Is there a 'random alien race generator' anywhere?

Alverant

In a threat in the Champions forum, I commented that it's better to create a "random alien race" chart than use Galactic Champions for a list of alien races. Whether or not you agree with my opinion, does anyone know if there actually IS a "random alien race generator" for hero like the Quick Superhuman Generator in the Champions genre book?

If there isn't, is there a market for one?

Re: Is there a 'random alien race generator' anywhere?

In a threat in the Champions forum, I commented that it's better to create a "random alien race" chart than use Galactic Champions for a list of alien races. Whether or not you agree with my opinion, does anyone know if there actually IS a "random alien race generator" for hero like the Quick Superhuman Generator in the Champions genre book?

If there isn't, is there a market for one?

I doubt it, but there's a rather good one for GURPS in the new GURPS: Space that could be used easily enough for Hero.

Not that I recall, Flames, but watch any Star Trek episode and you're pretty much good to go. :P

No, seriously. I'll think about this. There's something in the back of my head. Let me percolate. I may come up with something. Like I know it's there and still can't place it.

Here is a crazy thought...

Pick a couple attributes:

Body Like a...

Intelligence like a....

Personality like a

eating habits of a....

Get a "Monster Manual" of some sort and randomly roll page numbers. You could get something like

Body like an UMBER HULK

Intelligence like a MIND FLAYER

Personality of a PIXIE

Eating Habits of a RUST MONSTER.

Well, it won't work all the time.

Body Like a...

Intelligence like a....

Personality like a

eating habits of a....

Get a "Monster Manual" of some sort and randomly roll page numbers. You could get something like

Body like an UMBER HULK

Personality of a PIXIE

I'll get back to you on that.

Lucius Alexander

On palindromedary back

Body Like a...

Intelligence like a....

Personality like a

eating habits of a....

Body like an UMBER HULK

Personality of a PIXIE

Well, it won't work all the time.

I tried to bring it in under 75 pts + 75 in Disads, but it wouldn't fit....

I hope you don't mind that I named it after you.

AZATO

Val Char Cost

15 STR 5

11 DEX 3

13 CON 6

12 BODY 4

18 INT 8

14 EGO 8

20/30 PRE 10

0 COM -5

10 PD 2 Total: 10 PD (5 rPD)

10 ED 2 Total: 10 ED (5 rED)

3 SPD 9 Phases: 4, 8, 12

6 REC 0

26 END 0

24 STUN -3 Total Characteristic Cost: 41

Movement:

Running: 4"/8"

Tunneling:4"/8"

Cost Powers

5 Ultraviolet Perception (Sight Group)

3 Ultrasonic Perception (Hearing Group)

5 Infrared Perception (Sight Group)

10 Increased Arc Of Perception (240 Degrees) with all Sense Groups

18 Vibration Sense: Active Sonar (Hearing Group), Discriminatory, Analyze, Transmit (27 Active Points); Only When In Contact With The Ground (natural earth, stone, and soil only; -1/2)

7 +10 PRE (10 Active Points); Eye Contact Required (-1/2)

6 Life Support (Self-Contained Breathing) (10 Active Points); 1 Continuing Charge lasting 6 Hours (Recovers Under Limited Circumstances; Must breathe an atmosphere of normal O2 and pressure for 1 hr for each hour recharged.; -1/4), Costs Endurance (Only Costs END When Active (Exerting STR, moving more than 1 hex/phase, etc.); -1/4), Increased Endurance Cost (x3 END; Only In Certain Circumstances: Common; Only if Active (exerting STR, moving more than 1 hex/phase, etc); -1/4) END: 3 (special)

10 Alien Life Form: Azato: Elemental Control, 20-point powers

10 1) Iron Hide: Force Field (5 PD/5 ED), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (20 Active Points)

12 2) Claws: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6 (1 1/2d6 w/STR), Armor Piercing (+1/2) (22 Active Points) END:2

