10 Most Amazing Temples in the World

Susano

Re: 10 Most Amazing Temples in the World

The list of churches is a bit dubious, though.

I'd remove some of the fairly pedestrian modern churches and Notre Dame, and add in:

Bete Medhane Alem in Lalibela: a church carved entirely out of rock (windows, sculpture, furniture, the lot: all one piece of stone)

Sainte Chapelle in Paris - the Gothic church to end all Gothic churches: it makes Notre Dame look like a cave.

and the Mezquita in Cordoba - a mosque converted to a church: it's just goddamn amazing.

cheers, Mark

Which church is the one covered in bones?

There's a bunch of them, actually. Check out

http://lifegallery.dk/photography/travel/portugal/evora/evorastartpage.html

which has a bunch of photos taken by a friend of mine of the mortuary at Evora in Portugal. It's built mostly out of bones.

cheers, Mark

The one I'm thinking of this is in Eastern Europe. Poland or there abouts. I think. Those pics aren't of it.

Ah - in that case, you're probably thinking of either the bone church in Sedlec, Poland or the Church of Bones in Kutna Hora, Czech Republic. They're not the only ossuaries in that part of the world, but they're both pretty famous.

But like I said, there're plenty of "bone churches" in Europe: another famous one is the Capuchin Church of the Immaculate Conception in Rome (that's the only one I've ever visited). I just pointed to Jes' photos from Evora 'cause I had his site bookmarked

They're pretty odd - but then a lot of priests and monks from that era were - shall we say - not praying from a full psalmbook.

cheers, Mark

Dammmmmmmmmm I have a character by the name of Doctor Marrow and this puts everything I ever even thought about doing with this Doctor of the Dead to Shame.

SHAME!

For a book i would suggest Seventy Wonders of the Ancient World by Carre,

not 10 or twenty but freaking 70 places to adventure in. complete with maps, archaeological notes and good reference stuff.

I'd remove some of the fairly pedestrian modern churches...

Though I must say that the picture of Notre Dame du Haut doesn't do it justice. Even though it's modern, there's a certain "primitive" quality to it that might be inspirational for a fantasy setting. Especially when seen from the inside.

I studied this place in an art history class in college.