My mostly hard sci-fi campaign

tkdguy

Re: My mostly hard sci-fi campaign

I would also avoid judgments based on current practice.

Take crime, while we may be content to allow multiple murders before reluctantly deciding to inconvenience a rabid murderer by life in prison at our expense. A close society with extremely limited resources will tend to be less forgiving and tend to be more harsh in final judgement.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would also avoid judgments based on current practice.

Take crime, while we may be content to allow multiple murders before reluctantly deciding to inconvenience a rabid murderer by life in prison at our expense. A close society with extremely limited resources will tend to be less forgiving and tend to be more harsh in final judgement.

I was thinking along those lines.

As for dead bodies, I was thinking about a burial in space type of deal. Spacecraft may have a section for storing the dead until they get to their destination. Ship doctors may treat the bodies so that they decompose more slowly. Does space affect the decomposition rate of corpses? Not to my knowledge, but I may be wrong.

Still tweaking the numbers. It's apparent my time frame is WAY too optimistic; I may change the timeline. I've also been thinking about changing many of the names to more appropriate names.

I was thinking along those lines.

As for dead bodies, I was thinking about a burial in space type of deal. Spacecraft may have a section for storing the dead until they get to their destination. Ship doctors may treat the bodies so that they decompose more slowly. Does space affect the decomposition rate of corpses? Not to my knowledge, but I may be wrong.

Still tweaking the numbers. It's apparent my time frame is WAY too optimistic; I may change the timeline. I've also been thinking about changing many of the names to more appropriate names.

I just had a somewhat creepy thought concerning capital punishment.

If you have Blade Runner level bio-tech, you could always yank out an offenders brain and replace it with an artificial one.

The body is a machine. Why scrap the whole machine when you can just swap out a "defective" processor?

A just as creepy but lower tech version is the Brain-in-a-Jar approach.

With not too far beyond modern tech, you should be able to keep a brain on life support. Tapping into the appropriate locations would allow feedback and communication, possibly even a totally virtual environment all networked into a real "Second Life".

This would be a great way to keep critically damaged crew from occupying too many resources until you can get them to full fledged medical facilities, and from there it's not too far to seeing brains transplanted into the bodies of condemned criminals as the ultimate form of recycling.

Heck, if you're feeling "humane" you could even keep the criminal's brain alive, being subjected to a therapy "program" to readjust the recidivism traits, before being partially integrated into the dead-net on sort of a work release program (monitor the waste recycling systems or something).

I'm not so certain. People can be very sentimental' date=' and turning grandpa into compost or building blocks isn't going to go over well with many people, at least not without a massive cultural change.[/quote']

Well, yes, but circumstances alter cases. For example, the Donner party.

As for dead bodies' date=' I was thinking about a burial in space type of deal. Spacecraft may have a section for storing the dead until they get to their destination. Ship doctors may treat the bodies so that they decompose more slowly. Does space affect the decomposition rate of corpses? Not to my knowledge, but I may be wrong.[/quote']

Depends upon what you mean exactly by "space."

A corpse in the pressurized habitat of a spaceship will rot just as fast as one on Earth, free fall or no. In fact, it might rot faster if the atmospheric breathing mix is richer in oxygen.

But if you put the corpse in the vacuum of space, it will rapidly turn into a dessicated mummy, and stay that way indefinitely.

Maybe an unpressurized chamber in the spaceship can be used.

Who needs an unpressurized chamber? Wrap the bodies in a burial shroud, tie a vacuum-proof rope to a limb, tie the other end to a magnet, push the body out an airlock, and attach the magnet to the hull next to the airlock. Done.

If slightly morbid. :)

Yes, but a little less morbid than the moral hit the crew will suffer, cooped up in the confines of the spaceship while knowing that the corpse of Joe is cooling on the slab in the next compartment.

Out of sight, out of mind, and all that.

If there were no pressing need to harvest the body's mineral components, it would be best to jettison it. But remember DUNE: "...but a man's water belongs to the tribe"

I'm still working on the numbers, since a lot of my figures are too unrealistic. It's one thing to be optimistic, but I went overboard. ;)

Anyway, I looked at this website to get a better picture on space colonies. I heard about the types of space stations listed here, in addition to the Von Braun Wheel. These are all represented in my campaign. But I just heard of newer models like the Lewis One and Kalpana One structures. Maybe I'll include those, as well as the Asten space station.