29 3) Tunneling 4" through 7 DEF material, Fill In (39 Active Points) END: 4

7 4) Oxidation Attack: Hand-To-Hand Attack +2d6, No Normal Defense (+1), Does BODY (+1) (30 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about two-thirds of its effectiveness (Only on metals subject to rust and corrosion; -1 1/2), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2) END: 3

Natural Abilities

Maneuver OCV DCV Notes

3 Martial Grab -1 -1 Grab Two Limbs, 25 STR for holding

4 Root +0 +0 30 STR to resist Shove; Block, Abort

5 Takeaway +0 +0 Grab Weapon, 25 STR to take weapon away

Talents

3 Bump Of Direction

Skills

3 Concealment 13-

3 Stealth (naturally sneaky) 11-

3 Scholar

3 Scientist

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 159

Total Cost: 200

100+ Disadvantages

10 Psychological Limitation: Loves Practical Jokes, Tricks, and Pranks (Common, Moderate)

10 Psychological Limitation: Carefree, seldom takes anything seriously (Common, Moderate)

10 Vulnerability: 2 x Effect Flash to Sight or Hearing (Uncommon)

5 Reputation: Unreliable Tricksters and Liars, 8-

15 Physical Limitation: Can't swim (Infrequently, Fully Impairing)

10 Physical Limitation: Azato Physique (huge, heavy, unusual metabolism and medical requirements, etc.) (Infrequently, Greatly Impairing)

15 Susceptibility: Telepathy over +10 level, Mind Control, Mental Illusions (contact with non-Azato minds is painful), 2d6 damage per Turn (Uncommon)

10 Distinctive Features: Disorienting Appearance; unusual even in a cosmopolitan galaxy (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses; Not Distinctive In Some Cultures)

5 Rivalry: Professional (Any other Azato; Rival is As Powerful; Seek to Outdo, Embarrass, or Humiliate Rival; Rival Aware of Rivalry)

10 Vulnerability: 2 x Effect Mind Scan (distinctively alien minds) (Uncommon)

Total Disadvantage Points: 100

Background/History/ Appearance: The Azato are silicon based lithovores of highly unusual properties. They are bipedal, massing from 100 to 200 kg and standing 210 cm tall on average, of a dull umber color, their bodies covered with plates of iron between which bristle "hairs" that are actually part of the creature's sensorium. They possess a remarkable set of eyes, one pair resembling those of Terran vertabrates and another pair of compound eyes, arranged so as to give it a wider field of vision than the Human without sacrificing depth perception. Their upper limbs terminate in iron claws that surround and protect the more delicate manipulatory tendrils. Their bodies metabolize ferrous metal and produce an enzyme capable of instantly corroding such metals rendering them suitable for consumption; this enzyme may be spat from their mouth or secreted from glands behind the claws. How they reproduce is unknown; they are quite willing to discuss the matter with outsiders, but each contradicts the others, and everything they say on this (and many another) topic seems to be an elaborate hoax.

Personality/Motivation: The Azato are actually highly intelligent, and easily master whatever sciences or other bodies of knowledge they apply themselves to. Social pressures seem to have selected for such intelligence, as what has been observed of their interactions with one another indicates that status depends on being able to outwit, fool, and trick ones rivals. Azato are always pranksters, but whether their practical jokes are harmless, malicious, or downright dangerous, depends on individual temperament.

Quote: No, really - pull my claw!

Powers/Tactics: The strengths of the Azato include their natural armor, claws, the "instant rust" attack, and their tunnel abilities (not just Tunneling, but Life Support and the vibration sense that allows them to know, for example, how far they are from open space, if someone is walking around in that space, etc.) If two or more Azato are actually working together, their ability to communicate via the same subtle vibrations allows secret communication. Their weaknesses include an inability to swim, weakness to psionics, and being relatively slow and clumsy. If not armed with ranged weapons, an Azato is likely to "go to ground" and attempt to attack by surprise, using its disorienting gaze to gain a momentary advantage while using its powerful claws to disarm and/or seize whoever is threatening it.

