Star Hero Tech Project!

NuSoardGraphite

Hey guys!

On the Fantasy Hero board, they have a thread dedicated to people posting the various magic items they've designed (or stolen) for their games. Its grown fairly large and is turning out to be quite an excellent resource for perspective Fantasy Hero GM's who need a quick idea for a magic item to throw at their PC's.

I'd like to start a similar thread here.

Yes, I'm aware that the Spacer's Toolkit is out and with the stuff in the Terran Empire book, there's quite a bit of tech to be had already, but its just a drop in the bucket compared to what our collective imaginations can come up with.

What say you?

Lets get started!

Also, Magic and technology tend to be two sides of the same coin. Power. If I ever run a SH campaign, I'd very likely just rename some of the cool magic gizmos from the FH magic item post, call it a pre-cursor artefact, or item X9-J210 from unknown civilization, change the SFX and run with it. :)

Im sure SH hero itself has a serious list of common SF things like energy swords, blasters, lasers, and High Tech Equipment that are in essence Power's foci.

But new an interesting tiddly bits are always welcome, so lets post some, as soon as I get my %$&*#% book in the mail!

Spacers Toolkit

Ben,

Please don't take down the online toolkit. I am not completely fluent in Hero system, but am trying to work on some ideas to add. Others have indicated that they are planning on contributing, and those are a huge help. I think that contributions will pick up (probably to grow so much that you will probably miss these days when there are none..:) ).

Polaris

Refresh my [failing] memory: Are you looking for SH gizmo's in general, or TE specific gizmos?

TE-specific gizmos.

As we get more settings out, like Alien Wars, I'm sure Ben will expand the online section to include their tech as well.

I noticed on the download RTF file that there's an ATRI rating?

IIRC, that's a tech system rating for TE? As yet, I haven't gotten TE. So, I guess my question is, this stuff doesn't need an ATRI does it? I have a ship I'd like to submit (if I can ever dig it out of my files).

Yes, that's the TE tech rating system. All items submitted to Ben's online compilation should have an ATRI rating, since they're for the TE setting.

Hmmmm.... Ben, what are the submission requirements? I have a ton of good ideas. Is there a format in mind, such as grouped by item type, tech level, etc.?

I'll leave it to Ben to provide specifics, but at the very least I'd say that items should use the format for similar items in TE/STK, and should include an ATRI rating.

Originally posted by Aroooo

Refresh my [failing] memory: Are you looking for SH gizmo's in general, or TE specific gizmos?

Aroooo

At his point in time, yes. Since the power levels haven't been established for pre- and post-Terran Empire yet, and since that is something not in my power to define, I would like to stick with just TE stuff.

Originally posted by Lisa Nadazdy

Hmmmm.... Ben, what are the submission requirements? I have a ton of good ideas. Is there a format in mind, such as grouped by item type, tech level, etc.?

Let me know, I'll write some fun stuff up.

If you go to the Spacer's Toolkit Online page (in the Star Hero section of the site) there are RTF templates for you to use for your submissions.

Make sure it is consistent with TE power levels. If you don't have TE or ST :mad: then you might want to wait for other submissions to show up as examples.

Originally posted by Syberdwarf2

I noticed on the download RTF file that there's an ATRI rating?

IIRC, that's a tech system rating for TE? As yet, I haven't gotten TE. So, I guess my question is, this stuff doesn't need an ATRI does it? I have a ship I'd like to submit (if I can ever dig it out of my files).

What Steve said. :)

Originally posted by Ben Seeman

If you go to the Spacer's Toolkit Online page (in the Star Hero section of the site) there are RTF templates for you to use for your submissions.

Make sure it is consistent with TE power levels. If you don't have TE or ST :mad: then you might want to wait for other submissions to show up as examples.

I have em' both, thanks! I'll cook up some good stuff, you bet!

Liquid Metal Cloak

Liquid Metal Cloak

This appears to be a skin-tight suit of reflective body armor that covers the wearer from neck to the soles of their feet. (its worn over footwear). There are suspiscious looking bulges at the biceps and thigh areas of the suit. When activated, a cloack billows forth from the back of the suit, which constantly flows as if caught in a light breeze...even if there isn't one.