Well in my somewhat suspect opinion ;), the answers to many of these questions are actually dependent on the population densities. The larger the population and the easier resources are to obtain, the ‘softer’ the response.

Just looking back through history, a colony that is on the edge of survival isn’t going to waste resources on the criminal element. Lesser crime will result in punishment, labor or banishment. The capitol crimes, murder, rape, etc, will result in swift execution. Only when a population reaches a level of stability and luxury do we see the appearance of groups that wish to ‘save’ murderers.

Well in my somewhat suspect opinion ;), the answers to many of these questions are actually dependent on the population densities. The larger the population and the easier resources are to obtain, the ‘softer’ the response.

Just looking back through history, a colony that is on the edge of survival isn’t going to waste resources on the criminal element. Lesser crime will result in punishment, labor or banishment. The capitol crimes, murder, rape, etc, will result in swift execution. Only when a population reaches a level of stability and luxury do we see the appearance of groups that wish to ‘save’ murderers.

Even though these are people who are going to be our descendants, and not the of the people who used to just execute or maim most criminals?

Even though these are people who are going to be our descendants' date=' and not the of the people who used to just execute or maim most criminals?[/quote']

I don't think I am following you exactly, so I assume a serious question.

If you are in limited environment with limited resources for basic life, such as air, water, etc. where you actually have people dying due to complications directly attributable to that same lack of resources you will not waste them on anyone who is a danger to the society as a whole. When the question becomes trading the health and life of newborns and children so that you can divert critical life support and resources to keep a handful of murderers or rapists alive. Well not many people will say 'kill the kids so we can save the convicts'.

On the other hand, if the colony is large enough and established enough with a large enough surplus to where this is not the case, then there will be a tendency to warehouse criminal and dump resources into attempts to ‘rehabilitate’. And if it goes on you can have what we do today in the real world, a rotating door of crime/release/do it again/release/do it again as well as vast self contain cities with hundreds of thousands of repeat criminals.

It is all in the population level and density. Just because it is to take place in the future does not mean that the population levels of the individual colonies have to be in the millions or even hundreds of thousands. Even a physically large colony may not be able to actually support a large population. It may take many times the area of livable ‘surface’ to provide support per person than what we think of as needed on a planet. After all on a planet there are vast areas of surface that are not actually populated, especially if you include the oceans and ‘hostile’ areas such as the arctic that all tie into that ‘support’ even if it is just the air. In a truly closed environment the problems and necessities will be much more critical. With a bad incident on Earth, it will either dissipate eventually or you can relocate. But on a colony, a critical failure will kill you.

Unless it is Star Trek the New Generation of course. They would only need to ask the computer, click a few buttons and everything would be fixed :D

If you are in limited environment with limited resources for basic life, such as air, water, etc. where you actually have people dying due to complications directly attributable to that same lack of resources you will not waste them on anyone who is a danger to the society as a whole. When the question becomes trading the health and life of newborns and children so that you can divert critical life support and resources to keep a handful of murderers or rapists alive. Well not many people will say 'kill the kids so we can save the convicts'.

On the other hand, if the colony is large enough and established enough with a large enough surplus to where this is not the case, then there will be a tendency to warehouse criminal and dump resources into attempts to ‘rehabilitate’. And if it goes on you can have what we do today in the real world, a rotating door of crime/release/do it again/release/do it again as well as vast self contain cities with hundreds of thousands of repeat criminals.

I can see your point, if the people in the setting are willing to risk killing someone because of a mistaken conviction, only to find out later that they "spaced" (or whatever) an innocent man. Unlike people of the past, who for whatever reasons seemed to firmly believe in the idea that the guilty were being caught and punished, the people of the future have in their hindsight our experiences with just how often the wrong person ends up punished. On the other hand, even now, with that knowledge freely available and mounds of evidence staring us in the face, many otherwise intelligent and educated people have an unswerving faith in the "justice system" to find and punish the actual guilty parties.

