run: 6"/NC"

Swim: 2"/NC"

Cost Powers END

20 Wings: Multipower, 30-point reserve, all slots: (30 Active Points); Restrainable (-1/2)

2u 1) Gliding 20", Position Shift, x4 Noncombat (30 Active Points)

2u 2) Flight 15" (30 Active Points) 3

13 Gauntlets: Multipower, 20-point reserve, all slots: (20 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)

1u 1) Hand-To-Hand Attack +4d6 (20 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2), OIF (-1/2) 2

1u 2) Missile Deflection (Any Ranged Attack) (20 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)

10 Tough Body: Damage Resistance (10 PD/10 ED)

16 Armored Costume: Armor (8 PD/8 ED) (24 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)

12 Augmented Body: Life Support , Expanded Breathing, Safe in High Pressure, Safe in Intense Cold, Safe in Intense Heat, Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum

25 Eagle Eyes: Find Weakness 14- (Single Attack)

5 Eagle Eyes: Enhanced Perception (+5 to PER Rolls for Single Sense)

6 Eagle Eyes: Telescopic +4 to PER Rolls (only to offset the Range Modifier) (Sight Group)

Talents

3 Bump Of Direction

15 Combat Sense 12-

Skills

3 Acrobatics 14-

3 Breakfall 14-

4 AK: America 13-

3 Paramedics 12-

3 Tactics 12-

5 KS: Axis & AlliedSuperhumans 14-

6 Navigation (Air) 14-

10 +2 with HTH Combat

7 +2 with DCV (10 Active Points); Limited Power Only While Flying, Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (-1/2)

8 Defense Maneuver: I-III

Total Powers & Skills Cost: 183

200+ Disadvantages

5 Dependent NPC: American Steel 8- (Slightly Less Powerful than the PC)

10 Dependent NPC: Maya Rodgers 8- (Normal)

20 Distinctive Features: Giant Bird Wings (Not Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

15 Hunted: US Government 11- (Mo Pow; Watching; Extensive Non-Combat Influence)

25 Hunted by Axis Villians: 11- (Mo Pow; Harshly Punish; Extensive Non-Combat Influence)

20 Psychological Limitation: Honorable (Common; Total)

20 Psychological Limitation: Patriot (Common; Total)

5 Rivalry: Professional (other Patriots; Rival is As Powerful; Seek to Outdo; Rival Aware of Rivalry)

15 Social Limitation: Public ID (Frequently; Major)

15 Social Limitation: Subject to Orders (Frequently; Major)

2628985720048299431S600x600Q85.jpg2698062760048299431S600x600Q85.jpg

Recruited by the fledgling OSS, Betsy was given a costume, a code name, and a cover identity as a nurse on the private staff of Col. Harold Smith.

Ok...So I have to ask: Is Col Smith an homage to our friendly director

of CURE, who works in the late 1970's and early 1980's with Remo

Williams and Chiun ? An early segment of his career ? :D

-Carl-

Ok...So I have to ask: Is Col Smith an homage to our friendly director

of CURE, who works in the late 1970's and early 1980's with Remo

Williams and Chiun ? An early segment of his career ? :D

-Carl-

Smith starts off as a handler for allied Mystery Men in WWII, then when the OSS splits into the NSA, CIA, and OSI, Smith takes the OSI director's position. When Oscar Goldman takes over the OSI director's chair in the 60s, Smith takes the position of head of CURE. In this timeline, Remo and Chiun weren't the first Superhumans Smith had to manage.

;)

In the Destroyer books, cannon has Smith as an OSS agent with the nick name "The Grey Ghost" during WWII; seemed like a fun idea to make him the head of America's Mystery Man recruitment program.

Is Action Girl's "Throw Sand" power supposed to be OIF (sand of opportunity), or is she simply assumed to always have some sand (or similar substance) present at all times due to her luck?

Also, would "Not Vs Desolid" be appropriate since it's a physical flash (assuming Desoli is common enough in the game to warrant that lim)?

Is Action Girl's "Throw Sand" power supposed to be OIF (sand of opportunity), or is she simply assumed to always have some sand (or similar substance) present at all times due to her luck?

Also, would "Not Vs Desolid" be appropriate since it's a physical flash (assuming Desoli is common enough in the game to warrant that lim)?

It's sand, dirt, flour, or other appropriate material of opportunity; not vs desolid makes sense, but I don't see them running into enough desolid characters for it to be worth listing.

Sample villain. Tried to keep him in tune with the Sci-Fi of the times.