I think I'm actually still 10 pts off....

And open to suggestions.

Lucius Alexander

Copyright Palindromedary Enterprises

DUDE! I just pulled out of my head four of the most unlikely things I could put together in some ways to demonstrate how such a system can go wrong and you actually pulled something interesting and workable out of it! I am impressed.

I tried to bring it in under 75 pts + 75 in Disads, but it wouldn't fit....

I hope you don't mind that I named it after you.

DUDE! I just pulled out of my head four of the most unlikely things I could put together in some ways to demonstrate how such a system can go wrong and you actually pulled something interesting and workable out of it! I am impressed.

Thank you for the praise – of course I love impressing people.

I don’t know why some people are so down on random charts or random methods as “anti-creative.” Used properly, such things are an AID to creativity.

I don’t know about “workable” – depends what you want to use them for – but I agree the Azato are “interesting.”

And writing that up was fun!

YES! and Here it is.

Alien Race generator!

Found with a little googling.

And you’re next!

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary thinks that sounds ominous….

YES! and Here it is.

Alien Race generator!

Interestingly enough, it doesn't specify that the aliens are necessarily SENTIENT.

I got one that said they were created by another race. I had already created the Azato, so....I gave the Azato pets.

ADVENTU

Val Char Cost

15 STR 5 (Actually 20 or 25 depending on "configuration.")

11 DEX 3

13 CON 6

14/16 BODY 8

8 INT -2

8 EGO -4

20 PRE 10

0 COM -5

6/10 PD 3 Total: 6/10 PD (0/3 rPD)

5/9 ED 2 Total: 5/9 ED (0/3 rED)

3 SPD 9 Phases: 4, 8, 12

6 REC 0

26 END 0

29/31 STUN 0

Total Characteristic Cost: 27

Movement:

Running: 3"/6"

Leaping: 2"/4"

Swimming: 1"/2"

Cost Powers END

3 Ultrasonic Perception (Hearing Group)

30 Vibration Sense: Passive Sonar (Hearing Group), +3 to PER Roll, Discriminatory, Analyze, Transmit

25 Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees) with all Sense Groups

10 Scream: Hearing Group Flash 2d6, Area Of Effect (4" Radius; +1 1/2) (15 Active Points); No Range (-1/2) 1

5 Alien Life Form: Adventu: Elemental Control, 10-point powers

3 1) Life Support (Self-Contained Breathing) (10 Active Points); 1 Continuing Charge lasting 6 Hours (Recovers Under Limited Circumstances; Must breathe an atmosphere of normal O2 and pressure for 1 hr for each hour recharged.; -1/4), Costs Endurance (Only Costs END When Active (Exerting STR, moving more than 1 hex/phase, etc.); -1/4), Increased Endurance Cost (x3 END; Only In Certain Circumstances: Common; Only if Active (exerting STR, moving more than 1 hex/phase, etc); -1/4) 1

3 2) Oxidation Attack: Hand-To-Hand Attack +1d6, No Normal Defense (+1), Does BODY (+1) (15 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about two-thirds of its effectiveness (Only on metals subject to rust and corrosion; -1 1/2), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2) 1

11 3) Force Field (3 PD/3 ED) (Protect Carried Items) (16 Active Points) 2

22 Reconfigurable Skeleton: Multipower, 22-point reserve

1u 1) Compact Form: (Total: 22 Active Cost, 14 Real Cost) +2 with DCV (10 Active Points); Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4) (Real Cost: 5) plus Density Increase (200 kg mass, +5 STR, +1 PD/ED, -1" KB), Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4) (6 Active Points); Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4) (Real Cost: 3) plus Concealment 11- (Real Cost: 3) plus Stealth 11- (Real Cost: 3) 2

