Locations to cover the United States...

Foxiekins

I have a character in mind that has 8 bases around the United States... Each base contains a teleport system that can teleport him to another of his bases... Each base also houses a hovercraft that has a maximum velocity of just over 370 MPH... The idea is that if he needs to be somewhere, he can teleport to the closest base, and then fly out to the trouble spot...

I'm thinking Seattle, Los Angeles, Denver, Chicago, Dallas/Fort Worth, Memphis, New York, and Atlanta would be the sites of the 8 bases... Can anyone suggest alternate sites...?

Re: Locations to cover the United States...

I would think that you'd be looking for a coverage map. Say take a map of the continental USA and make eight circular templates about 400 scale miles in radius and plop them around the map until you have nearly complete coverage -- that way your character can be anywhere in the USA within about an hour. Or else you could go the Megascale route with your teleportation with 400 mile hexes, teleporting yourself and the hovercraft to the general area and then flying home when the mission is done...

Hope it works out for you,

Matt "Just-had-an-idea" Frisbee

Seattle's tucked too closely into the corner for this kind of operation, unless you anticipate a large majority of the trouble in the Pacific Northwest to be centered there. I'd use Portland instead, or at least Vancouver (WA).

For a similar reason you might also consider San Francisco or Sacramento rather than Los Angeles.

There's almost certainly a formal mathematical way to do this; it corresponds to getting a best fit to an eight-component, probably population-weighted (though if you have sites out in the unpopulated areas that require superior coverage, that skews the weighting from just population) fit to the country.

I'm thinking the pattern would best go west to east as 2-1-2-1-2' date=' and for cities Salem, OR, Las Vegas, NV, Denver, CO, Davenport, IA, Dallas, TX, Louisville, KY, Philadelphia, PA and Atlanta, GA. Just a thought.[/quote']

Hmmm... Yes, the idea is for it to be a 2-1-2-1-2 pattern... Nice alternate locations... I think I'll use them, thanks... Besides, how can I resist seeing how my PCs react when they find out they could use the network to teleport into Vegas whenever they want... If they keep on good terms with him, that is...

How far away is Philadelphia, PA from New York, NY, though...? Almost 90 percent of the Metanormal Population is in New York...

Hmmm... Yes, the idea is for it to be a 2-1-2-1-2 pattern... Nice alternate locations... I think I'll use them, thanks... Besides, how can I resist seeing how my PCs react when they find out they could use the network to teleport into Vegas whenever they want... If they keep on good terms with him, that is...

How far away is Philadelphia, PA from New York, NY, though...? Almost 90 percent of the Metanormal Population is in New York...

Philadelphia is less than 100 miles from New York, not far at all.

I would say your PCs' excitement at being able to go to Vegas will be tempered with having to go to Davenport, IA. "Team, today we go to protect gambling riverboats, run-down businesses near the waterside, and strip malls. For justice!"

Philadelphia is less than 100 miles from New York, not far at all.

I would say your PCs' excitement at being able to go to Vegas will be tempered with having to go to Davenport, IA. "Team, today we go to protect gambling riverboats, run-down businesses near the waterside, and strip malls. For justice!"

Cool, so it's a 15 minute jaunt... The main reason they'd be going to Davenport, IA would be if there were a new emerging Metanormal in the area...

The MetaNormal Examination and Tracking Authority's charter calls for the investigation of new Metas, to determine if they're a hazard to themselves or the population...

I would think that you'd be looking for a coverage map. Say take a map of the continental USA and make eight circular templates about 400 scale miles in radius and plop them around the map until you have nearly complete coverage

As an alternative, you might want to get a map that shows population distribution. It's likely that trouble will occur most frequently in or near population centers.

A one-hour response time for anywhere in the U.S. is good. On the other hand, most villains will be able to strike a target and escape in minutes. If you can reach major population centers in 5 minutes or less, it's a whole new ballgame.

id probably go with basing the locations on population density

but have a couple of wild card locations due to local weirdness mount Rushmore because of the secret headquarters of some government agency or superhero the Arizona desert for rapid response to the meta jail there etc