A "Vintage" plot

Mark Rand

This is the first plot I want to run for my four-color campaign in Pittsburgh. It's designed more to get the players comfortable with their characters than anything else. Although the real Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix has been held each year since 1983, in the campaign this is the first year. The race site is http://www.pvgp.org.

It starts with someone noticing a picture in the paper of the team's engineer with the team's patron and three time Indy 500 champ Johnny Rutherford. When questioned, he explains that the patron is a member of the organization that runs the race, Johnny is the Grand Marshal, and he's driving the pace car. He then passes the team secretary the event schedule.

Two days before the race, the team's local liaison drops by and asks the team to show up at the race for an autograph session. He's also trying to make arrangements to have them take a parade lap around the track.

I've attached something about the Vintage to this. Most of it is about the real race.

Re: A "Vintage" plot

The Vintage will occur over a period of two weeks. Most events are car shows. However, there are two race weekends.

The first is an SCCA race weekend that also marks the opening of the Washington County Raceway, a fictitious track that I based on the final version of the now defunct Riverside International Raceway.

The second is the Vintage itself. The first day is practice and qualifying for the various race groups. The second day feature a number of parade laps and the races themselves.

And what is the actual plot?

Unexpected things are going to happen. I'm thinking of having a Medieval-type knight on a pegasus appear in mid air over the area the heroes are in. He (or she) could be either friend or foe.

I'm making a slight adjustment to this plot.

The heroes are, at the request of the city, at the first ever Pittsburgh Vintage Car Grand Prix for an autograph session. As it starts, they hear reports of a rift of some kind, at tree top level, at the nearby golf course. It closed after a figure, dressed like a Medieval knight, and riding a white pegasus, comes through.

Better?

The heroes would do well to check out whether any psychedelic substances are being sold or whether anyone has been carting around projection equipment.

Since the heroes can see the pegasus, too, the people who reported it aren't under the influence of any psychedelic substances and there doesn't seem to be any projection equipment around. (The golf course on on the outside of the track's back straight. One of the corner workers was the first one to report the sighting.)

Here I thought there'd be an adventure revolving around a mind control potion produced at a winery and distributed widely to the public as a decent, inexpensive red wine. Earlier vintages would have been made before the mind control stuff came out, so vintage matters in this case.

Hm. May have to file that idea for later use.

Watching the pegasus circle the area, the heroes notice that it seems to be descending.

From beyond the police line, a young male voice states that the rider is female and is dressed like a guard from the city of Waterdeep.

From the same area, an adult male voice states that the way the animal is flying, it was turned into a pegasus recently, perhaps by some action of the rift.

An adult female voice from the same area suggests that the rider might speak English the way someone using a phrasebook does.

I'd add in Foxbat trying to win the race, thus begaining his new Master plan

Oh using a stolen prop car Batmobile!

Since there's five or six classes of cars at the Vintage, there's that many races. He could try to win one.

Since there's five or six classes of cars at the Vintage' date=' there's that many races. He could try to win one.[/quote']

Even with his army of Fox-Bots? All he needs is to steal cars for each heat/race and his master plan will move into phase 42 1/2!

The heroes hear later the following: While the pace car driver was taking a break between races, a couple of kids took the pace car for a joyride, but didn't get far. They ended up driving it into the Westinghouse Memorial Pond, the water hazard on the course.

The kids are now in jail, and the car's being pulled out of the pond. Since it's three feet deep, the car, more than likely, is ruined. Fortunately, both the Washington County Raceway pace car, a Ford Mustang, and the region's pace car, a Lamborghini Murcielago, are available.

• 2 weeks later...

Cool! that makes ambush/kidnap plans much easier to set up....

What does, blocked off city streets or a real track?

The Vintage will be held at a real track. However, I think the heroes will be invited to the gala that kicks off two weeks of races, car shows, and other events. There's bound to be VIPs for the heroes to impress and party-crashing mooks for the heroes to deal with.

holding it on city streets...no way to clear every building' date=' easy to make a gettaway, you can preposistion your resources......a track is controlled entry, a city street is a public place......lots easier to carry things around....[/quote']

True.

That may be why Pittsburgh's vintage car race was run through Schenley Park. Of course, the two years we had a go-kart grand prix it was run downtown, in he vicinity of Gateway Center.