The "Cloak" consists of a large Nanotech colony which is normally housed in the sections at the biceps/thighs and back of the suit. It moves and flows like Liquid Metal (think T-2 or T-3). Nanites are sent into the wearer's body, which link with the operators nervous system, allowing the cloak to be controlled by the wearer's thought processes.

The primary function of the cloak is protection. The suit itself acts like physical armor with a laser resistant coating. The cloak section can flow around the wearer and move to block incomming attacks. The nanotech colony can sense incomming attacks and harden the instant before impact, reducing or (in many cases) completely nullifying damage. This is not an infallible defense however. If the wearer is sufficiently distracted (concentrating on attacking an enemy perhaps) then the nanotech colony may not detect the attack in time. The nanites depend on the senses of the wearer and react accordingly, thus, the cloak will not move to protect a surprised individual.

The secondary function of the cloak is offensive. The Cloak can make blade-like shapes and these can be used to attack individuals within 8 meters of the operator. Obviously when used in attack mode, the defensive capabilities of the cloak are reduced, however the defense of the basic suit is always available. The cloak can make several tendrils and attack a single target multiple times, or attack multiple targets.

The device is powered by micro-fusion reactors housed in the bicep and thigh sections of the suit. If these are damaged it will lose the ability to charge the nanites with power and its nanite-production ability will be destroyed.

These are exceptionaly rare devices of a very high tech level. Oftentimes best introduced into a campaign in the hands of a major enemy, or as a percursor artifact of exteptional value. Weapons manufacturers would do just about anything to get their hands on one of these bad-boys. Take that into consideration when using these in your campaigns.

Characteristics and stats:

Armor: 12pd/16ed(42) Hardx1(+1/4) 52Act

--OIF(-1/2) Difficult to obtain(-1/2) Independant(-2) No mass(-0) Real Armor(-1/4) 16pts

Battery Pack:

Endurance Reserve: 100End(10) 20Rec(20) 30 Act

--IIF(-1/4) Difficult to obtain(-1/2) Independant(-2) 8pts

Laser Reflective Coating:

+3DCV(15)

--Only vs Lasers(-1/2) OIF(-1/2) Independant(-2) Linked to Armor(-1/4) 4pts

Multipower: 60pt reserve 14pts

--OFI(-1/2) Difficult to obtain(-1/2) Independant(-2) Linked to Armor(-1/4)

1) Blades: 2D6 HKA(30) Autofire-5(+1/2) 45Act End=4/attack Ultra slot: 2pts

2) Stretching: +3"(15)

-- Only to cause damage(-1/2) X2 End(-1/2) End=3/attack Ultra slot: 1pt

3) Missile Deflection: Vs All(20) +5 to deflect(10) Adjacent(+1/2) 45 Act: --Cost Endurance(-1/2) End=4/deflection Ultra slot: 2pts

4) Force Wall: 10pd/10ed FW(50) +5" width(10) 60Act

--Self Only(-1/2) No Range(-1/2) End=6/phase Ultra slot: 2pts.

Multipower cost: 21pts.

Total cost of Liquid Metal Cloak: 49pts.

Notes:

They are all linked to the armor because if the armored suit itself is destroyed, taken away, etc, none of the other powers will operate any longer.

Because they are "Ultra" slots, the Blades, Missile Deflection and Force Wall cannot be used simultanteously. Only the Blades and the Stretching can be used together (a total active cost of 60pts, the total in the MP reserve).

Price: I don't know, but it would be a lot of cahs...

ATRI ratings and TE power levels

Greetings,

I do not mean to be critical, but since Hero is a system that encourages maximum GM creativity, and people were talking about game worlds they had in mind for SH even before TE came out (implying, at least, that many of us are gaming in SH games outside of the TE setting), what is wrong with including technology ideas that are not set to TE??

I do suppose people could just post the ideas here in the forums, I just thought the online database might be a particularly good place to trade and share ideas.