DER THEOZOA MENSCH / THE THEOZOA MAN - ROLF MUND

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

30 STR 20 15- Lift 1600.0kg; 6d6 [3]

17 DEX 21 12- OCV: 6/DCV: 6

43 CON 66 18-

20 BODY 20 13-

18 INT 8 13- PER Roll 13-

14 EGO 8 12- ECV: 5

18 PRE 8 13- PRE Attack: 3 ½d6

14 COM 2 12-

10+20 PD 4 Total: 30 PD (20 rPD)

10+20 ED 1 Total: 30 ED (20 rED)

4 SPD 13 Phases: 3, 6, 9, 12

15 REC 0

86 END 0

57 STUN 0 Total Characteristic Cost: 173

Movement: Running: 7"/14"

Flight: 10"/20"

Leaping: 6"/12"

Teleportation: 11"/2816"

Cost Powers END

48 Wounds Close, Breaks Heal: Armor (20 PD/20 ED) (60 Active Points); Does Not Prevent Penetration Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (Calculate bleeding and disabling effects before applying this armor; -¼)

Notes: Mund's body heals almost as quickly as it is damaged. This process is accompanied by a crackling of electricity as wounds mend.

14 Life Beyond the Flesh: Healing 2 BODY, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½), Persistent (+½) (40 Active Points); Extra Time (Regeneration-Only) 1 Turn (Post-Segment 12) (-1 ¼), Self Only (-½)

10 Theozoa Affinity: Teleportation: Floating Fixed Location (2 Locations)

40 Theozoan Powers: Multipower, 60-point reserve, (60 Active Points); all slots Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -½)

4u 1) Transcendence of the Flesh: (Total: 60 Active Cost, 40 Real Cost) Desolidification (affected by Electricity, Light) (40 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -½) (Real Cost: 27) plus Flight 10" (20 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -½) (Real Cost: 13) 12

Notes: Rolf takes the form of a living ball of apparently electrical energy

3u 2) Bridge of Lightning: Teleportation 6", x256 Noncombat, Safe Blind Teleport (+¼) (59 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -½), Visible Path (-¼) 12

1u 3) Far Projection: Teleportation 5", Safe Blind Teleport (+¼), MegaScale (1" = 10,000 km; +1 ¼), Can Be Scaled Down 1" = 1km (+¼) (27 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -½), Visible Path (-¼) 6

4u 4) Lightning Wrath: Killing Attack - Ranged 3d6-1, No Range Modifier (+½) (60 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -½) 12

4u 5) Power in my hands: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 3d6-1 (4d6 w/STR), Penetrating (+½) (60 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -½) 12

4u 6) Drink the Mind: Telepathy 12d6 (60 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -½) 12

Perks

3 Fringe Benefit: Lieutenant

Skills

A trained soldier

1 1) PS: Soldier 8-

2 2) WF: Small Arms

2 3) TF: Common Motorized Ground Vehicles

3 An Educated Man

1 1) KS: Aryan Theory (2 Active Points) 11-

1 2) KS: German Military (2 Active Points) 11-

1 3) KS: Mad Science (2 Active Points) 11-

A skilled spy

3 1) Acting 13-

3 2) Persuasion 13-

3 3) PS: Spycraft 13-

3 4) Disguise 13-

3 5) Interrogation 13-

6 A deadly fighter: +2 with Block, HKA, Lightning Bolt

3 Linguist

2 1) Language: English (idiomatic) (4 Active Points)

2 2) Language: French (idiomatic) (4 Active Points)

0 3) Language: German (idiomatic; literate) (5 Active Points)

3 4) Language: Italian (idiomatic) (4 Active Points)

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 177

200+ Disadvantages

15 Hunted: German Military 11- (Mo Pow, NCI, Watching)

10 Hunted: Thule Society 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Watching)

10 Hunted: ONT 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Watching)

15 Hunted: Allied Supers 8- (Mo Pow, Harshly Punish)

15 Social Limitation: Subject to Orders (Frequently, Major)

10 Social Limitation: Too Many Masters (Occasionally, Major)

Notes: The ONT, Thule Society, and German Military all have a claim on Mund's loyalty and service; these three groups do not always see eye to eye.

10 Physical Limitation: Blackouts, Visions (Frequently, Slightly Impairing)

15 Unluck: 3d6 (Strange Compulsions)

Notes: Mund frequently finds himself compelled to take actions he does not understand, many of them extraordinarily strange. This can cause serious problems on a mission or in daily life.

20 Psychological Limitation: German Patriot. Devoted ot the ONT, Grateful to the Thule Society (Very Common, Strong)

15 Psychological Limitation: Fears he is going mad, seeks understanding or a cure (Common, Strong)

5 Psychological Limitation: Sometimes becomes lost in the roles he plays, at least for a while. (Uncommon, Moderate)

10 Psychological Limitation: True Believer (Uncommon, Strong)

Background/History: Some say life, here, began out there. Jorg Liebenfels of the Ordo Novo Templi (ONT) believed that to be true. The Aryan races were not of the blood of other men; they were decendants of space gods, the Theozoa, electric beings that transcended the physical to attain the divine. The resources of the ONT were devoted to proving Liebenfels' theory, and in a breeding experiment carried out in 1908 they may have done just that.