2u 2) Expanded Form: (Total: 22 Active Cost, 17 Real Cost) Growth (+10 STR, +2 BODY, +2 STUN, -2" KB, 400 kg, +0 DCV, +0 PER Rolls to perceive character, 2 m tall, 1 m wide), Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4) (12 Active Points); Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4) (Real Cost: 7) plus Swimming +2" (1"/3" total) (Real Cost: 2) plus Running +3" (6" total) (Real Cost: 6) plus Leaping +2" (5"/8" forward, 2 1/2"/4" upward) (Real Cost: 2) 4

Talents

3 Bump Of Direction

Skills

10 Defense Maneuver I-IV

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 128

Total Cost: 155

100+ Disadvantages

15 Physical Limitation: Not sentient (Infrequently, Fully Impairing)

5 Physical Limitation: Adventu Physique (unusual metabolism and medical requirements, etc.) (Infrequently, Slightly Impairing)

10 Vulnerability: 2 x Effect Mind Scan (distinctively alien minds) (Uncommon)

20 Physical Limitation: Blind (All the Time, Greatly Impairing)

15 Physical Limitation: No Hands (Frequently, Greatly Impairing)

10 Physical Limitation: Limited Lifespan: 10 to 15 years (Frequently, Slightly Impairing)

Total Disadvantage Points: 75

Description: The adventus (singular, adventu) are domestic animals of the Azato species. Xenobiologists suspect they were originally bred as work and meat animals (for the Azato do need both organic and mineral nourishment.) They are sturdily built quadropeds covered in thick red to brown fur, with mouthparts reminiscent of the Azato, and no obvious external sense organs. Although still sometimes eaten, those encountered by Humans are more likely to be guard beasts or simple companions. Like the Azato, iron constitutes a major part of their physical make-up; unlike the Azato, they can voluntarily, internally disassemble and reassemble their iron skeletons into either of two different configurations, which their remarkably flexible hides accomodate. Information from the Azato regarding their origin and breeding is no more reliable than anything else an Azato says, but the large "pouches" on their sides used for cargo were presumably originally evolved to hold their young, like those of a marsupial.

Lucius Alexander

Copyright Palindromedary Enterprises

YES! and Here it is.

Alien Race generator!

Hey, that place has all KINDS of random generators.

I tried the "Dark Ritual" generator and got "Ladies' sacrament of chains."

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary presumes that's just a coincidence.

edit: PPS (Post Palindromedary Stuff) Hey, there's a catgirl generator! Now I can replace the stock that P.U.T.A.A. stole!

Given the number of people who reputized me for it, feel free to challenge me again any time. :)

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary thinks we still need to start that thread "In Praise of Random Tables."

YES! and Here it is.

Alien Race generator!

One last (for now at least) random alien.

Sometimes the generator gives few details - sometimes it gives a lot. I didn't copy them down exactly, but this time it gave me something like:

A reptile race

Powerful nasal sense

Tentacles

Fine control of bodily processes

Famous for scholars

Internal structure very delicate – any wound can be fatal

Major technical achievements in robotics

Under stress, undergo distinct personality changes

Control a great government from behind the scenes.

Most of their species ascended to a godlike state – these are descended of those who did not.

I ended up with something that looks like it belongs more in a "weird modern conspiracy" game somewhere between X Files and the movie Men in Black than a traditional Star Hero type game.

I am also wavering on what name to use: I started with Stuvenda and then went to Bayang and now can't make up my mind.