So perhaps, after all, I'm engaging in wishful thinking in objecting to your suggestion regarding this issue.

It is all in the population level and density. Just because it is to take place in the future does not mean that the population levels of the individual colonies have to be in the millions or even hundreds of thousands. Even a physically large colony may not be able to actually support a large population. It may take many times the area of livable ‘surface’ to provide support per person than what we think of as needed on a planet. After all on a planet there are vast areas of surface that are not actually populated, especially if you include the oceans and ‘hostile’ areas such as the arctic that all tie into that ‘support’ even if it is just the air. In a truly closed environment the problems and necessities will be much more critical. With a bad incident on Earth, it will either dissipate eventually or you can relocate. But on a colony, a critical failure will kill you.

Unless it is Star Trek the New Generation of course. They would only need to ask the computer, click a few buttons and everything would be fixed :D

IOW, mercy is a luxury item

Conversely, punishment might be seen as a luxury. Execute your best pipefitter just because he murdered or raped someone? That's just crazy sentimentality. Work it out somehow, the perpetrator's friends would say. And do you reallly want to risk dividing the colony by pushing the issue? Looking at how actual small societies handle serious crimes, I would suggest that this is a much more likely scenario.

Conversely' date=' [i']punishment [/i]might be seen as a luxury. Execute your best pipefitter just because he murdered or raped someone? That's just crazy sentimentality. Work it out somehow, the perpetrator's friends would say. And do you reallly want to risk dividing the colony by pushing the issue? Looking at how actual small societies handle serious crimes, I would suggest that this is a much more likely scenario.

Giving into popular opinion and/or letting criminals get away with major crimes because "they're too valuable to punish" is going to annihilate morale and factionalize crew just as badly as the execution would. It's kind of a matter of what sort of social damage you're willing to let the crime inflict on a long term scale.

I suspect some sort of "docilization" device, procedure, or chemical would be the likely best-of-all-bad-options.

Judicial Zombification.

"Something's wrong with the #3 reactor. Take a security team to go collect Jones and wake his zombie ass up to fix it."

Finally, here are the populations! I included the location, year the colony was established, type of structure, and some notes to distinguish the colonies.

Space station come in four types: Von Braun Wheels, Bernal Spheres, Stanford Toruses, and O'Neill Cylinders. Von Braun Wheels hold less than 10,000 people. Bernal Spheres and Stanford Toruses hold between 10 to 100 thousand people. O'Neill Cylinders can hold between 3 to 10 million people, but tend toward the smaller limit.

Ground-based colonies are either domed structures (the more advanced ones) or subterranean. There is an underwater colony in Europa and perhaps in Enceladus.

Mercury

Colony: Vulcan

Established: 2052

Type: Von Braun Wheel

Population: 2,000 (mostly non-permanent staff)

Notes: Scientific outpost used to study Mercury and the Sun

Venus

Colony: Neith

Established: 2044

Type: Stanford Torus

Population: 30,000

Notes: Named after Venus' fictional moon, includes international team of scientists attempting to terraform Venus

Earth

Colony: Armstrong

Established: 2020

Type: Domed City

Population: 2,150,000

Notes: Tourist attraction, large mining industry

Colony: Clarke

Established: 2028

Type: Subterranean

Population: 1,125,000

Notes: Large scientific community, corresponds with Rimtown

Colony: Clavius

Established: 2025

Population: 575,000

Notes: Major spaceport, site of the lunar mass driver

Colony: Tycho

Established: 2044

Population: 410,000

Notes: Site of the Great Ray Crater, tourist attraction

Colony: Rimtown

Established: 2029

Population: 23,500

Notes: Only colony in the Moon's far side

Colony: Peacekeeper

Established: 2042

Population: 1,000

Notes: UN peacekeeping force, often undermannned

Colony: New Discovery

Established: 2040

Population: 2,700

Notes: International Observatory

Colony: Antichthon (lit. "Counter-Earth")

Established: 2050

Population: 5,000

Notes: Destruction in 2076 precipitates the Solar System War

Colony: Shenzhou

Established: 2027

Type: O'Neill Cylinder

Population: 8,000,000

Notes: Large industrial section, produces Chinese military and civilian spacecraft

