Shooter, aka gunbunny, Archetypes

Remjin

Hi, my name is Remjin, and I'm a gunaholic...

It all began when I was just a teenager and I discovered the movie Hard Boiled. I was in awe of its gross disregard for life or the cost of ammunition. Ever since, I have soaked up all the gun kata that film has to offer... and I am not ashamed. (though some of the moviemakers should be)

So I'm sitting here thinking about the whole deal and thought it might be nice to list and discuss some of our favorite archetypes of this kind. These are the archetypes I'm most familiar with and would like to hear more.

"Dirty Harry" archetype consists of a sharpshooting man with a very big gun. Usually a pistol. I am currently playing one: Father Martin Longfellow, formerly of an obscure sect of the Catholic Church. He carries Methusela, 'He who demands death,' a giant revolver with a gothic cross motif (four rounds in the cylinder for a cross-like extractor star and a cross shaped muzzle blast via vents).

"Two-fisted Gun Artist" ala John Woo's signature paired pistols or Equilibrium's Gramiton Clerics.

"Dead-eye Sniper" typified by a rifle w/ scope and uncanny accuracy.

"G.I. Joe" or the military style character using assault rifles and other militaria.

"Way Overcompensating Guy" with the uber gun usually meant for mounting on vehicles. This includes the ubiquitous mini-gun.

"Festooned" or the guy with an entire arsenal on his person.

"Army of Darkness" or double-barrel shotgun guy with chainsaw fetish.

"Operator" ala Navy Seals or Solid Snake type fellows with stealth and neat gear.

I'm sure there are more. Please lay down your favorites for the masses.

Re: Shooter, aka gunbunny, Archetypes

hmm..

"The Customizer" Constantly mucking about with his gun(s). Whether filing off the iron sights to get a faster draw or adding lightweight triggers, extended slides with flash suppressors and extended magazines with handloaded rounds to an old colt M1911

hmm..

"The Customizer" Constantly mucking about with his gun(s). Whether filing off the iron sights to get a faster draw or adding lightweight triggers, extended slides with flash suppressors and extended magazines with handloaded rounds to an old colt M1911

Guess that could also fall into the "Doo-dads" guy that likes a lot of junk on his guns... =)

Just make sure Father Longfellow gets his St. Gabriel Possenti medal (patron saint of handgunners - the medal is given to people who defend others using marksmanship).

St. Gabriel Possenti, the Savior of Isola

Hard Boiled was the starting point for a lot of people.

My characters tend to be based on motivations rather than game roles or loadout, so I'd think more in terms like:

The Brooding Avenger (The Punisher)

The Hard-Boiled Cop (Hard Boiled, of course)

The Professional ( The, uh, Professional? Also The Long Kiss Goodnight for a twist...)

The Soldier ( Soldier )

You get the idea...

My "Revolver Guy" category is more of the "old cop/ soldier" who uses the revolver because they've been using revolvers since the Korean War. Sam Elliot plays a great variant of this in "We Were Soldiers", insisting on using his M1911 instead of the M16 rifles. And of course there's always Danny Glover as Murtoch from Lethal Weapon.

Ah, nice. Lots of good ones here. The whole revolver thing is definitely one. I personally also have a fascination with revolvers.

I hadn't even considered "Running Man" but that is definitely one that's shown up more often in recent years.

If ya'll are wondering why I brought this up, its essentially for me to be able to compile an archetype list to work from for a setting I'm constructing. I figure all the brains of a forum make more creative power than my gerbil wheel. :D

If ya'll are wondering why I brought this up' date=' its essentially for me to be able to compile an archetype list to work from for a setting I'm constructing. I figure all the brains of a forum make more creative power than my gerbil wheel. :D[/quote']Depends on whether the gerbil wheel has Turbo Boost or not. ;)

Depends on whether the gerbil wheel has Turbo Boost or not. ;)

You definitely don't know me... the gerbil is a tired, out of shape chain-smoker and the wheel is rusty and clogged with hair. :P

Seriously, I'm not THAT dumb, but there are lots of creative people here... best to tap a good resource. =)

"Gunslinger" - pistolier with a penchant for fast, trick shots. Also loves to fast-draw and twirl his guns for no reason.

I don't know if this fits as an archetype, but I always had a soft spot in my heart for:

"Shotgun Chick" - tough broad who can and will pump her shotgun with one hand, just because she can. (You know, Linda Hamilton in Terminator 2)

"Gunslinger" - pistolier with a penchant for fast, trick shots. Also loves to fast-draw and twirl his guns for no reason.

