[Character] Weregild - The Viking of Vengeance!

JimLotFP

[b]Weregild - Patrik Österlund[/b]

[b][u]VAL[/u]   [u]CHA[/u]   [u]Cost[/u]   [u]Total[/u]   [u]Roll[/u]      [u]Notes[/u][/b]
20    STR     10   20      13-       HTH Damage 4d6  END [2]
21    DEX     33   21      13-       OCV 7 DCV 7
25    CON     30   25      14-
25    BODY    30   25      14-
13    INT     3   13      12-       PER Roll 12-
21    EGO     22   21      13-       ECV: 7
40    PRE     10   40      17-       PRE Attack: 8d6
10    COM     0   10      11-
10    PD      6   10/17             10/17 PD (0/7 rPD)
10    ED      5   10/17             10/17 ED (0/7 rED)
5    SPD     19   5                 Phases:  3, 5, 8, 10, 12
9    REC     0   9
50    END     0   50
48    STUN    0   48
9    RUN      6   9"                END [2]
2    SWIM     0   2"                END [1]
4    LEAP     0   4"                4" forward, 2" upward

[b]CHA Cost: 174[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]POWERS[/u][/b]
46     [b][i]Hammer of Retribution[/i][/b]: (Total: 115 Active Cost, 46 Real Cost) HA +8d6 (40 Active Points); OAF Unbreakable (-1), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2) (Real Cost: 16) [b]plus[/b] HA +9d6 (45 Active Points); Limited Power Only Against Portals While In Direct Pursuit of a Murderer (-2), OAF Unbreakable (-1), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2) (Real Cost: 10) [b]plus[/b] +5 with Hammer of Retribution (Real Cost: 10) [b]plus[/b] Missile Deflection (Any Ranged Attack) (20 Active Points); OAF (-1) (Real Cost: 10) - END=8
33     [b][i]Fire Cloak[/i][/b]: (Total: 92 Active Cost, 33 Real Cost) HKA 1d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Armor Piercing (+1/2), Affects Desolidified Any form of Desolidification (+1/2), Persistent (+1/2), Damage Shield (+1/2) (52 Active Points); No STR Bonus (-1/2), OIF (-1/2), -2 Decreased STUN Multiplier (-1/2), No Knockback (-1/4) (Real Cost: 19) [b]plus[/b] Sight Group Images 1" radius, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (15 Active Points); Only To Create Light (-1), OIF (-1/2), Linked (HKA; -1/2) (Real Cost: 5) [b]plus[/b] +20 PRE (20 Active Points); Only For Intimidation Based PRE Rolls (-1), OIF (-1/2), Linked (HKA; -1/2) (Real Cost: 7) [b]plus[/b] +1 with DCV (5 Active Points); OIF (-1/2), Linked (HKA; -1/2) (Real Cost: 2) - END=0
30     [b][i]The Dead Cry Out For Vengance![/i][/b]: Entangle 3d6, 3 DEF, Cannot Be Escaped With Teleportation (+1/4), Takes No Damage From Attacks Limited Group (+1/4), Works Against EGO, Not STR (+1/4), Affects Desolidified Any form of Desolidification (+1/2), Indirect (Any origin, any direction; +3/4), BOECV (Mental Defense applies; +1) (120 Active Points); Only Effective Against an Unpunished Murderer When There Is Proof Of His Crime (-1), Eye Contact Required (-1/2), Limited Class Of Minds Human Minds (-1/2), Mental Defense Adds To EGO (-1/2), Cannot Form Barriers (-1/4), Visible (-1/4) - END=12
15     [b][i]Staring Through the Eyes of the Dying[/i][/b]: (Total: 90 Active Cost, 15 Real Cost) Retrocognitive Clairsentience (Hearing, Sight And Touch Groups) (60 Active Points); Retrocognition Only (-1), Only to Experience Last Moments of a Murder Victim's Life (-1), Corpse of the Deceased Must Be Present (-1), Side Effects: Takes the same BODY damage as killing blow against victim (12 BODY max), Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (-1), No Range (-1/2), Concentration (0 DCV; -1/2) (Real Cost: 10) [b]plus[/b] Telepathy 4d6 (Human and Additional Class of Minds classes of minds) (30 Active Points); Only to Experience Last Moments of a Murder Victim's Life (-1), Corpse of the Deceased Must be Present (-1), Receive Only (-1/2), No Range (-1/2), Stops Working If Mentalist Is Stunned (-1/2), Linked (Clairsentience; -1/2), Concentration (0 DCV; -1/2), Does Not Provide Mental Awareness (-1/4) (Real Cost: 5) - END=9
14     [b][i]Chainmail[/i][/b]: Armor (7 PD/7 ED) (21 Active Points); OIF (-1/2) - END=0
11     [b][i]I Know This Area Better Than You[/i][/b]: Teleportation 20" (40 Active Points); Only To Get In Front Of Fleeing Target (-1), Can Only Be Used If Target Is Not Looking At Origination Point, Destination Point, Or Intervening Space (-1), Must Pass Through Intervening Space (-1/4), no Noncombat movement (-1/4) - END=4
10     [b][i]Sign of the Hammer[/i][/b]: Drain COM 1d6, Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per Year; +2 1/2) (35 Active Points); OAF (-1), Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2), Concentration (0 DCV; -1/2), rPD Applies (-1/2) - END=3
4     [b][i]Judgement Passed[/i][/b]: Healing 1 BODY, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (20 Active Points); Only Heals Damage Done By Staring Through the Eyes of the Dying, and Only After The Murderer is Branded By Sign of the Hammer Or Confirmed Dead (-2), Extra Time (Regeneration-Only) 1 Minute (-1 1/2), Self Only (-1/2) - END=0

