Is this legal or no?

Great Beyond

So I was having a discussion on another board, and for some reason or another, champions cames up - and he posted this:

Once, while running a Champions game a friend approached me and said that he wanted to play a villain for a one-off scenario. Typical thing, villain plans to destroy the world blah blah. His plan?

Spend roughly 60 character points creating a doomsday device that, in time, would eat the planet! (For reference 60 points was rough 20% of a starting character...not so much for a doomsday device!)

The item consisted of a specific attack called a Killing Attack that would inflict 1 point of damage. This would cost 5 points. He then added a number of advantages including Radius (small but vital, makes the power affect an area), 0 End Cost (so that it would continue), Independant (means it will run even after the character has fallen unconscious or died), Penetrating (makes it work against hardened substances that would otherwise resist a mere 1 point of damage) and, last of all and the most vital, Sticky.

Sticky was an advantage that you could put on many different powers. As defined, anything that comes into contact with anything affected by a Sticky Power is also affected. So if I throw a sticky web grenade on you and your buddy touches you or is bumped into you, you also get stuck in the web. Cool huh?

So the doomsday device is activated and dropped on the ground (or into the water). It affects an area by virtue of the Radius advantage. Everything in that radius is now being affected by the device, as defined by the sticky advantage. The whole thing grows at a hideous rate until everything on the planet save for a few rare (read: Immune) minerals remain.

Needless to say the players (who actually stopped the device) were horrified by this when they discovered how it worked and that it was completely within the rules.

Now I dont have my book with me, so I cant check it - but I didnt think sticky worked that way. A sticky wasn't a ever expanding blob of goo (or whatever).

So I'll ask here - is that a legal build? Putting aside of course, the fact that'll never get past a GM with any sense of brains.

Re: Is this legal or no?

Yeah I once had a "Hell Sutra" that was God's name said backward...that I built as a Transfer, plus mucho advantages that fed it'sself so it could eventally eat the universe...but to be honest, it's a plot device...and I really don't worry about stating something like that out....

Penetrating has no effect on a 1 point Killing Attack. It's essentially a 0d6+1 Killing Attack.

"...a Killing Attack that adds +1 to the dice rolled doesn't get any extra benefit if it's Penetrating." H5R p. 266.

What he was looking for would be NND (+1) or AVLD (+1 1/2) and Does BODY (+1), and then there would a defense against the power.

Remember that Sticky is only a +1/2 Advantage. It's not going to engulf a planet for that value.

"This only applies to touching the character who was originally affected by the power-touching someone who touched him has no effect." H5R p. 268.

Even if you assume a new radius would be generated as soon as someone entered the outer edge of the original radius, the maximum expansion would be +100%. The effect generated by Sticky is not itself Sticky.

Penetrating has no effect on a 1 point Killing Attack. It's essentially a 0d6+1 Killing Attack.

"...a Killing Attack that adds +1 to the dice rolled doesn't get any extra benefit if it's Penetrating." H5R p. 266.

A 1 pip KA gets the benefit of Penetrating.

A 1d6+1 KA with penetrating, however, is only equivalent to a 1d6 KA with penetrating.

Steve answers that here

I did once have a character named Gang Green designed to do something similar.

He had extended duration Transfer Body > Duplication (identical copy of his original self). I've forgotten the math, but for 50 CP he could conceivably turn a substantial portion of the planet into selves.

The parts of the world with Power Defense, or that couldn't be touched by him due to force walls, damage shields or environmental factors or just the ability to fight him off successfully would be immune. And conceivably if the Transfer were dispelled or suppressed, everything would return to normal.

Also, there was the limit on the number of points that could be transfered (I think it capped at 16 duplicates, so the first copy could make 15 others, and each of them could make 15 others, etc..)

Schemes to eat the planet for cheap usually succumb to their own cheapoutedness.