Where did this come from?

nytflyr

Re: Where did this come from?

Where'd you get it from? Or more precisely - how'd you get to it on the gargoyle's landing site/bbs?

I got it from a russian blog, but there was no copy on it to translate and its original filename was 25_podborka_23.jpg (and the picture of carrot top below it was named 25_podborka_27.jpg so the filename wont give you a clue)

as to how I got it on Gargoyles Landing. I saved the picture and put it on the server

Looks like maybe it came from a movie. I'd love to know where though. The picture itself looks modern, but the setting looks late 20's early 30's. The big monster in front looks late 20's but the monoplane in the background seems more early 30's.

Actually, there were monoplane fighters in the late 20s, and the one in the background looks like one from the fixed-undercarriage type wheel spats. The big thingie's engines have such poorly-fitted fairings that I would say they were more WWI-era. Or the engines are some kind of super-Napier Lions on a Junkers "big wing."

Alas, the floats are far too small, so this 'plane just would not float.

Pulp villains the world over are drooling over that picture ! It looks to me as though someone has taken the concept of the Blohm & Voss "Wiking" flying boat and maybe crossed it with the British Tarrant "Tabor" from 1919 (or perhaps the Pemberton -Billings "Nighthawk", which was large enough to carry a searchlight and generator on board !),upscaled and had it made out of riveted steel with heavier armament !

Guys, quit with the "what is it?" questions. Concentrate on the "how do we get one?" questions. because, and I say this from the bottom of my scab encrusted heart, I want one so bad it hurts!

I don't care about the physics, I know it won't fly in the real world, but it is just so beautiful! It's the machine that every would be world conqueror spends nights dreaming about. That is worth my left nut, my right eye and 50% of my immortal soul.

Rep that man!

I'm going to get all stubborn-like and say that no, they're floats. I could argue that they are shaped like pontoons and have no obvious shock absorber in their wing connection, or point out that this is how they made floatplane amphibians back in the day.

But really, this thing has to be an amphibian. How could it not be a seaplane? It has everything else going for it!

(Tho' maybe someone could photoshop a wireless antenna or three in.)

If it's based off the Russian Kalinin K 7 then they are most absolutely NOT floats.

This site has a shot of it in the air:

http://www.pilotfriend.com/photo_albums/potty/8.htm

And the description of the Military Version pretty closely matches the picture of the OP. I'm not wondering if someone drew up a mock version of the military K 7 based on that description.