I don't know if this fits as an archetype, but I always had a soft spot in my heart for:

"Shotgun Chick" - tough broad who can and will pump her shotgun with one hand, just because she can. (You know, Linda Hamilton in Terminator 2)

its pretty free-form, whatever you like and however you like. Its just for ideas in general.

Gunslinger and shotgun chick are always good times. =)

Heh, yeah, she was totally sweet in that movie.

Which brings up another couple of archetypes....

Angry/Vengeful Mother, who is typified more due to background than anything else. Grief and rage mixed into a potent package.

La Femme Nikita, assassin woman that combines sexiness, grace, and skill at arms.

How about the martial artists with pistols or other usage of firearms at VERY close range? The Grammaton clerics, Jet Li.............. lots of Matrix moves where the weapons are being knocked around like crazy or used for melee and then all of a sudden a trigger is pulled.

How about the martial artists with pistols or other usage of firearms at VERY close range? The Grammaton clerics' date=' Jet Li.............. lots of Matrix moves where the weapons are being knocked around like crazy or used for melee and then all of a sudden a trigger is pulled.[/quote']

I think of that like Gun Kata and the like. I love that stuff! Great fun, no matter how much the "realistic" guys might hate it. I find it extremely amusing. =)

There's the guy who uses 'guns' that aren't guns e.g. Van Helsing and his repeating crossbow... The Un-gun Bunny perhaps?

There's also the guy who is fast as lightning on the draw... The Gunslinger (post 11 above) is that guy I guess.

And then there's the Gentleman/Gentlewoman who uses a small caliber/concealed gun like a Derringer.

i think my all time fav is Vasquez from Aliens. the hard-@$$ that just keeps going, ammo casings flying. armed with heavy assualt weapons, then the smaller weapon, then going hand to hand in an enclosed space with a friggin alien drone.

i *heart* Vasquez. just don't tell my wife.... ;)

and any weapon that has a modified muzzle flash is just cool, imho.

i think my all time fav is Vasquez from Aliens. the hard-@$$ that just keeps going, ammo casings flying. armed with heavy assualt weapons, then the smaller weapon, then going hand to hand in an enclosed space with a friggin alien drone.

i *heart* Vasquez. just don't tell my wife.... ;)

Hehe, yeah, she's pretty hot. I like women like that. Heck, except for not being in the military or shooting aliens on a regular basis, she is kind of like that. She only shoots a .357 revolver, though, but she had as much if not more muscles than Vasquez did. :thumbup:

and any weapon that has a modified muzzle flash is just cool, imho.

Yeah, that was a new one on me, but very cool when I saw it. Totally copied it. =)

To see a true gunbunny in action, watch the just released Shoot 'em Up with Clive Owen as the "bunny" in question. :nonp:

Oh, and there's Revy, who's an unmatched two-gun fighter, beaten out only by Chow Yun-Fat in multiple John Woo roles. :celebrate

Do you have the "maimed" fighter? Usually this is a guy who get's hacked up in a fight and must learn to shoot with his off hand or some such. Chow Yn-Fat does something like this in Full Contact.

To see a true gunbunny in action' date=' watch the just released [i']Shoot 'em Up[/i] with Clive Owen as the "bunny" in question. :nonp:

Oh, and there's Revy, who's an unmatched two-gun fighter, beaten out only by Chow Yun-Fat in multiple John Woo roles. :celebrate

Do you have the "maimed" fighter? Usually this is a guy who get's hacked up in a fight and must learn to shoot with his off hand or some such. Chow Yn-Fat does something like this in Full Contact.

Oooh, I still want to see that. Argh. Working all weekend. =/ No, no one has mentioned the maimed one. I always thought of that archetype with swordsman, like the One-armed Swordsman or The Blade, stuff like that. Good one, though. BTW, if you haven't seen The Blade by Tsui Hark (?), its a fun flick with some crazy fights in it. =)

Oooh' date=' I still want to see that. Argh. Working all weekend. =/ No, no one has mentioned the maimed one. I always thought of that archetype with swordsman, like the One-armed Swordsman or The Blade, stuff like that. Good one, though. BTW, if you haven't seen The Blade by Tsui Hark (?), its a fun flick with some crazy fights in it. =)[/quote']

Oh wow.... The Blade.... that final fight is just mind boggling.

Oh, and here, Ding On: http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptationshkaction/dingon.html