D&D twists on Fantasy Hero Ok???

LordSolovar

Re: D&D twists on Fantasy Hero Ok???

Stealing from wargames... measuring after you decide makes for decisions having some "mystery" to them as far as them making it' date=' and it doesn't look as silly. I neither like squares nor hexes nor battlemaps. I like to lay down a flocked sheet and throw down props and let people measure if they need to. One advantage of also being a wargamer: lots of that lying around. =)[/quote']

And yet even some of the wargames allow for premeasuring to help level the playing field between players as some are better at judging distances than others. The grid levels that playing field for everyone and also helps adjudicate things like area of effect attacks and how much effect one gets if you aren't fully under the template. Either your hex/square is in the effect or it isn't.

Grids make it easier to count the space. However' date=' I also like the idea of removing the grid and requiring players to make decisions without counting out the hexes. Do your characters really have that precise a sense of distances? Even if I had the grid under my feet, I don't think I could count off the hexes for the various options in a typical Hero combat and make my decision in the 6 seconds my (likely) 2 SPD affords me to use a phase.[/quote']

Absolute Range Sense! :D

And yet even some of the wargames allow for premeasuring to help level the playing field between players as some are better at judging distances than others. The grid levels that playing field for everyone and also helps adjudicate things like area of effect attacks and how much effect one gets if you aren't fully under the template. Either your hex/square is in the effect or it isn't.

Okay, this is going to be a touch of beating a dead horse... but using a radius is the same in hexes as under a template. If you're under it, you're under it. We can dicker over the minutia of it all, but there's a reason I don't really play wargames anymore... the people battling over minutia turned me off to it. Measuring or squares/hexes will give the same results, in the end, as all fall under a set of rules. I prefer the lack of one because its just prettier to see miniatures, props, terrain and whatever else than it is to look at an off-white sheet of pleather with grids drawn on it with game pieces thrown on it. Unfortunately, most roleplayers aren't really all that into making all that, so it only happens when I bring all the stuff and paint all the miniatures. :( Fortunately, with my current group, there is another wargamer at the table so it isn't too bad, and lots of stand-in miniatures from the clicks fans in the group (not me).

pointing out wargaming is a big help. im also a fanatical warhammer 40k player. if i just approached the maps in the same way it would work really well.

I enjoy it, but I will say this.. you can't set it out for everything unless your terrain collection is seriously big.

I had a friend in the past who built terrain using foam blocks and a special cutter. They worked great' date=' but you needed a warehouse to store it all.[/quote']

For that kind of work, its often cheaper to just get the pre-done stuff than spend your time. For basic stuff, and a bit of space-savings, check out: http://www.war-zone.com for your basic hills and such. Its the same thing. The foam and cutter is pretty basic, there's a lot more out there. Try this article: http://www.rpg.net/columns/roleplayinginminiature/roleplayinginminiature6.phtml

They've apparently changed and wrecked all the links in it, but if you just look in your address bar and delete the rpg.net portion they work fine. I don't know why they did that, but it gives you some economical ways of getting terrain including paper terrain which is surprisingly good.

I agree with VDM at the end of the day; if you want to use the AoO rules from d20, you can. If you want to use the AoO rules from HERO, you can. There are some rules you put in and out, there isn't much difference among hexes, squares, or flat boards with rulers for all it matters. Go with what you're comfortable and happy with.

Stealing from wargames... measuring after you decide makes for decisions having some "mystery" to them as far as them making it, and it doesn't look as silly. I neither like squares nor hexes nor battlemaps. I like to lay down a flocked sheet and throw down props and let people measure if they need to. One advantage of also being a wargamer: lots of that lying around. =)

You can buy the flocked mats for cheap, making your own isn't hard, and props are simple. If I may self-promote a tad here, check out "Roleplaying in Miniature" under columns at rpg.net

I'm sorry, but I have to ask -

what the flock are you talking about?

Lucius Alexander

And a whole flock of palindromedaries

I'm sorry, but I have to ask -

what the flock are you talking about?

Lucius Alexander

And a whole flock of palindromedaries

While I'm sure you know and are joking, just in case I'll answer the question... =)

Flock is material that is glued onto a base to simulate grass, dirt, or otherwise. Everything from colored sawdust to rocks and static grass (actual strands that will stand up to look like grass).

Just had a thought I think I'll employ for my next game. Why not a marked string?

It would allow you to measure inches around corners, in odd paths, and basically however you like, and does not require the use of a grid. That and all you need is a ruler, a marker, and a piece of string.

*Decides to make one later on...*

Who the heck let Sweeny Todd on the board?

Welcome, rep, etc. etc. Careful, I bite. :D

Well, I have to claim a lack of prior knowledge of Sweeny Todd. First I heard of him is from the movie ads recently, and I created my first psychoticbarber identity back three years ago on KoL.

Thanks for the welcome!

Question' date=' generally the suggestion for moving diagonally on a square is that it's 1.5" (rounded down), would that also work for moving corner to corner on a hex?[/quote']

It is not hard to compute...

The length of one edge of a hex = width x sqrt(3)

The distance from the center to any corner = same as edge length

The distance from corner to corner through the center = 2 x edge length

So for a 2m hex,

edge length = 1.1547m

corner-corner length = 2.3094m

A diagonal move between hexes would involve moving to the corner of your hex, along the edge between the next two hexes, and then to the center of the destination hex. That is a distance equal to three edge-lengths, or about 3.5m ... 1 3/4" per diagonal move.

You can use that as-is, round up to 2" (it's not a huge savings) or round it down to 1.5" (like D&D) as you prefer.

In D&D3, you count the first diagonal move as 2", the second as 1", the third as 2", the fourth as 1", etc. This is easy to count, handles turns and zigzags in your path, and averages out to 1.5" per diagonal.

In Hero, count the first diagonal move as 2", then 1.5", then 2", then 1.5", etc. This averages out to 1.75" per diagonal move, is almost as easy to use as the D&D version, and has the same advantages in play. (Round half inches up or down as you see fit.)