Building Whirlwind Attack

Era Scarecrow

A question came up in one of our games, how to build a whirlwind attack (Roughly based on D&D)

Here is my attempt at building it, and perhaps obvious flaws can be pointed out and explained.

---

Whirlwind Maneuver

This is it's own maneuver and linked to standard

strike (or martial strike, your preference), When

surrounded you will attack everything in your hex,

and all adjacent hex's. It can only be used when

surrounded by evil opponents, and takes a full

phase to use.

(Unlike sweep, this leaves your DCV alone)

Naked Power Modifier:

AOE: One hex, X2, +3/4

Personal Immunity: +1/4

Limited Power: Requires Full Phase action to use. -1/2

Extra Time: Delayed Phase -1/4

Focus: Requires a hand held weapon. (-1/2)

Linked: Strike/Martial Strike -1/2

Increased Endurance Cost: X3 -1

Costwise is turned out from the AP's of the attack used. Ex: Every 5AP of your Str or attack you pay 1 Point to use it. (Not including strength)

Example: so a HKA 1d6+1 is 20ap, so it would costs 4 to use it (Even if you had 20 str to take it to 2d6-1, 1 1/2d6).

Era

Re: Building Whirlwind Attack

If it were me I'd go skill based:

TWF

WF: Off Hand

Rapid Attack

Boucoup PSLs vs. Sweep Penalties.

Maneuver of Choice

And I don't understand why only versus "evil," but you could make it a "compound skill" and slap limitations on it if you wanted.

The naked advantage/power based approach could also work.

Whirlwind Attack would also be Selective Area of Effect' date=' I believe.[/quote']

That's how I built it for my FH game. The original build means you whack your friends if they're standing withing 2 metres as well and also that you hit everyone automatically (which doesn't match the original feat very well).

Since I don't allow naked advantages to be dropped on free equipment in heroic games ('triffically abusive), we bought it like this:

1d6HKA, Area Affect, 1 hex 2x Radius, Selective (+1 1/4). Weapon of opportunity (-1/2), full phase (-1/2). 34 active, 17 real. [uses 3 END + END from STR]. It's relatively expensive for a heroic power, but allows you to attack everyone standing around you - and since there's no STR min you can easily crank it to 2d6 which can hurt. Certainly, the player who had it was the most kickass fighter in the group when it came to mowing down masses of mooks - he went through them like a lawnmower through grass.

We also had a version built on area effect radius (that's up to 3" :eek:) with a -1/4 limitation (limited to weapon reach) which was IIRC was 38 active and 17 real for spears, spiked chains, unrealistically gigantic swords, etc

cheers, Mark

Also, I would not allow the Linked limitation in the original post (or at best it would be -1/4, linking a greater power to a lesser power), and I would note that Full Phase plus Delayed Phase for -3/4 is the same limitation value as Extra Phase (-3/4); depending on the character, I might consider the Delayed Phase to be not worth a limitation.

Originally a paladin in our game was thinking about having a whirlwind/like attack, which is why 'surrounded by evil characters' However, that wasn't in the limitations, if you note.

Naked Modifier, seems like the best way to 'add' the ability to a weapon without buying a new weapon. Still tinkering with it though, it is rather strong.

So, drop the Linked to strike. (I put that in, since i consider it a manouver, it would start off with strike's attributes and then add my modifications later)

Focus, Change to Weapon of Opportunity? -1/2? (I doubt slapping everyone in your area is going to be much use, which is why i put focus needs a weapon.)

I didn't do 'selective' since i thought it would be better and faster (when surrounded by 15 something creatures) not to attack each individually. If your friend is close enough to you when you are doing this, it's his fault (abort to dodge), or it better be for the greater good. But selective might work, since it's not like sweep where once you miss, all others miss.

If you take selective, you loose personal immunity (you won't select yourself :P)

Updated:

Naked Power Modifier:

AOE: One hex, X2 size, Selective +1

Limited Power: Requires Full Phase action to use. -1/2

Weapon of Opportunity (-1/2)

Increased Endurance Cost: X3 -1 (Increase as needed)

Era