Shared Damage

I have recently started running a new campaign and one of my players had an interesting idea that I don't quite know how to stat in Hero. The idea is that two characters are joined such that each is now tougher than they were separately but when one is damaged, both are. As I recall, the original characters he is basing this on were in D&D where they simply added their hit points into a common pool. This does not work in Hero, so I need a different mechanic. I was thinking of using extra Stun and Body with a limitation and a disadvantage that each takes damages when the other does. Does anyone else have a better way of modelling this?

Re: Shared Damage

Why not something like

20 Shared Life: (Total: 60 Active Cost, 20 Real Cost) Energy Damage Reduction, Resistant, 50% (30 Active Points); Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Linked Character takes unresistible STUN and BODY equal to the damage that get through; -2) (Real Cost: 10) plus Physical Damage Reduction, Resistant, 50% (30 Active Points); Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Linked Character takes unresistible STUN and BODY equal to the damage that get through; -2) (Real Cost: 10)

Powers Cost: 20

When the character takes damage, he only suffer half the damage and his linked pal takes the other half. Not really a pool thing since the healing is not transfered for exemple, but really simulate the thing : I'm tougher because my pal takes par of my pain.

Why not something like

20 Shared Life: (Total: 60 Active Cost, 20 Real Cost) Energy Damage Reduction, Resistant, 50% (30 Active Points); Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Linked Character takes unresistible STUN and BODY equal to the damage that get through; -2) (Real Cost: 10) plus Physical Damage Reduction, Resistant, 50% (30 Active Points); Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Linked Character takes unresistible STUN and BODY equal to the damage that get through; -2) (Real Cost: 10)

When the character takes damage, he only suffer half the damage and his linked pal takes the other half. Not really a pool thing since the healing is not transfered for exemple, but really simulate the thing : I'm tougher because my pal takes par of my pain.

I like this approach. :D

I focussed on the fact that they are tougher when together.

I reckon that they could limit their BODY & STUN

(x BODY, cannot exceed BODY total of partner -1/2)

They could also buy extra STUN and BODY that they only have when in close proximity.

This avoids the bookeeping - and is cheaper than simply buying BODY - which it should be.

Doc

There are, as always in hero, multiple ways to build this. If you wanted to avoid custom limitations and disadvantages, then IMHO there is a good way using existing Powers and Limitations. As Bloodstone pointed out, Mind Link already has a system for sharing damage in the Feedback Limitation. To simulate the extra toughness when together, I suggest them both buying extra BODY and STUN with the Requires Multiple Users Limitation. I hope this helps.

Why not something like

I like.

Why not something like

So far this build is the closest to what I was looking for. The mind link works and is simplest, but doesn't handle the extra BODY and STUN without just buying more. Thanks to everyone who has contributed.

Wow. First, I don't know that I would've gotten this spell written without this thread; so rep to the guy who coughed up the idea. But the spell looks like deeze:

Shield Other: (Total: 48 Active Cost, 11 Real Cost) +1 with DCV, 1 Continuing Charge lasting 6 Hours (+0), Usable By Other (+1/4), Limited Range (Close (10"); +1/4), No Range Modifier (+1/2) (10 Active Points); OIF (A pair of platinum rings (worth at least 50 gp each) worn by both you and the warded creature; -1/2), Spell (Protection Domain; -1/2), Requires A Faith Roll (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) (Real Cost: 3) plus Physical Damage Reduction, Resistant, 25%, 1 Continuing Charge lasting 6 Hours (+0), Usable By Other (+1/4) (19 Active Points); OAF (A pair of platinum rings (worth at least 50 gp each) worn by both you and the warded creature.; -1), Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Caster takes an amount of damage equal to the Shielded Target; -1), Requires A Faith Roll (-1/2), Spell (Protection Domain; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) (Real Cost: 4) plus Energy Damage Reduction, Resistant, 25%, 1 Continuing Charge lasting 6 Hours (+0), Usable By Other (+1/4) (19 Active Points); OAF (A pair of platinum rings (worth at least 50 gp each) worn by both you and the warded creature.; -1), Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Caster takes an amount of damage equal to the Shielded Target; -1), Requires A Faith Roll (-1/2), Spell (Protection Domain; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) (Real Cost: 4)

I have a pair of villains in my campaign (mutant brothers, one with Energy Absorption to an EB and the other with Physical Absorption to Str) that have this power and I used the Damage Reduction option. It works well. There power was limited by proximity though ... they had to remain within 8" of each other for it to work.

I've done several such "corsican twin" characters- Gave them Damage Reduction and Susceptibility to their partner taking BODY. (The other guy would feel PAIN when one got injured, so it wasn't precisely shared.) I never bothered taking proximity into account, and always gave them inherent mind link. (Again, there's obviously some new wrinkle to 5th edition's Mind Link I haven't encountered yet.)

BUT, I do like the Side Effects on Damage Reduction idea, too.