[b]POWERS Cost: 163[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]SKILLS[/u][/b]
4      Language:  English (idiomatic)
3      Interrogation 17-
3      Climbing 13-
3      Streetwise 17-
0      Language:  Swedish (idiomatic) (4 Active Points)
0      Acting 8-
0      Concealment 8-
0      Conversation 8-
0      Deduction 8-
0      Paramedics 8-
0      Persuasion 8-
0      Shadowing 8-
0      Stealth 8-

[b]SKILLS Cost: 13[/b]

[b][u]Value[/u]  [u]DISADVANTAGES[/u][/b]
20     Psychological Limitation:  Code vs Murder (Common, Total)
20     Psychological Limitation:  Obsessed with Bringing Murderers to Justice (Common, Total)
20     Vulnerability:  2 x STUN Heat/Fire (Common)
15     Social Limitation:  Secret ID: Patrik Österlund (Frequently, Major)
15     Social Limitation:  Homeless (Frequently, Major)
15     Psychological Limitation:  Paranoid: Believes Everyone is a Possible Murderer (Common, Strong)
15     Psychological Limitation:  Believes in the Norse gods (Uncommon, Total)
10     Hunted:  Norse Gods 11- (Mo Pow, Watching)
10     Psychological Limitation:  Justice, not Law (Uncommon, Strong)
5     Enraged:  Confronted with Unpunished Murderer (Uncommon), go 8-, recover 14-
5     Psychological Limitation:  Resentful of Heroes that Don't Suffer for their Powers (Uncommon, Moderate)

[b]DISADVANTAGES Points: 150[/b]

Base Pts: 200
Exp Required: 0
Total Exp Available: 0
Exp Unspent: 0
Total Character Cost: 350

Background/History: Patrik Österlund was a man from Northern Sweden who had moved to the USA in order to become employed with a large corporation and get better tax benefits; as an accountant he was acutely aware of how money could work for or against him. He fell in love, married, had kids, and became a naturalized citizen.

One summer day while he was at work, his home was burglarized - while his family was home. He came home to discover his home ransacked and his wife and four children dead. As he cradled his wife's body and cursed the gods, he was visited by a Valkyrie, sent by the Norse god of revenge (and survivor of Ragnarök), Váli. Österlund was offered the opportunity to be given the power and the tools to identify his family's murderers and bring them to justice... and in exchange, he must agree to then continue identifying and tracking down murderers in the name of justice. Of course he agreed, and experienced his terrible power for the first time.