Val Char Cost

5 STR -5

14 DEX 12

18 CON 16

5 BODY -10

13 INT 3

14 EGO 8

20 PRE 10

10 COM 0

5 PD 4 Total: 5 PD (0 rPD)

5 ED 1 Total: 5 ED (0 rED)

3 SPD 6 Phases: 4, 8, 12

7 REC 4

20 END -8

17 STUN 0 Total Characteristic Cost: 35

Movement:

Running: 3"/6"

Swimming:2"/4"

Cost Powers END

40 Shrinking (0.25 m tall, 0.1953 kg mass, -6 PER Rolls to perceive character, +6 DCV, takes +9" KB), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (60 Active Points); Always On (-1/2)

24 Life Support (Immunity: All terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents; Immunity: All terrestrial poisons and chemical warfare agents; Longevity: 800 Years; Sleeping: Character only has to sleep 8 hours per week)

7 Discriminatory with Smell/Taste Group (10 Active Points); Extra Time (Full Phase, Deep Sniff; -1/2)

5 Microscopic (x10) with Sight Group

7 Does Not Bleed (15 Active Points); Concentration (0 DCV; Character is totally unaware of nearby events; -3/4), Requires A Simulate Death Roll (-1/2)

Perks

25 Robot: Vehicles & Bases

Talents

4 Simulate Death 13- (+1 to roll)

5 Rapid Healing

4 Double Jointed is an Understatement

Skills

3 Analyze: Robots 12-

3 Bureaucratics 13-

3 Computer Programming 12-

3 Contortionist 12-

5 Cramming

5 Cramming

5 Acting 14-

3 High Society 13-

3 SS: Robotics 12-

2 Systems Operation (Robot Piloting) 12-

3 Concealment 12-

2 Chameleon Effect: +4 with Concealment (8 Active Points); Only to Hide (-1), Only when not moving (-1), Self Only (-1/2)

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 162

Total Cost: 197

100+ Disadvantages

15 Social Limitation: Secret: Alien operating a robot (Occasionally, Severe)

10 Psychological Limitation: If injured, compelled to flee or, failing that, play dead. (Uncommon, Strong)

30 Vulnerability: 2 x BODY Physical Normal Attacks (Very Common)

30 Vulnerability: 2 x BODY Physical Killing Attacks (Very Common)

5 Hunted: Paranoid Conspiracy Theorists 8- (Less Pow, Harshly Punish)

5 Reputation: Shadowy "Puppet Masters" behind many world governments., 8- (Extreme; Known Only To A Small Group (Conspiracy Theorists))

5 Distinctive Features: Alien in a robot body (Easily Concealed; Extreme Reaction; Detectable Only By Unusual Senses)

Total Disadvantage Points: 100

Background/History: _______ do not exist; they are merely a crackpot conspiracy theory of a classic type. They are said to be a tiny race of aliens who mostly live and move inside of robots designed to perfectly mimic Human beings, a typical sort of paranoid delusion; naturally it is assumed that they are the shadowy "them" who "really run things." It is said that they are utterly loyal to their own kind, each hoping to eventually earn the honor of having their personality uploaded from their bodies into a kind of legendary supercomputer, thus gaining a form of incorporeal immortality.

Personality/Motivation: The _______ are reputed to be agoraphobic, in that they prefer to remain most of the the time enclosed within their comfortable robotic vehicles; but if one takes even a single point of BODy damage, it must make an EGO roll at -5 or abandon its robot and flee, seeking a hiding place in which to go into its healing torpor. While masquerading as Human, it will supposedly use Acting to mimic whatever personality it wishes to project.

Quote: "No, of course we are not going to 'liquidate' you to insure the continued secrecy of our existance. How barbaric, and unnecessary. No, we do no propose to stop you at all. Go tell it to the unsuspecting world. We need not control your tongue; we control everyone's brain. Who do you think will believe you?"

Powers/Tactics: The _______'s supposedly innate powers have mostly been summed up in the phrase "fine control of bodily processes." Allegedly, their bodies isolate and nuetralize potential toxins and pathogens usually without conscious awareness; by turning their minds inward they can go into a kind of healing trance in which recovery from injury is greatly hastened. Normally, of course, they weild whatever imaginary high-tech powers are built into the "robot vehicles" that they "pilot."

Appearance: In the unlikely event that a _______ is found outside of its robot vehicle, it will appear as a small creature with a slender lizardlike body and head and four very flexible multiply jointed limbs each of which divides at the tip to form a "hand" of three opposable tendrils. Skin color is said to be variable but "seems to be linked to mood."