Rolf Mund's parents were of purest Aryan stock, their faith in the ONT beyond question. His father did not survive his unnatural conception. His mother did not survive his birth. Raised by the ONT, Rolf was taught that his uncanny powers were to be used in the service of the German people. He was the chosen instrument of the Theozoa, their purest descendant, destined to lead the world to a glorious new age. He has tried all his life to believe that. Still, there are times when he has heard other voices, electric whispers in the sky and the night, that suggest his destiny may be something quite different.

The experiments that created Mund made use of technology salvaged from the Martian invasion of 1898 and adapted by the American Nicolai Tesla. The equipment did not survive its first and only use, and the death of Mund's father convinced Tesla to refuse further involvement in the ONT. The ONT has tried to duplicate the experiment since, without success. As the war loomed, the Thules Society, acting on behalf of the SS, inducted Mund into the Ubermenschen program. Mund was grateful, though his handlers were not. Now Mund serves his masters and helps the war effort, secure in the knowledge that he is building a better world.

Personality/Motivation: Mund is a German Patriot and a dedicated member of both the ONT and the Nazi Party; should the two come into conflict, it's difficult to guess where Mund's loyalties would lie. He believes that the world will enter a new golden age with the rise of the Aryan people, and is willing to do absolutely anything to see that age arrive.

Mund enjoys the roles he plays when acting as a spy, and has been known to become overly immersed in them. He is not particularly cruel or sadistic, but is willing to do whatever needs to be done for the cause, and has no sympathy for non-Aryans.

Mund tries to conceal the voices he hears, his blackouts, and his occasional, unnatural compulsions. They frighten him deeply. An offer of help by a PC Mund believes able to answer his questions might draw him out. At the time the campaign begins, Mund tries to deal with his fears regarding his own sanity by throwing himself heart and soul into the Nazi cause.

Mund is probably mad, but tries not to show it.

Quote: I see. Why don't you tell me more?

I transcend the flesh!

Powers/Tactics: Rolf Mund is a well trained spy and an adequate soldier, well educated and able to speak multiple languages without a discernible accent. He's a reasonably good actor, skilled with disguises, persuasive, and a trained interrogator. He's far stronger and tougher than a man his size should be, and has the speed and precision of a highly trained combatant. Even without his powers, he would be an asset to the German cause. With his powers, he becomes a deadly threat to the allies.

Mund's body is permeated by an occult energy that resembles electricity, granting him remarkable abilities. He recovers instantly from all but the most severe of wounds (though his limbs may still be severed and will not regrow) and can endure amazing amounts of physical trauma without impairment. By feeding energy into his hands, he can melt through stone or steel, and by projecting his energies outwards he can strike at a distance. He is even able to give his body over entirely to "Theozoa Electricity", becoming a ball of pulsing light that may then travel slowly or with lighting speed virtually anywhere. Even human thoughts may not be concealed from Mund; he is able to read minds almost at will. These abilities make him both a dangerous enemy on the battlefield and an almost unequaled spy and courier. His main weakness is that the use of his powers can be exhausting; Mund is rarely able to continue combat at full efficiency for any length of time. For this reason, he prefers to strike quickly, and then flee.

Campaign Use: Spy and foil for the PCs, and a reasonable battlefield foe. I was trying to go for a character whose power set approached what the German propagandists and sci fi writers believed in; Mund was the result. He's actually a bit less powerful on the offense and more powerful defensively than a "Theozoa" should be, but he's playable and I think has the right flavor.

Appearance: Medium height and weight, very well muscled, brown hair and eyes. Dresses appropriately for his role. In combat, wears a number of garish costumes with a lightning theme.

Character by Robert Dorf, 2007

Some random thoughts on villainy:

I'll probably end up using some of the supervillains from the Algernon Files: Fires of War in this game, but I'm also looking through Jess Nevins Pulp Encyclopedia for German and Italian Pulp characters that would make good WWII era Axis Supers.

Sun Koh and a grandson of Captain Mors are definitely in for a start.

Me not good looking at thing on inter-net. Are there easy to find link-type thing?:help:

Me not good looking at thing on inter-net. Are there easy to find link-type thing?:help:

Jess Nevins Pulp Pages can be found here. German Heroes start under G, Italian under I. The character above was actually an original based on the real world ONT's propaganda. http://www.geocities.com/jjnevins/pulpsg.html

The Algernon Files can be found here. Fires of War is their WWII supplement. http://www.blackwyrm.com/Products.htm