Been there done that?

Psylint

I'm thinking of creating a Coachman gestalt character. Sort of the incarnation of the Traveler. Anyway, part of his schtick is that he's been everywhere is immortal etc. Unfortunately, buying City Knowledge for each an every municipality in the world would be cost prohibitive. I was wondering what y'all that of a construction like this.

Talent: I've been everywhere, Man (apologies to Johnny Cash).

The character has literally been everywhere, many times, and knows all the routes to any place of interest, anywhere in the campaign world.

Detect Route 10 [Large class of abstract things] for Int Roll

10 pts. +1 to Int Roll for 1 pt.

Re: Been there done that?

I find it amusing that I (of course) used the same 'Power Name' for it. I've done this, using one of two ways:

I've Been Everywhere, Man: Cramming (5 Active Points); Area Knowledges Only (-1); 2 Real Cost

Also done as a VPP, thus:

I've Been Everywhere, Man: Variable Power Pool (Area Knowledges Only), 10 base + 2 control cost, (15 Active Points); Limited Class Of Powers Available Very Limited (Area Knowledges Only; -1), VPP Powers Can Be Changed Only In Given Circumstance (-1/2); Real Cost 12 points.

In both cases, the character has to wander around town for a couple/six hours to refamiliarize themselves before the knowledge kicks in; the latter is generally preferred, of course, since half the pool (5 points) would give you an INT + 2 roll.

I'd also recommend the VPP if it's allowed, because an AK isn't just 'what's the way to San Jose', it's also 'you know that really great bar on Hudson Street?'. AKs are more than just which road goes where.

If you must go with the Talent...

I've Been Everywhere, Man: Sense Directions (Large Class) 14- (no Sense Group), Discriminatory, Range, Rapid (x10), MegaScale (1" = 1 km; +1/4) (31 Active Points); 31 Real Cost

Thanks Wyrm,

I had thought about using a VPP, but got caught up on the "no skills, no 0 end powers in power frameworks" bit.

Y'know in some ways the increased detail is great, but when you want to model "fugitive" type characters, it's really easy to spend well over a hundred points on just "background" skills.

I was also thinking about doing something bizarre like:

Access, Cosmic Mystical Database of City Area Knowledge

I miss the Man in Black

((rep as soon as I can))

I have a similar connundrum. I'm working on a character who can speak with the world of the dead. All of the dead. Thus, he can ask them questions, and they can answer to the best of their ability (with a "vague and unclear" limitation attached, since this would be incredibly unbalancing otherwise and the dead, being dead, are themselves vague and unclear). I have no idea how to build this. A skills VPP (technically illegal isn't it?), only stuff dead people have known, only knowledge and area skills, coupled with retrocognition?

You might also think about using a "Universal Traveler" Skill based on the Universal Translator Talent. 20 points gets you an 8- or an 11- or some such with with every Area Knowledge Skill. The Ultimate Skill discusses this as an optional construct (along with things like Universal Jack Of All Trades, Universal Scientist, etc.)

I have a similar connundrum. I'm working on a character who can speak with the world of the dead. All of the dead. Thus' date=' he can ask them questions, and they can answer to the best of their ability (with a "vague and unclear" limitation attached, since this would be incredibly unbalancing otherwise and the dead, being dead, are themselves vague and unclear). I have no idea how to build this. A skills VPP (technically illegal isn't it?), only stuff dead people have known, only knowledge and area skills, coupled with retrocognition?[/quote']

Tsk. No. Just get a Organisational Contact.

You might also think about using a "Universal Traveler" Skill based on the Universal Translator Talent. 20 points gets you an 8- or an 11- or some such with with every Area Knowledge Skill. The Ultimate Skill discusses this as an optional construct (along with things like Universal Jack Of All Trades' date=' Universal Scientist, etc.)[/quote']

While I usually build that as a Knowledge Pool, the version from TUS (eg Universal X) does the exact same thing and looks quite a bit cleaner on the character sheet, and comes out to cost about the same.

I saw one recently that was Universal Traveler, Only for Pubs and Bars. :) "Oh? You mean Stinky's Pub down on 4th St?"

While I usually build that as a Knowledge Pool, the version from TUS (eg Universal X) does the exact same thing and looks quite a bit cleaner on the character sheet, and comes out to cost about the same.

I saw one recently that was Universal Traveler, Only for Pubs and Bars. :) "Oh? You mean Stinky's Pub down on 4th St?"

Oooo. These are very good ideas. I like these.