Campaign Use: Look over this write up, and please notice one thing; nowhere does it state that these aliens are EVIL . Yes, they could be infiltrating Earth (or wherever) for any of several nefarious purposes; they could also be agents of "uplift" trying to subtly guide the world towards some beneficent goal, spies of great galactic powers fighting a "secret war" between aliens that is in fact irrelevant to Earth, anthropologists merely trying to study a culture as "participant observers," or possibly doing something so strange as to be beyond comprehension. There could even be factions among them doing all of the above and more, each commanded by its own "legendary supercomputer."

Question: Is anyone interested in the process of going from random bits to a complete write-up?

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary notes that Shrinking Always On is technically illegal. We don't care. Oh, and Does Not Bleed is technically illegal except for Automatons. We don't care about that either.

Well -- Yeeee-aaa-yuh!

Then I'd better try to explain it while I still remember how I did it...

I started with

A reptile race

Powerful nasal sense

Tentacles

Famous for scholars

Under stress, undergo distinct personality changes

Most of their species ascended to a godlike state – these are descended of those who did not.

Several ideas came to mind right away - for example, Andre Norton's science fiction stories sometimes featured the Zacathans, a long lived reptilian species of galactic historians. I eventually discarded that model.

When you have disparate elements like this that you are trying to piece together, the first thing to do is to see what parts do go naturally together. A "powerful nasal sense" for example can simply be bolted on to almost anything that has a nose, and many things that don't (a gaseous being even would presumably be very aware of atmospheric chemistry.)

An example of things coming together was:

Delicate, any wound can be fatal

Personality change under stress

From this, it was easy to envision a species that, if hurt, drops everything, runs, hides, and goes into a healing trance.

Other synergies:

"Ascended to a godlike state" for people whose major achievements were in robotics, could be becoming "One with the Machine" - i.e. uploading personal identity into what I dubbed the "legendary supercomputer." Of course, once one does that one has no further descendents (if it's assumed the bio-body is abandoned, or the change only takes place near end of life) so "these are descended" from those who had not, yet - even if they eventually did.

Come on - these two ideas practically leaped together as if magnetized. How better to control a great government than by replacing key figures with robots?

The fact that their own bodies are fragile is obviously their motivation for getting so good at robotics. From there, it's not far to imagine that they prefer to remain inside of their robot-vehicles where they're safe. And from here the ideas just cascaded - they pilot the vehicles, "fragile" can easily imply "small," they use robot-doubles, why not just have them piloting the robot doubles if they are small enough, and -

Behold. It all fell together. A little lizardlike thing with tentacular limbs piloting a Human sized robot from inside, masquerading as Human, manipulating Human governments and cultures...the rest was details to be ironed out.

CON 18, Life Support, Rapid Healing

BOD 5, Vulnerabilities

Masquerades from inside a robot - call that Acting...

Before I knew it I had it all plotted out and was down to minor tinkering.

Of course, it did not look like a typical Star Hero race - it was more like something for a modern "weird conspiracy" type game, and in fact, was somewhat reminiscent of something from the first Men In Black comedy. That led to the stylistic choice of writing up the narrative parts with the "Of course, these things don't really exist, they're just an interesting paranoid delusion" tone.

And finally, I had described WHAT they where and WHAT they could do - but not WHY. Other than personal safety and eventual cybernetic immortality, what are their motivations? How much better to leave that a mystery! How can the players ever be sure if they've stumbled across an alien horror infiltrating the Earth - or the defenders of Earth against something truly terrible? Or merely scientists who conceal themselves out of some version of the Prime Directive? Only the Game Operations Designer knows - and even he may not have made up his mind yet!

Oh, and the names - Hm. Know what, I'm going to let people guess where I picked the two names I can't choose between!

Lucius Alexander

Remind me to tell you where the palindromedary came from some time....