Rant? Speed in Hero

Re: Rant? Speed in Hero

I had this argument over Jet Li's The One. I argued that Li's character just used a lot of sweep maneuvers and built his attacks with Area Of Effect.....

Yeah, totally...also a "flury of blows" might be one action...(Offensive strike: "A blur of strikes) also Movie action is differant from Comic book action in how it's shown....

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had this argument over Jet Li's The One. I argued that Li's character just used a lot of sweep maneuvers and built his attacks with Area Of Effect.....

I would suggest that it's more basic than that. Any sort of combat chart progresses through it's interpretations of people's actions, assigning values to abilities starting with the least capable combatants and culminating in Jet Li.

I would suggest that it's more basic than that. Any sort of combat chart progresses through it's interpretations of people's actions' date=' assigning values to abilities starting with the least capable combatants and culminating in Jet Li.[/quote']

Taking the Garage Scene at the beginning one version of him took out at least half a dozen (it might have been more) before any of them could act in any way. Giving SWAT members a Speed 3 just to assume they're faster than Joe Average means, using only a Time Chart, that Li's character was hyper-fast.

Bringing into the equation that that particular ability can be simulated with more than just "Speed" in Hero terms - you basically repeated what I said.

I would suggest that it's more basic than that. Any sort of combat chart progresses through it's interpretations of people's actions' date=' assigning values to abilities starting with the least capable combatants and culminating in Jet Li.[/quote']

Maybe, but then you get the player that wants to play a character just like Jet Li....only faster! Dilemma.

Bringing into the equation that that particular ability can be simulated with more than just "Speed" in Hero terms - you basically repeated what I said.

Sort of like the Inigo Montoya vs the lackeys in the hall. Treat the parries as SFX of high DCV, it all happens in a couple of seconds and an autofire or area of effect could easily cover it.

Taking the Garage Scene at the beginning one version of him took out at least half a dozen (it might have been more) before any of them could act in any way. Giving SWAT members a Speed 3 just to assume they're faster than Joe Average means, using only a Time Chart, that Li's character was hyper-fast.

That could be simulated with just a 4 SPD and Sweep/MPA/kooky MA AE: Selective Strike or, if the fight started on Seg 12, that Jet Li had the same SPD and just the highest DEX. SPD has long since stopped representing speed and you have to get obscenely high on the SPD Chart before you get too many phases before a crowd of SPD 3 SWAT Monkeys.

Sort of like the Inigo Montoya vs the lackeys in the hall. Treat the parries as SFX of high DCV' date=' it all happens in a couple of seconds and an autofire or area of effect could easily cover it.[/quote']

That could be simulated with just a 4 SPD and Sweep/MPA/kooky MA AE: Selective Strike or' date=' if the fight started on Seg 12, that Jet Li had the same SPD and just the highest DEX. SPD has long since stopped representing speed and you have to get obscenely high on the SPD Chart before you get too many phases before a crowd of SPD 3 SWAT Monkeys.[/quote']

Ayup on both posts.

Speed really just means how many decisions the Player is going to make in a Turn. Not how many people he's going to hit.

I have an idea. We could dispense with SPD and just use DEX and instead of PD we have something called armor class and instead of having these weird Hero inconsistencies of human reality, what if we just give them hit points have the PC progress, say in something like different levels. Yes, we shall let them improve only when they increase in level...:D

I have an idea. We could dispense with SPD and just use DEX and instead of PD we have something called armor class and instead of having these weird Hero inconsistencies of human reality' date=' what if we just give them hit points have the PC progress, say in something like different levels. Yes, we shall let them improve only when they increase in level...:D[/quote']Bad Mentor! That's just wrong... :tsk:

I have an idea. We could dispense with SPD and just use DEX and instead of PD we have something called armor class and instead of having these weird Hero inconsistencies of human reality' date=' what if we just give them hit points have the PC progress, say in something like different levels. Yes, we shall let them improve only when they increase in level...:D[/quote']

". . .And that's when he was strung up your honor. No sir, I don't remember who brought the rope."