At first, Patrik was able to balance his normal life and his new responsibilities. But in time, the strain of feeling all those murders, seeing too many unlikely people turn out to be vicious killers. He could no longer deal with a normal life. He quit his job, and now lives on the streets... always looking out for the next killer he can bring to justice.

Personality/Motivation: Patrik is tired. He hates what he does, he hates what it does to him, and he hates being suspicious of everyone around him. But he can not deny that what he does is important. He can not deny that what he does is *good*.

He remembers what he felt when he experienced his family's deaths. He remembers feeling their relief when their murderers were caught. He remembers that every murdered human being has loved ones that grieve for them and cry out for justice.

As Weregild, Patrik will give it to them.

The one thing he will not do is become a murderer himself. If a murderer is killed by accident while fleeing, or in self defense if they are fighting, fine. But Patrik knows all too well what it feels like to be killed in cold blood, and he will not be one to commit such an act. Not now, not ever, no matter what the gods on high think about it. And they hate it. Blood for blood, they say. To Hel with them.

Quote: "..."

Powers/Tactics: Weregild's powers are as horrific as they are fantastic, and it is no wonder that he is weary of the responsibility that goes with them.

Staring Through the Eyes of the Dying - By concentrating near a person's body (including at graveside), he can see, hear, and feel what they experienced as they were killed. The terror they felt, the pain as their bodies were violated by rope, blade, or bullet. Their wounds become his wounds, and as his body bleeds as the victim's body bled, the hunt for the killer begins.

The Dead Cry Out For Vengeance - When a murderer is in sight, Weregild can summon the spirits of his victims to fly to him and surround him, rooting him to the spot in sheer and abject terror.

So relentless is his pursuit of the guilty, and so keen is his awareness of his surroundings, that he can anticipate where murderers are running, and take shortcuts to cut off their escape.

When he has finally caught a murderer, he brands them with The Sign of the Hammer. He has a Thor's Hammer pendant which burns when pressed to the flesh of a murderer. As Weregild's reputation grows, this mark will increasingly be universally known as the mark of a murderer.

When Judgement has been passed - either the marking with the Sign of the Hammer or the death of the murderer, the spirits of the murdered visit Weregild and their joy heals any wounds he took on by using Staring Through the Eyes of the Dying.

He has weapons and armor to aid him in his quest:

His suit of chain mail is a mundane suit of armor, but made of the best modern materials and design.

His Hammer of Retribution is a fearsome magical weapon, capable of delivering mighty blows, and mightier blows still to any door between him and his prey. It is made of indestructible minerals forged by the same Svartalfheimr that forged Mjolnir in ages long past, and can block any attack aimed at Weregild.

His Fire Cloak is a normal looking (and awfully ruddy) cloak until it is commanded to ignite, which gives Weregild an even more threatening visage. Weregild himself is not affected by the flames as long as he is wearing the cloak. The thing also helps obscure his features whether ignited or not, and makes it easier for him to evade attack.

Appearance: Patrik Österlund is an unkempt urban outdoorsman who keeps as clean as he possibly can... but of course true cleanliness is near impossible.

As Weregild, he wears his cloak which obscures his features - even moreso when it is alight! Wearing his chainmail and carrying his war hammer, he is a most fearsome and impressive foe... and may the gods have mercy on the one he seeks.

Re: [Character] Weregild - The Viking of Vengeance!

Don't have time to fully read the character, but I love the name. This guy looks like a Thor-Ghost Rider combo at first glance, which is kind of cool.

Can you post the hdc though, I have a hard time reading characters in the current boards format.

Hmm, I like! Repped!

I particularly like that we've got a Dark Avenger sort here who doesn't kill, and who *isn't* a Batman clone. Good reason for it too... though did he ever slip up and kill, prior to having spent enough time on the receiving end to find it distasteful? *ponders*

Edit: I would rep, but I need to spread it around a bit more.... :(

though did he ever slip up and kill' date=' prior to having spent enough time on the receiving end to find it distasteful? *ponders*[/quote']

I'd imagine he has something of a body count, as fleeing criminals could be more scared than careful, and in the heat of combat a 12d6 whomp upside the head could be a bit... destructive... I'd go so far perhaps as to say he's been involved in deaths that he would *legally* be held responsible for (after all, I suppose to the public that can't get information from the dead, it is looking like he's just stalking random innocent people sometimes), but as far as killing a helpless or surrendering foe, no.

edit: And the Slasher in the HERO System Bestiary really should have had something similar to the teleport power Weregild has. :P

Hmm, I like! Repped!...

