Missile Deflection for Hand to Hand?

Psylint

Hey folks,

I've been working on an odd character build, and one of the things I'd like to do is be able to reflect anything coming in. So the character obviously has missile reflection, but how would you build it's hand to hand equivalent?

I was thinking something like:

Telekinesis, no range, trigger "block", trigger resets automatically.

But I couldn't wrap my head around it.

Thanks

Re: Missile Deflection for Hand to Hand?

Hey folks,

I've been working on an odd character build, and one of the things I'd like to do is be able to reflect anything coming in. So the character obviously has missile reflection, but how would you build it's hand to hand equivalent?

Thanks

Step 1

Determine the most powerful attack or DC (Damage Class) that this ability can 'reflect'. An attack more powerful than this can still be blocked but 100% of the damage will not be reflected.

Step 2

Buy a HA (Hand To Hand Attack) at about half this level. This depends a lot on what the character's base STR is as the DC of a HA with Advantages (see Step 3) can be increased by up to x2 by an equal amount of DC from STR.

Step 3

Buy a Trigger on the HA based on a successful Block.

Done.

Glad to help.

The biggest downfall to this approach is that it usually ends up being more expensive than the typical Missile Deflection/Reflection build. This is why many end up creating a custom HTH-Reflection ability. There is nothing wrong with that approach but it does require more work in balancing cost and effectiveness.

If 20 points is a fair price for an adder that allows reflection of ranged attacks, it's a fair price for reflection of HtH attacks. If I allowed the power, I'd charge the 20 points, with the understanding that it required a successful block roll, and call it done.

Hey folks,

Thanks

Ummm damage sheild, limit: not more than incomming attack,Only when Blocking?

Ummm damage sheild' date=' limit: not more than incomming attack, Only when Blocking?[/quote']

I was just about to recommend this. Probably the most basic, elegant way to do it. '10d6 EB vs. PD, Damage Shield (+1/2), 75 Active Points; Maximum Damage equal to Blocked Attack (-1/2), Only On Successful Block (-1/2): 37 Real Points'.

Or something similar.

I was just about to recommend this. Probably the most basic, elegant way to do it. '10d6 EB vs. PD, Damage Shield (+1/2), 75 Active Points; Maximum Damage equal to Blocked Attack (-1/2), Only On Successful Block (-1/2): 37 Real Points'.

Or something similar.

What if he's being hit with an HKA, Advantaged hand attack, etc.?

I go with the logic that, if 20 points is a reasonable price to reflect ranged attacks if you make a successful Missile Deflection roll, it's also a reasonable price to reflect HTH attacks if you make a successful Block roll.

Actually, I would be inclined to make Missile Deflection allow you to Block ranged attacks as well as HTH attacks, then allow application of reflection as +20 points to reflect HTH attacks, +20 to Reflect ranged attacks, and so on. It's the same mechanic, so why should it not be possible to Block both HTH and Ranged attacks at the same time?