Colony: Glasnost

Established: 2048

Type: Bernal Sphere

Population: 20,000

Notes: Residential/commercial station, large population from Cental Asia

Colony: Gagarin

Established: 2034

Population: 45,000

Notes: Produces Russian military and civilian spacecraft

Colony: Zedong

Established: 2030

Population: 2,250,000

Notes: Large Vietnamese and Korean populations, known for its "street food" style eateries

Colony: Goddard

Established: 2032

Notes: Thriving entertainment industry

Colony: Lagrange

Established: 2031

Population: 50,000

Notes: Old World atmosphere, known for its French cuisine, also has colonists from Asia and Africa

Colony: Tyr

Established: 2067

Population: 8,000,000

Notes: Large military, industrial centers, produces NATO and ANZAC military spacecraft

Colony: Asimov

Established: 2051

Population: 60,000

Notes: Major commercial center, produces civilian spacecraft

Mars

Colony: Hellas (failed)

Established: 2031, abandoned 2032

Population: 0

Notes: First attempt at colonizing Mars

Colony: Sagan

Established: 2033

Type: Domed City (originally subterranean)

Population: 2,500,000

Notes: Site of the Martian beanstalk, best Szechuan cuisine on Mars

Colony: Bradbury

Established: 2041

Population: 4,000,000

Notes: Industrial colony, processed ore often shipped off-world

Colony: Novgorod

Established: 2039

Population: 3,000,000

Notes: Becoming increasingly militarized, missile silo suspected of being built there

Colony: New Havana

Established: 2056

Population: 45,000

Notes: Cuba's only extraterrestrial colony, has a platoon of soldiers, home to many people tired of Communist rule

Colony: Dao

Established: 2035

Population: 5,000,000

Notes: Large military contingent, including an armored division

Colony: Bova

Established: 2042

Population: 745,000

Notes: Center of Martian terraforming project

Colony: Boyington

Established: 2060

Population: 123,000

Notes: USMC base

Colony: Newton

Established: 2069

Population: 250,000

Notes: RAF squadron, tours to Olympus Mons

Colony: Deimos

Established: 2070

Population: 25,000

Notes: Most colonists from India, New Zealand

Asteroids

Colony: Belters, Inc.

Established: 2045

Population: 1,500 (temporary)

Notes: Rotating crew, serve 12-18 months before shipping home

Colony: Kamakura Mining Co.

Established: 2045

Population: 500 (temporary)

Notes: Rotating crew, serve 12-18 months before shipping home

Colony: Hawking

Established: 2039

Type: Subterranean, but has small dome above surface

Population: 400 maximum, often unmanned

Notes: Has large observatory, often used to train people to live in deep space

Colony: Pax Mundi

Established: 2062

Population: 800

Notes: Peacekeeping forces stationed here, often undermanned

Jupiter

Colony: Shoemaker-Levy

Established: 2050

Location: Geosynchronous orbit around Jupiter's southern hemisphere

Population: 20,000

Notes: Tourist attraction, great view of Jupiter's Great Red Spot

Colony: Korolyov

Established: 2052

Population: 15,000

Notes: Some friction between Russian and Ukrainian colonists

Colony: Xinhua

Established: 2058

Population: 23,000

Notes: Scientific outpost, trade with New Horizon and Korolyov

Colony: Galileo

Established: 2053

Population: 19,800

Notes: Polymer industry, trade with Mars and outer colonies

Colony: New Kyoto

Established: 2053

Location: Geosynchronous orbit above Jupiter's southern hemisphere

Notes: Tourist attraction, great view of Jupiter's Great Red Spot

Colony: Terranova

Established: 2073

Population: 6,000

Notes: Also has colonists from other South American nations, isolationist tendencies

Colony: Seaview

Established: 2061

Type: Underwater

Population: 4,000

Notes: Supplies water to Jovian system, scientists searching for life under the sea

Colony: Fermi-Dirac

Established: 2049

Population: 3,000

Notes: Mushroom/truffle industry, trades with Mars, outer colonies

Saturn

Colony: Einstein

Established: 2061

Population: 5,000

Notes: Scientific outpost searchng for life

Colony: Hubble