...Edit: I would rep, but I need to spread it around a bit more.... :(

Got him for you. Yes, this is a very inventive character; he looks effective, too. Imaginative and different, definitely not your run-of-the-mill Punisher clone.

Looks real cool, but I'd hesitate to have someone like that without some tweakin....basicly he looks like a OAF one trick pony. One disarm and he's in big trouble....I'd suggest Martial arts and a weaker Hammer of revenge! So he is not so hosed when he loses the Hammer...or personally I'd Use OIF : Can resummon hammer with "Crying out for vengance ritual"

Looks real cool' date=' but I'd hesitate to have someone like that without some tweakin....basicly he looks like a OAF one trick pony. One disarm and he's in big trouble....I'd suggest Martial arts and a weaker Hammer of revenge! So he is not so hosed when he loses the Hammer...or personally I'd Use OIF : Can resummon hammer with "Crying out for vengance ritual"[/quote']

The hammer was the last thing I thought of for the character, he was conceptually complete to me without it. I was just going to give him a normal mace (1 1/2d6 HKA out of the Equipment guide).

When I come up with characters, their combat capabilities aren't really interesting to me, nor are concerns such as balance (check out the Active Points I put into powers for all these characters). I just get a concept and execute it as faithfully as I can, fitting it into 350 points.

One thing that turns me off when seeing people talk HERO campaigns is laying out a spread of acceptable attacks and defenses. If combat is such an integral part of a game that it's just not going to be fun if somebody isn't up to snuff isn't going to fit in... ahhh, I'm not much interested.

My Green Lantern/Green Arrow books just came in a few days ago, and the best of those stories had no supervillains. Marvels came in too and, just like in the original comics, the Gwen Stacy stuff was a lot more appealing than Galactus.

I'm getting my HERO game together slowly (superheroes not so popular here in Finland, damn it...)... two players have made characters so far. One is a teleporter. Makes gates. That's all he does. He can go for miles. But he has no real attack, no real defenses. Cool. The other guy has made a brick... literally, a guy that transforms into the consistency of a brick (inspired by Thing). When I asked him how much weight he wants his character to lift, he said "About as much as a big car like an SUV." He's not finished with his character, he spent 275 points and we stopped because he couldn't think of anything else his character needed for his concept. I lent him my Sidekick to see if he gets any other ideas, but right now the brick has 35 STR and 17/7 PD.

It'll keep combats from taking long to resolve, and it'll make it easier to not even need a supervillain every session to provide a challenge, and that's fine with me.

The only thing about HERO that annoys me is how difficult it is to make a character invulnerable to something. If I want to make VOLTAGE, Master of Electricity, it's going to be a lot of points just making sure he can't get electrocuted.

I understand that most superhero games (and RPGs in general) are going to be combat oriented, and that's certainly fine, but I thought I'd explain my character philosophy a bit.

Well, power levels are not an "issue" unless one character gets left off stage while others shine. So a game where 35 str is a "brick" is totally cool. 35 is afterall "more than human".

The concern with the hammer as an "OAF" is fun based as well...if you get your hammer snagged, well you got nothing. Unless bricks run around with 35 STR...then 20 str, no martial arts guy can do stuff. OAF's also are prime offenders of overshadowing other characters...because of the huge price break.

Hero is intentionally made to not do "Invulrable". But if the biggest, baddest energy blast that ever gets thrown is 8D6, then 30ED is pretty close to "invulnrable" you can build it with some ED "raw" and some limited, and your as close as needs be....

Looking at the tiitle of this thread made me think of a Viking themed VILLAIN. A super powerd extortionist armed with a massive battleaxe, horned helmet and chain mail armour called "Danegeld" (spelling probably wrong. Named after the term for the money that the Saxon kingdoms of Britain used to pay to the Vikings so as NOT to get raided !)