Polaris

I do not mean to be critical, but since Hero is a system that encourages maximum GM creativity, and people were talking about game worlds they had in mind for SH even before TE came out (implying, at least, that many of us are gaming in SH games outside of the TE setting), what is wrong with including technology ideas that are not set to TE??

Because the point of these online collections of stuff is not just to compile tech (or superpowers) willy-nilly. The points are (a) to support a published product, and (B) perhaps accumulate enough material to eventually publish a supplement to or expansion of the book being supported. A random bunch of SH tech with no unifying technological or cultural principles behind it doesn't meet those goals.

Originally posted by Steve Long

Because the point of these online collections of stuff is not just to compile tech (or superpowers) willy-nilly. The points are (a) to support a published product, and (B) perhaps accumulate enough material to eventually publish a supplement to or expansion of the book being supported. A random bunch of SH tech with no unifying technological or cultural principles behind it doesn't meet those goals.

I agree, but that certainly shouldn't stop enthusiasts of non-setting specific material from putting together a database of other material not related to TE. Plenty of herophiles out there have webspace dedicated to their own specific settings or interests; "Surbrook's Stuff" and "Babylon 5 Hero" come to mind...

I think what Ben is trying to say, is that the Spacer's Toolkit is createed mostly with HERO's current Star Hero product line, which focuses on the Terran Empire, and he wants stuff that's created to be primarily compatible and focused on that setting.

This was done for a few reasons, but mostly so that:

1. They can give tools for gamers to run a Terran Empire campaign.

2. It helps promote the current line of product.

I don't think you'll have much to worry about, though. Most, if not all of the items presented can be easily adapted for whatever setting you like, much like the material in Star Hero.

Originally posted by Syberdwarf2

I agree, but that certainly shouldn't stop enthusiasts of non-setting specific material from putting together a database of other material not related to TE. Plenty of herophiles out there have webspace dedicated to their own specific settings or interests; "Surbrook's Stuff" and "Babylon 5 Hero" come to mind...

I think I should clarify here...

I'm all for HeroGames making a supplement for the TE. Especially since I plan to (eventually) get it and the Spacer's Toolkit. I think this online toolkit is a good idea.

Perhaps there should be different webpages devoted to several different sub-genres of sci-fi. For example, low sci-fi, realistic sci-fi, military sci-fi, imperial space opera, etc.

That way the different tech-levels can be mostly consistent in feel. Most space opera themes often have widely seperated tech levels, so they could include items from any sub-genre. Low sci-fi and military sci-fi are pretty close in tech levels, and they could also probably borrow from each other.

I agree that the main strength of Hero is it's versatility and flexibility. I can understand Steve's viewpoint from a business sense, since the more supported stuff there is of their product line, the more money they make (and the more future stuff we can see from them). However, I think it would be amistake to not include other contributions for different settings. Afterall, the more items that are seen, the further it will stoke the imagination and spread the good word of Hero.

Originally posted by Dauntless

However, I think it would be amistake to not include other contributions for different settings. Afterall, the more items that are seen, the further it will stoke the imagination and spread the good word of Hero.

The parameters for the other STAR Hero settings have not been defined yet in print (or even in planning), so all that there is right now is Terran Empire. Once we have new settings like Galactic Federation, Alien Wars and even Solar Hero, then the power levels and ATRI will be defined. At that point, we'll be able to set up databses for those settings. Doing so before the setting is even created doesn't make much sense.

Originally posted by Ben Seeman

The parameters for the other STAR Hero settings have not been defined yet in print (or even in planning), so all that there is right now is Terran Empire. Once we have new settings like Galactic Federation, Alien Wars and even Solar Hero, then the power levels and ATRI will be defined. At that point, we'll be able to set up databses for those settings. Doing so before the setting is even created doesn't make much sense.

What is the real idea behind it then, to gather stuff for the publications, or to provide a meeting of the minds for new GM's?? Just asking, cause i got lots of stuff, but my hard sf setting is using two scales, one for personnel and one for starship, based around all starships being much tougher than human/alien systems