Mental Deflection

Fireleaper

Re: Mental Deflection

I've occasionally toyed with the idea of having a mental equivalent of missile deflection for mental powers. The idea sprang from a character concept that I had but just haven't gotten around to writing. How would you make this power and what are your thoughts about it?

It's a bit of a kludge, but I'd buy Missile Deflection at the 20 point level (any ranged attack), then buy Based on ECV defined as deflecting mental (but not physical or energy) attacks.

The same rules for Mental Deflection (yes, it is actually called that) are on pages 75 and 78 of The Ultimate Mentalist. It works exactly as Fedifensor says. Of course such a power would not work against normal attacks (physical attacks and energy blasts).

The same rules for Mental Deflection (yes' date=' it is actually called that) are on pages 75 and 78 of The Ultimate Mentalist. It works exactly as Fedifensor says. Of course such a power would not work against normal attacks (physical attacks and energy blasts).[/quote']

Yeah, that is where I started, but it mentioned it was reprinted from the 5th ed book, so I went primary source. :) More for the humor than anything.

Oh...cool. I guess I've been playing HERO for so long that I don't even need the rulebook anymore. ;)

I've done the same thing too many times myself. There was an advantage I just couldn't find (wanted to know exactly what it stated, and if my memory was correct), looked under the power, in a number of ultimate books and I finally asked Steve. It was under Adjustment powers rather than the particular power I was after. *sigh*

Thank you all for your suggestions. I thought I was doing it right but it is always useful to have a second opinion. I have noted though that no-one has answered the second part of my question: What are peoples thoughts on this power?

I think it would be a useful ability however the point costs might make it prohibitive depending on how often it is used. Although If you were to buy ranged for it then it would be a really powerful psychic defence.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I thought I was doing it right but it is always useful to have a second opinion. I have noted though that no-one has answered the second part of my question: What are peoples thoughts on this power?

You could also do it by buying a high Mental Defense with RSR: Opposed Ego Roll, with the F/X of "I deflect (most of) the attack".

I think it would be a useful ability however the point costs might make it prohibitive depending on how often it is used. Although If you were to buy ranged for it then it would be a really powerful psychic defence.

Alternatives to buying Missile Deflection + BOECV + Ranged could be Mental Defense + Useable By Others + Ranged, or a Mental Force Wall.

It's a nice ability, but significantly more expensive than just getting 30 points of Mental Defense (which will make you basically immune to mental powers in a standard superhero game). Mental Defense is also always on - you don't need to take an action to use it. The really scary part of Missile Deflection BoECV is when you add Reflection to it...

It's a nice ability' date=' but significantly more expensive than just getting 30 points of Mental Defense (which will make you basically immune to mental powers in a standard superhero game). Mental Defense is also always on - you don't need to take an action to use it. The really scary part of Missile Deflection BoECV is when you add Reflection to it...[/quote']

Except with Missile Deflection you could possibly knock down things not aimed at you.

It's a nice power, used it once, not too over powering really.

How would you purchase this:

Mental Reflection (attack reflected to attacker only) - the Hero takes the damage normally, as if not deflected, but that damage is reflected back to the attacker as an NND & Penetrating attack (to the limit of the damage recieved).

Example:

Idiot is struck by MindSquid's 5d6 Ego-Blast, taking 12 points of affect after his pretty much zero-defense v/ ECV, but that 12 points is reflected back at MindSquid as an NND Penetrating mental attack.

Caveat: If MindSquid has 'Personal Immunity' he escapes the reflection.

How would you purchase this:

Mental Reflection (attack reflected to attacker only) - the Hero takes the damage normally, as if not deflected, but that damage is reflected back to the attacker as an NND & Penetrating attack (to the limit of the damage recieved).

Example:

Idiot is struck by MindSquid's 5d6 Ego-Blast, taking 12 points of affect after his pretty much zero-defense v/ ECV, but that 12 points is reflected back at MindSquid as an NND Penetrating mental attack.

Caveat: If MindSquid has 'Personal Immunity' he escapes the reflection.

There's no such thing as a "NND Penetrating" attack. That would make for an attack that has 100% chance of doing some damage.

There's no such thing as a "NND Penetrating" attack. That would make for an attack that has 100% of doing some damage.

Yep, exactly. Unless the guy had the appropriate Power Defense, or Personal Immunity. Essentially it's a really, really strong deterrant to the attacking mentalist to leave the brick well enough alone.

The initial target might still be lying face down anyway, with a total EDV of like... 2?

As for the damage shield idea... how do you make 'missile reflection' into a damage shield usable at range (back at the attacker)?